Criterion: America Lost and Found: The BBS Story

Karlin

Distinguished Member
Looks nice:

packagebbsstorybluray.jpg
DVDBeaver.com

Review: http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film3/blu-ray_reviews52/america_lost_and_found_bbs_story_blu-ray.htm

Only really a fan of The Last Picture Show and Five Easy Pieces so I'll persuade myself the others are expensive 'extras'. Those 2 are classic and I'd happily pay £25 each for them.

Anyone been tempted to buy this yet?

If you want to avoid the Queen's tax collectors and the unRoyal Mail looks like we have:

http://www.axelmusic.com/productDetails/715515064415 £68inc
http://www.movietyme.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=50180 £72.99
http://www.dvdworldusa.com/shopexd.asp?id=76279 £79.99

And Barne's and Noble's sale (or next sale if we're too early): http://www.avforums.com/forums/blu-...1441-barnes-noble-50-off-sale-criterions.html

John Hodson

As it stands, £55 delivered from B&N; as Milligan said 'patience is for dull buggers who can't think fast enough'. Mrs H is buying it for me for Christmas...

Essential.

TheDot

Ordering this from B&N myself, along with some of the 50% off Criterion- just need to decide on exactly which. Hard when I want so many but am trying to be sensible.

I knew there was no way I would be able to resist this when it was first announced, and that Beaver review has only solidified this. Its an early Christmas present to myself and although the price may seem a little hefty, when you are used to paying premium for disk like Criterions anyway, £55 for the wealth of films and extras (Plus a 174 page booklet!!!!) is good enough price IMO. Big fan of this era of film-making, so its nice to go right back to where it sort of all began.

John Hodson

B&N have just upped the discount on this set, which means that - right now - it comes to £46.52 delivered (ordered via the library link - see the B&N sales thread in the bargain forum). Chuck in some other items from the Criterion 50% off sale and spread shipping costs to make it even cheaper...

Dubliner1

B&N have just upped the discount on this set, which means that - right now - it comes to £46.52 delivered (ordered via the library link - see the B&N sales thread in the bargain forum). Chuck in some other items from the Criterion 50% off sale and spread shipping costs to make it even cheaper...

Great price but I'm sure ordering from B&N would involve also maybe paying import duties/VAT, right?

John Hodson

Nothing is guaranteed, but personally I've never paid any duty; all bar one of the items I've received have been marked as 'books'.

Dubliner1

Nothing is guaranteed, but personally I've never paid any duty; all bar one of the items I've received have been marked as 'books'.

Good news- I'm very interested in this but can't find it on the B&N website- I can only find the DVD...can you send me a link?....

Dubliner1

Thanks mate- may have to treat myself since it's my b'day tommorrow...with Christmas coming up and the postal services being so busy there is probably a better chance of packages slipping thru the system and not being held up for taxes and stuff :D

:smashin: :smashin: :smashin:

John Hodson

Just realised that you have to order via the library link to get extra 10% and if you are having trouble finding the set via the B&N search engine...

No problem; go in via the link above. Place in cart, sign in. Leave it in the cart. Leave the site; re-enter via the library link, sign in and the set will still be in your cart and reduced by a further 10%.

Dubliner1

Just realised that you have to order via the library link to get extra 10% and if you are having trouble finding the set via the B&N search engine...

No problem; go in via the link above. Place in cart, sign in. Leave it in the cart. Leave the site; re-enter via the library link, sign in and the set will still be in your cart and reduced by a further 10%.

Thanks a million mate :smashin:

DICKIEDUVET

Distinguished Member

Excellent John, Appreciate it. The next cheapest I had found was at DVDExpress for £61.99. Ordered at B&N :smashin:

TheDot

Thanks for the info on the drop in price John. Is bound to go back up and this gave me the kick up the **** I needed to finally stick my B&N order in.

Absolute steal at that price IMO.

pRot3us

Distinguished Member
I'm (pleasantly) surprised that DVD Beaver are reporting that the image and (especially) sound quality of Easy Rider surpass the UK release which I hold up as a reference level disc of how a catalogue release should be done.

We're in for treat :)

Karlin

Distinguished Member
DICKIEDUVET said:
...his comparison pics of Easy Rider the pics at the top which he states are the Sony caps look much better than the botton caps (Criterion) or is it just me ??[/url]

Look pretty much the same to me. A great deal of sameness. Very alike but different (because they are). I prefer the 1st one sometimes and then the 2nd one on other grabs.

I don't watch screengrabs though because they're stills, I like a bit of motion in my motion pictures :D

Screengrabs just give you an idea of what to expect. I read often people saying this version is better than that version and they provide 'evidence' and then it turns out the grabs are taken on different setups with lots of imponderables too.

These comparisons with "Dutch Blu-ray vs Austrian DVD vs Mongolian DVD vs Iraq Blu-ray" tend to just wash over me. I think it's the author thinking aloud. Comparing comparisons of comparison screengrabs. They are very nice to look at though because they give you an idea of what to expect and we have to be grateful to the author because it must take ages to do all that work. I'm always appreciative when people do this.

Just watch the film then decide.

We're in a for a really nice set here that's for sure.

John Hodson

Down another 2% at B&N today; every little helps... :D

Has anybody received their order from B&N yet ? Mine was sent on the 25th November but it hasn't arrived. How long do B&N orders usually take ?

John Hodson

Three weeks, give or take. And right now, this close to Christmas, take...

Mine was sent same day; I have everything crossed.

bosque

Distinguished Member
I'll own up to being a wimp on this release - I only really want Last Picture Show and am holding out for a separate release.

pRot3us

Distinguished Member
Has anybody received their order from B&N yet ? Mine was sent on the 25th November but it hasn't arrived. How long do B&N orders usually take ?
Mine was posted on the 23rd of November.

Still no sign of it, nor Night of The Hunter that was sent on the 16th.

They seem to be taking about 4 weeks at the moment, I honestly doubt any of us will see it before Christmas :(

DICKIEDUVET

Distinguished Member
23rd here too, Be well chuffed if it gets here in time for Xmas.

I was worried it might have gotten lost in the mail. Now that I know that we're all in the same boat I feel more reassured. :)

I really can't wait for this set, especially as I've only seen two of the films included here. There are a few real classics to discover and a couple of intriguing obscurities. Not sure how I managed to have never seen some of these, especially as this kicks off my favourite period in US cinema.

pRot3us

Distinguished Member
They seem to be taking about 4 weeks at the moment, I honestly doubt any of us will see it before Christmas :(
Well I'm absolutely gutted to have to eat my own words :blush:

It's here! :thumbsup:

I expect you'll all have yours shortly. :)

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Sonus faber unveils new flagship Arena speaker series
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Sharp showcases its upcoming 4K TV and audio line-up
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
HiFi Rose announces all-in-one RS520 audio streamer
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
What's new on Netflix (UK) for October 2022