1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Criterion SRP variations?

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by James45, Jan 21, 2003.

1. James45

James45
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Why do certain titles in the Criterion range have a different official suggested retail price to others? Some are as low as $19.99 on the site www.criterionco.com and others $59.99. doesn't make much sense. And I'm talking about the official prices listed by Criterion not silly S/H prices off Ebay.

I can understand studios releasing old titles at budget prices cheaper than their initial release but Criterion releases are surely fairly similar in terms of content amount and mastering quality so should really have a fixed SRP for all their range.

On a connected matter, Criterion have retail site links to both Amazon and DVDplanet and the actual prices even differ on there.

2. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,546
  3. Confucius

Confucius

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
    Generally, the greater the price, the greater the number of discs, and the greater the amount of work put in.

This LINK has the releases in price order.

Generally the prices are perfectly logical, the 4 most expensive ($59.95/$79.95) releases are 3 or 4 disc sets.

At the price point below ($49.95) we have 2 2-disc sets, one of which certainly (Armageddon) was intended to finance less commercial movies.

Below that there is the $39.95 price point and $29.95 price pont.

Can't see where the confusion lies myself.

4. James45

James45
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    cos some of the 59.99 ones aren't box sets, i understand why the box sets cost more, thanks for that.:rolleyes:
    I realise Criterion aren't anywhere as big as some of the major studios but I would expect them to standardise there prices a little more. seems ridiculous for films from the same range to vary in price by as much as $30.

EDIT: Apologies Conf I didn't realise that Brazil et al were released as three disc sets.

5. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    HI,

The price difference for Criterion Collection discs, is also due to their rarity.

The older releases (the ones that they released first) were deleted, and as such, very few copies remain in existance. As such, Criterion may have been sent a few surplus copies back from various shops or distributors in the US, and are now selling them via their site.

I have seen many Criterion releases sell for close to £50, even just for a single-disc release. However, most people on Ebay tend to over-exaggerate the prices, and are really just in it to con you out of your hard-earned for Criterion discs you may be able to buy new at a similar or cheaper price, elsewhere.

Pooch

6. James45

James45
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yes but if these films were released by anyone else would you have to pay extra because there's only a few left? no they'd order another print run. and yes I know they're not discs for the mainstream but it still smacks a bit of elitism.

7. museumsteve

museumsteve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,008
    guess you could call it elitism. Criterion have built a reputation and good on them I say, who gave them this reputation.? Maybe us DVD fansm because the prices being reached on Ebay are purely down to the buyers otherwise they wouldn't sell.
    Usual scenario where if you dont like the prices dont buy the discs, but personally I think Criterion discs make a nice collectors piece and I have every intention of one day owning the whole collection (purely from a collectors point of view). The choice of films can be questionable but as with movies from day one, it's all about personal taste I guess.
    I have a nice little collection of Batmobiles and other 60's/70's toys/robots, but have no intention of ever playing with them. They still make a nice collection though IMO.

8. groundy

groundy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Steve,

did you notice on MJN's link, that's a sealed copy of Criterion Salo :eek:.

No way of proving that's genuine without opening first though.

9. museumsteve

museumsteve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,008
    indeed..the only time it's not worth giving preference to a sealed item.:D

10. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,546
    and it went for $510 !!!!!!!

11. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I think Criterion have been left behind a little by the whole DVD revolution - when they made laserdiscs they were in a class of their own, nobody else provided the kind of quality package they offered. But now nearly all DVDs have great sound and vision quality, and lots of extra features. The price of the Criterion discs seems rather high in comparison (some, not all).
    In a way Criterion have been the victim of their own success - they proved that there was a big market for extra features, and then the studios moved in and took over. :(
    However, Criterion still make some of the finest dvds available. I just wish they still had the licenses to some of their LD back-catalogue. I would love a Criterion DVD of BladeRunner, 2001, Trainspotting, Fisher King, etc etc

12. James45

James45
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    £317 for a DVD!!!!! Mental! Why would anyone want a complete Criterion collection anyway? there's no way anyone would like all of the 140+ films enough to buy them.

on the other hand some Criterion discs come with a selection of extras others can't compete with like the new Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas.