1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Criterion DVD

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by Lex, Feb 7, 2002.

1. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi.

Does anyone know why Criterion do not release DVDs in Region2? Some of their discs are Region 0, but the rest are all Region1.
    I guess it is down to not owning European rights?
    Of course I have a multi-region DVD, but it still a shame that you can't buy them off the shelf over here.

It is also a shame that they don't release more titles - they had a lot more on LaserDisc than they do on DVD. They are definitely the best DVDs you can get, I just wish they would release more!!:mad:

2. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    Hi Lex,

You asked:

1) "Does anyone know why Criterion do not release DVDs in Region2? Some of their discs are Region 0, but the rest are all Region1. I guess it is down to not owning European rights?
    Of course I have a multi-region DVD, but it still a shame that you can't buy them off the shelf over here."

Most of the time, it is the European rights issue, that causes the problem. However, it can also be down to cost, time, and effort into producing a UK version of the DVD. After all, unless the company produces a PAL master, then the resulting UK DVD print doesn't look too good.

2) "I just wish they would release more!!"

Well, they have released nearly 200 titles, altogether, and many are Limited Editions. I don't know how many more they can release. At least they make sure each release is given the best treatment that it can, at the time of it going on sale in stores! Unlike most British companies, who still release titles in 4:3 prints, with bog-standard stereo soundtracks, and a lousy picture.

Pooch

3. Rachael Bitchlist

Rachael Bitchlist

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    Criterion is supposed to be restoring THE LIFE AND DEATH OF COLONEL BLIMP presently. I can't wait! During the Laserdisc days the major studios could pocket a few extra bucks liscencing titles to Criterion, so they did so. Now, in the DVD age, they don't care to lisence much out. Criterion was in a struggle for survival. They're spposed to be over the hump for now, I hope so!

Rumours have circulated that Disney is going to lisence out stuff to them, older stuff that doesn't fit the company's pathetic new-fangled "politically correct" image. Stuff like, say, SONG OF THE SOUTH perhaps. I hope it happens. In general, the majors seem totally disintrested in restoring older films. Disney, Warner, and MGM have tons of stuff rotting in their vaults. I wish they'd knock on Criterion's door and play let's make a deal!

Long live Criterion! I have about 40 of their LD's and I hope to have that many of their DVD's someday. Best wishes!