• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Critically acclaimed films you didnt really enjoy

sammy the squid

Distinguished Member
I finally got around to watching bladerunner last night. I was expecting a cracker :smashin: with all the praise it gets and especially as its directed by Ridley Scott.

I have to say though,ultimately i was left dissappointed:(. Yes the visual aspect is beautifully realised, and it really looks the part..however..i thought the script was a bit poor and the pacing woeful and klunky to say the least, i just couldnt get into it. I could grasp what the story being told was, and it must have been an intriuging concept at the time, but i thought it was poorly told.

I think the main highlight for me was that i noticed that the actor that plays the character of sebastien was also the same actor that played 1 of the 2 thieves in the original Knight Rider pilot and in another knight rider episode called 'trust doesnt rust' (featuring KARR)!

I thought twice about posting this thread as there will be those who strongly disagree, but then im entitled to my opinion. which made me wonder that there must be more critically acclaimed movies out there i probably wont enjoy!

So then, are there any movies you've watched that have been universally well acclaimed but you didnt think much of?*

TheyCallMeTJ

Distinguished Member

Badger0-0

Distinguished Member
I finally got around to watching bladerunner last night. I was expecting a cracker :smashin: with all the praise it gets and especially as its directed by Ridley Scott.

I have to say though,ultimately i was left dissappointed:(. Yes the visual aspect is beautifully realised, and it really looks the part..however..i thought the script was a bit poor and the pacing woeful and klunky to say the least, i just couldnt get into it. I could grasp what the story being told was, and it must have been an intriuging concept at the time, but i thought it was poorly told.

I think the main highlight for me was that i noticed that the actor that plays the character of sebastien was also the same actor that played 1 of the 2 thieves in the original Knight Rider pilot and in another knight rider episode called 'trust doesnt rust' (featuring KARR)!

I thought twice about posting this thread as there will be those who strongly disagree, but then im entitled to my opinion. which made me wonder that there must be more critically acclaimed movies out there i probably wont enjoy!

So then, are there any movies you've watched that have been universally well acclaimed but you didnt think much of?*

I was very tempted to get the lighter fuel out too :D

To tell the truth, I wasn't impressed on the first viewing either, visuals apart.

But it's a film that needs watching a few times to truly appreciate, imo.

My advice would be to walk away and watch again in a few weeks time.
And if you don't see it then, do the same again.

To answer your question, Godfather 3 springs to mind.

I've watched it numerous times and still think it's utter crap.

General Zod

Inception did nothing for me. I could easily have fallen asleep in the cinema...rubbish.

TheyCallMeTJ

Distinguished Member
I thought twice about posting this thread as there will be those who strongly disagree, but then im entitled to my opinion. *

And what an earth made you think you were entitled to a different opinion? What, you think you some kind of independant minded person in this society? :D

which made me wonder that there must be more critically acclaimed movies out there i probably wont enjoy!

Yeah, there are a couple. First is No Country for Old Men. I am actually a Coen Bothers fan but this film left me real cold. It had no meaning and too much staring at thin air but its not a bad film, just not as good as the critics say.

But my biggest bewilderment goes to The Magnificent Seven. What utter ordinariness. Its not crap by any means, just extraordinarily ordinary. I am a massive fan of Spaghetti and old westerns of which a great many of them are unsung and far better than Magnificent Seven. I think the fact that it has hands down the coolest cast in film history, we kind of want it to be the greatest movie and as a result most of us force ourselves to think it is...well just a theory ;)

TheyCallMeTJ

Distinguished Member

Well Godfather 3 wasnt well received anyway. Critics did call it a major disappointment. Personally, I actually like it, it was a good wrap for the Corleone saga.

Badger0-0

Distinguished Member
Well Godfather 3 wasnt well received anyway. Critics did call it a major disappointment. Personally, I actually like it, it was a good wrap for the Corleone saga.

Tbf, I was thinking to myself "was it critically acclaimed?"

I couldn't remember, but assumed it was, because it's Godfather.

Here's a suggestion then.

Any of the Star Wars films.
They're all tosh!

Sammy, you thought you were scared to post about Bladerunner?

Watch this!

(Dons flak jacket :rolleyes:)

TheyCallMeTJ

Distinguished Member
The way this is going we're gonna need a LOT of wood...!

Badger0-0

Distinguished Member
The way this is going we're gonna need a LOT of wood...!

:laugh:

But unfortunately, it's true, believe it or not.

I'll leave my reasons out for now, just so we can have some fun eh?

Bladerunner and Star wars slated in the same thread?
Should be interesting.

Last edited:

sammy the squid

Distinguished Member

sammy the squid

Distinguished Member
I was very tempted to get the lighter fuel out too :D

To tell the truth, I wasn't impressed on the first viewing either, visuals apart.

But it's a film that needs watching a few times to truly appreciate, imo.

My advice would be to walk away and watch again in a few weeks time.
And if you don't see it then, do the same again.

im definitely going to give it a second watch..i like to keep an open mind and have enjoyed quite a few pictures after the second watch:smashin:

dsw

sammy the squid said:

+1 with blade runner saw it for first time recently and felt exactly the same

Badger0-0

Distinguished Member
+1 with blade runner saw it for first time recently and felt exactly the same

I suspect it might also be an age thing.

If you're less than 30 or even 40 yo, I can understand your thinking, as it doesn't offer that much (apart from the move to a mix of Chinese-american language, that I really think will happen).

For us oldies, it's just class.

quarry2006

There's a kind of attitude where if the world and his dog tell you a film is great then the knee-jerk reaction is to say "No, it's not". Star Wars...well, criticising that is as futile as throwing doughnuts at the Chinese Wall. Bladerunner isn't a film I'd die in a ditch defending but I've always enjoyed it when I've seen it. Usually, there's a good reason why certain films are lauded above all others, though. I've just come away wet-eyed from my annual viewing of It's A Wonderful Life, a film which is perfect in every way. And yet, there are those who call it schmaltzy and syruppy-sweet. As with people who don't find Laurel And Hardy funny or don't get the groove of Stevie Wonders's Sir Duke, though, I just think there's something genuinely wrong with them!

bosque

Distinguished Member
The OP probably doesn't realise Bladerunner wasn't thought very highly of when it was first released, so his view was very much the same as it received on its first appearance. It was only when it was re-released 10 years later it began to gather high praise and has continued to do so ever since.

Nicholas

+1 for Inception; Meek's Cutoff; Drive; and King's Speech...:)

quarry2006

The OP probably doesn't realise Bladerunner wasn't thought very highly of when it was first released, so his view was very much the same as it received on its first appearance. It was only when it was re-released 10 years later it began to gather high praise and has continued to do so ever since.

It's A Wonderful Life flopped when it was first released, too. So there's a link there, although it's not conclusive.

sammy the squid

Distinguished Member
And what an earth made you think you were entitled to a different opinion? What, you think you some kind of independant minded person in this society? :D

Yeah, there are a couple. First is No Country for Old Men. I am actually a Coen Bothers fan but this film left me real cold. It had no meaning and too much staring at thin air but its not a bad film, just not as good as the critics say.

But my biggest bewilderment goes to The Magnificent Seven. What utter ordinariness. Its not crap by any means, just extraordinarily ordinary. I am a massive fan of Spaghetti and old westerns of which a great many of them are unsung and far better than Magnificent Seven. I think the fact that it has hands down the coolest cast in film history, we kind of want it to be the greatest movie and as a result most of us force ourselves to think it is...well just a theory ;)

Well i thought id be brave and air my opinion! the concept of conformity does get my goat at times hence starting this thread.

On the flipside when No country for old men ended, initially my jaw dropped-but being a coen brothers film fan also, after it sunk in i really appeciated the film. i thought it was well acted- especially Javier Bardem whom i thought stole the show as Chigurh. The film paced steadily along and i enjoyed tommy lee jones old timer breaking up the action and coming to terms with getting old and acknowledging in particular circumstances he was simply a bit of a dinosaur whom only had a bit part to play-if that makes sense!

Ive just finished watching Clint Eastwoods Forgiven.. *what a superb picture. I think he brings so much presence to a picture-even if his lips arnt moving infront of the camera..his eyes are busy doing the talking :)

sammy the squid

Distinguished Member

I had a read up after watching the film to learn that it actually wasnt recieved very well at the time of release and didnt do too well at the pucture houses either.

I'll wait a while and rewatch it. *I'll keep an open mind but i dont think my opinion will take a uturn, maybe i'll appreciate some aspects more.

quarry2006

I wouldn't bother. You watched it, you didn't like it. Have courage in your convictions, man! :)

TheyCallMeTJ

Distinguished Member
That's also a very good point :smashin:

Some you like, some you don't :thumbsup:

No, wait! There many films I disliked first time andd then appreciated it second time. A good example was Brazil, hated it first time but gave it a chance many years later and really dug it, now one of my favourite Gilliam films. The Last Exorcist, Batman Begins are other examples of films I didnt appreciate first time but love second time.

You now have the advantage of seeing Blade Runner again without any expectations and hopefully you might see a different film.

Of course if you do watch it again, you might find it even crappier and I may have to keep well clear from you for a few days...but flip side, you might like it ;)

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom