Question Critical process died windows 10

Sparky1970

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi, I have just switched on my gaming pc and I'm getting the blue screen "critical process died' message. It won't let me go into safe mode or reset pc, I can get a command prompt only, tried do restore to an earlier setting but it won't let me do that either, need some help as the only thing that may fix this is a clean install of windows ? Last night I installed an app from corsair for headphones and this runs the rgb fans too, not sure if there is some software conflict as i noticed that 4 of my 6 fans stopped illuminating but still spinning. Also was installing Microsoft Flight Sim from the Microsoft store as I have a game pass and this was taking all day to install ? As i'm out of the loop a bit with pc's I'm not sure how to resolve this.

If you can get to the log in screen,
Hold the Shift key down at the Windows sign-in screen and press the Power button at the same time.
Continue holding the Shift key, then click Restart.
Once the PC restarts, it’ll present a screen with a few options. Click Troubleshoot.
From here, click Advanced options.
In the Advanced options menu, choose Startup Repair.
From the Startup Repair screen, choose an account. You’ll need an account with Administrator privileges to continue.
Enter the password.
Click Continue.
Wait as the Windows Startup Repair Tool runs.
Once the Startup Repair Tool has run, you can then restart your PC.

If you can't get to the log in screen you need to make a windows 10 bootable repair/installation USB
On a working computer download the Microsoft windows 10 creation tool from here:
Microsoft Windows 10 Media creation tool website
Download and run the tool you will need an 8GB blank USB to make a bootable USB.
Boot off the USB and choose the repair option (not the install option). Then proceed as above from the troubleshoot option presented. Update your post if you need more help
David

Ok I’ve done the second option but had to choose the install option as it wouldn’t let me repair, all arms to be ok but 4 rgb fans not lighting up but they are spinning, how would I get them to work as they were working prior to installing a cosair app ?

You would need to reinstall the Corsair app or see which app was controlling the fans before you installed the Corsair app

Last edited:
Thanks for you help David, icue downloaded and all working, when I done a clean install I wasn’t quite sure what to do with the disk partitions so I deleted them and installed windows 10 onto the 250gb ssd, then when windows was installed I went into disk management and created a D drive for game storage. This drive is a standard 2tb hdd.

installed windows 10 onto the 250gb ssd, then when windows was installed I went into disk management and created a D drive for game storage. This drive is a standard 2tb hdd.
That sounds absolutely fine. As a final check go into device manager and check there are no unknown devices that need specific drivers from the manufacturers website

I've just taken a look in device manager and the only one I can see is in 'other devices' PCI device and SM bus controller both have exlclamtion marks next to them ?

In device manager Right click on the entries with a ! and try updating the driver, or go to the motherboard website and download the latest chipset drivers

In device manager Right click and try updating the driver, or go to the motherboard website and download the latest chipset drivers
I'll go to the motherboard website as the dont update through windows, many thanks

I’ve just updated the chipset driver from the Asus website and installed the application file after extracting and the exclamation marks are still there ?

What does the error code state?
Click on properties and details and post the hardware IDs for the problem devices
it will look something like this PCI\VEN_1969&DEV_E091&SUBSYS_79201462&REV_13
Additionally can you tell us the following
Asus motherboard model?
Then I can tell whether the problem is significant or not
1609519564238.png

PCI device -

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_A324&SUBSYS_86941043&REV_10
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_A324&SUBSYS_86941043
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_A324&CC_0C8000
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_A324&CC_0C80

SM Bus controller -

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_A323&SUBSYS_86941043&REV_10
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_A323&SUBSYS_86941043
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_A323&CC_0C0500
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_A323&CC_0C05

Motherboard model -

TUF Z370-PLUS GAMING II

Would I require armoury crate as it was originally installed ?

Would I require armoury crate as it was originally installed ?
Not sure, won't do any harm though
What are the error codes of the !
You can also try deleting the devices in device manager and rebooting, windows might find the correct drivers a second time around
If that doesn't work go to the intel website and run the intel Driver and support Assistant
If that fails try running the hardware troubleshooter
  • Start Run (Win+R), type cmd, and hit Ctrl+Shift+Enter keys combination.
  • When the UAC window appears, tap Yes. This will open up the Command Prompt.
  • Now, copy/paste the below code and hit Enter
msdt.exe -id DeviceDiagnostic

Last edited:
Not sure, won't do any harm though
Was are the error codes of the !
You can also try deleting the devices in device manager and rebooting, windows might find the correct drivers a second time around
If that doesn't work go to the intel website and run the intel Driver and support Assistant
If that fails try running the hardware troubleshooter
  • Start Run (Win+R), type cmd, and hit Ctrl+Shift+Enter keys combination.
  • When the UAC window appears, tap Yes. This will open up the Command Prompt.
  • Now, copy/paste the below code and hit Enter
msdt.exe -id DeviceDiagnostic
All seems to be ok now as other devices are not showing in device manager, I installed armoury crate but that didn't work, then I tried deleting the devices and rebooted but they appeared again when I checked device manager. Then I noticed Win 10 needed some updates and optional drivers, so I ticked the optional drivers and re-booted and there are no issues in device manager ! Regards

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom