Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

CRITERION EDITIONS NOT ALL THAT

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by TJSMANGINA, Jul 12, 2001.

1. TJSMANGINA

TJSMANGINA

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    is it just me or are criterion getting worse with there so called special editions.i have never seen withnail an i an was interested in getting it but looking at the criterion i might aswell get it on video.also my mate bangs on about how sweet his robocop criterion an its not even 5.1 never mind dts.i know it has the uncut version but surely a sweet film like that deserves a digital soundtrack

2. TJSMANGINA

TJSMANGINA

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    by the way i do own armageddon criterion which i was very impressed with lol an i do want the rock hang on im answering my own questions.i changed my mind criterion are amazing lol :)

3. Len

Len

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm not entirely certain of this... but when Withnail was made it was made as a low budget film, therefore it may well only have been recorded in mono. I have this disk and as far as extras go there is a very interesting documentary on it, but that's kind of it. I got my copy for £16 at Movietyme. It is an excellent film and well worth watching if you haven't seen it. But if your idea of a good film is booming soundtracks [don't get me wrong i love them too] then maybe it's not for you.

4. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Robocop was an early Criterion release, back then they didn't do anamorphic due to some player doing bad downconversions when in 4:3 Letterbox mode. It's only 2.0 Surround as they keeping it in it's original format as the director intended (same thing goes for ratio)

Armageddon is a good release (it's non-anamorphic because of Buena Vista, at the time the dvd was made Buena Vista refused to license out anamorphic masters to anyone)

FYI: The UK is getting a new release of Armageddonfrom Buena Vista, it's a 2 disc set, has almost all the extras of th Critrion release, it should be anamorphic and it should be the directors cut.

5. tee

tee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    You should really also check out Crierion's;

Beastie Boys Anthology
    Rushmore
    Do The Right Thing
    Chasing Amy

These releases should go some way to changing you mind - they're all superb mate. Click HERE for my reviews or most of these....