Criterion: Life of Brian

G

graham.myers

Just browsing around cd-wow to see what I can spend my 50p vouchers on and came across the Criterian edition of LOB.

£19.99:eek: On play its £25.99:eek: :eek: :eek:

Thats a lot of pennies. Is it worth it. The R2 on play is listed at 14.99 but with an availability of TBA

I fancy this film but 20+ notes for criterion. I know they do a good job of the transfer but is it worth the extra over a traditional version

Columbia Tristar are supposed to be releasing an R2 SE in April/May this year with full co-operation/input from the Pythons. If it was me I'd be tempted to wait and see what happens with that one.

The Criterion's OOP now (I think) but I've never known it to be particularly difficult to get hold of. It's also been blessed with none-too-impressive picture quality.

I got it pretty cheaply from one of the Aussie site, less than £10

check them out they may have a sale on

oh bugger

it is

I just saw it and thought bargain, well lesson learned

BTW Graham, 20 notes for a Criterion is cheap.

Try the Brazil Criterion. I'm sure Mcmullanbrush will enlighten you as to its cost :(

Originally posted by Squirrel God
BTW Graham, 20 notes for a Criterion is cheap.

Try the Brazil Criterion. I'm sure Mcmullanbrush will enlighten you as to its cost :(

I understand some criterians are exceptional and worth the spondoolies. I already have a couple and had quite a few LD criterians.

but, specifically, is this one any good? If the transfer is not upto much despite the remastering how can a new R2 edition improve on that?

If the PQ is only so-so then I may as well get a bog standard version - not bothered about waiting.

I'm happy to spend 20 notes if its worth. I don't believe in buying branded goods and paying a premium for the brand if they're no different to genercic stuff - its the Yorkshire tight @rse in me.

Originally posted by graham.myers
If the PQ is only so-so then I may as well get a bog standard version - not bothered about waiting.
The "bog standard" version as you call it is only 4:3 pan & scan. Criterion is the only widescreen version available right now.

A new R2 Special Edition should improve on it a great deal if it is a remastered transfer.

Personally, I'm holding out for the new R2 myself :)

According to the cd-wow blurb, the criterian is supposed to be a remastered version.

Available for the first time in a 16:9 enhanced transfer, Monty Python’s Life of Brian can finally be viewed in all its – ahem – glory Monty Python’s Life of Brian is presented in its original theatrical aspect ratio of 1.85:1. Created on the high definition Spirit datacine, this new digital transfer was made from a new 35mm low contrast print manufactured from the original negative. The sound was made from the original stereo magnetic tracks. Telecine colorist: Joe Finley/Modern Videofilm, L.A. This transfer was supervised by Maria Palazzola with the participation of director Terry Jones.

So they seemded t have gone to some trouble to get a better print. what differently will the R2 re-release achieve over this to make it better.

I'm happy to wait for the R2 too, I'm just curious how they'll improve upon what Criterian say they've already done

I'd imagine the improvements would be somewhere along the same lines as the improvements Anchor Bay UK made when they released the UK version of Time Bandits - the Criterion disc looked no better than a vhs tape, in fact it looked the same as my widescreen PAL vhs tape I'd supposedly traded up from. The ABUK version of Withnail And I looks better (to my eyes) than the Criterion release too. Both of which were also supposed to have been remastered by Criterion aswell.

Yorkshireman? Tight ar5e? Who'd have thought it;)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom