Criterion Blu-Ray from Oct!

CrazyHorse

This is fantastic news for those of us longing for some genuine class titles on the ol' Blu disc (but perhaps best avoided by those who have an irrational fear of film grain/black bars, etc. You know who you are. ;)).

The list of first releases consists of...

The Third Man
Bottle Rocket
Chungking Express
The Man Who Fell to Earth
The Last Emperor
El Norte
The 400 Blows
Gimme Shelter
The Complete Monterey Pop
Contempt
Walkabout
For All Mankind
The Wages of Fear

Some great titles there and The Third Man, Man Who Fell To Earth & Walkabout (brand new anamorphic transfer & new extras :clap:)will be instant purchases for me.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for Brazil in the next batch.

Full announcement here at AICN...

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/36661

BIGRED

Anyone have any clue if these will be region locked or not ?

The man with great timing that i am i have recently bought both The Third Man and the Man who fell to earth on SD ....... great :thumbsdow Although would love to pick up Wages Of Fear !!!!

neeek

Anyone have any clue if these will be region locked or not ?

The man with great timing that i am i have recently bought both The Third Man and the Man who fell to earth on SD ....... great :thumbsdow Although would love to pick up Wages Of Fear !!!!
I'm afraid it's more than likely that they will be region locked - nearly all of Criterion's DVD releases are region 1 only, due to the various rights issues involved.

inzaman

I too have a feeling they will be region locked :(

I have the Third Man Criterion edition on DVD and the picture is amazing, they did a great restoration job on it. It would be nice to get this great film on a Criterion BD so heres hoping it might just be region free, or a UK version is released, like the Criterion version of The Rock :)

Pecker

Distinguished Member
This is fantastic news for those of us longing for some genuine class titles on the ol' Blu disc (but perhaps best avoided by those who have an irrational fear of film grain/black bars, etc. You know who you are. ;)).

The list of first releases consists of...

The Third Man
Bottle Rocket
Chungking Express
The Last Emperor
El Norte
The 400 Blows
Gimme Shelter
Contempt
Walkabout
For All Mankind
The Wages of Fear

Some great titles there and The Third Man, Man Who Fell To Earth & Walkabout (brand new anamorphic transfer & new extras :clap:)will be instant purchases for me.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for Brazil in the next batch.

Full announcement here at AICN...

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/36661

Many thanks fot this excellent news.

Whilst there are many classics there which I already own, I've resolved to only uograde to BD if I think I might want to watch the film again on my projector.

From that list I think that amounts to The Third Man.

For anyone who doesn't have the SD versions yet, I'd certainly take a look at The Wages of Fear and Walkabout.

Steve W

pRot3us

Distinguished Member
About time!!

From that list I'd probably buy The Third Man and Walkabout

May give The Wages of Fear a look, I've got Clouzot's Le Corbeau (The Raven) and enjoyed that.

What I really want to know though is ; When is the Kurosawa stuff coming? :lease:

me-uk

400 blows and 3rd Man for me! Could be tempted by Last Emperior and Gimme Shelter too :) Hope they are region free.

elicash73

Bottle Rocket, one of my favourite films, eagerly anticipated on Criterion for years... coming out on Blu-Ray? Whoulda thunk it. Not only that but at the same price as the regular DVDs

I doubt many of the titles will be Region free (it all depends on distribution rights), but this galvinates my desire to get an American player and leave Region B far behind.

Damoxuk

Yes just got the Criterion Newsletter and they list them as starting to arrive this October. So gonna get these. As I already have the complete Criterion Collection (to date) these will be a fine addition.

I wonder if the Blu-Rays will be numbered or just selected SPecial edition sof previously released DVD's?

paulst10

Distinguished Member
The Third Man
Bottle Rocket
Chungking Express
The Last Emperor
El Norte
The 400 Blows
Gimme Shelter
Contempt
Walkabout
For All Mankind
The Wages of Fear

Great news :thumbsup: my old R1 Armageddon & the Rock were Criterion, both were rather good transfers :smashin:

Although I think I may be alone in the fact that I have never seen any of the above list :blush:

Tejstar

Distinguished Member
Great news but hardly surprising given that they had gone on the record saying that they would wait for a victor to emerge before committing.

When is the Kurosawa stuff coming? :lease:

That's what I'm waiting for too! :hiya:

norealplan

Distinguished Member
...I wonder if the Blu-Rays will be numbered or just selected SPecial edition sof previously released DVD's?

From thedigitalbits:

"We've spoken with the folks at Criterion and have learned that they're still working out whether or not their new Blu-ray releases will use a new numbering system of their own (different from the DVD versions). They also haven't yet finalized what the Blu-ray packaging will look like. Rest assured, we'll keep checking back with them and let you know as soon as we hear anything."

neeek

Great news :thumbsup: my old R1 Armageddon & the Rock were Criterion, both were rather good transfers :smashin:
Well, the Disney Blu-ray of The Rock includes pretty much all of the Criterion DVD extras, so hopefully Armageddon will be the same (apparently it needs a new video transfer, which is why it's taking longer to be released)

MarkusThatch

Distinguished Member
can't wait to see the third man on blu-ray - absolute classic and beautifully shot.

Damoxuk

From thedigitalbits:

"We've spoken with the folks at Criterion and have learned that they're still working out whether or not their new Blu-ray releases will use a new numbering system of their own (different from the DVD versions). They also haven't yet finalized what the Blu-ray packaging will look like. Rest assured, we'll keep checking back with them and let you know as soon as we hear anything."

Cool thanks for the info

Nic Rhodes

Distinguished Member
Best news Blu ray has had in ages, some proper content from the masters.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Starzplay streaming service rebrands as Lionsgate+
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
JVC adds Filmmaker Mode to latest D-ILA projector firmware
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Bowers & Wilkins launches Px8 headphone
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Sky set to launch its plug-and-play Sky Stream solution