crisis loans / buget loans

Discussion in 'Politics & The Economy' started by cebs_uk, Feb 27, 2013.

1. cebs_uk

cebs_uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +407
    Just seen on the internet , shocking imo.

Its very hard to get any of any of these as it is, not read or heard about this before.

The section online says it is closing at the end of march 2013.

2. Sam Crow

Sam Crow
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,666
    I tired to get one last month... Rejected

3. pragmatic

pragmatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,647
  4. cebs_uk

cebs_uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +407
    Yep those ones, anyone wanting to make a claim has to do so by end of march.

https://www.gov.uk/crisis-loans

https://www.gov.uk/budgeting-loans

I might be wrong about the budgeting loan but from my experience these are even harder to get.

Ivy, I know mate when I was looking after my son and 3 elder step kids on my own i got rejected several times.

I don't know what the criteria to pass is but the process is shocking, make you feel like you have to beg for a handout and then i reckon 99.9% they turn you down.

I normal watch newsnight/question time but missed the last few but I am suprised that I haven't seen this mentioned anywhere yet. Maybe it just been announced but still lets cut benefit and then cut the extra help as well.

Next election cannot come quick enough imo.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2013
  5. pragmatic

pragmatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,647
    Not heard anything at all about this to be honest.

6. Sam Crow

Sam Crow
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,666
    While I was applying I heard of at least 3 young single mothers getting them

7. rockmonkey1973

rockmonkey1973

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +263
    It is closing as in its current form as a national DWP run fund for emergencies. One will be able to get a budgeting/ crisis loan from the DWP when it is part of a need brought about the transfer to Universal credit. The main social fund will be transferred to local councils but and this is a big but... the budget has been cut to 2005 levels and the councils have no set instructions as to how they distribute it.

So that means they are under no obligation to offer cash payments and in fact a report i read last year and that i have found again (see below) said that 3 of the councils polled had no plans to offer cash to applicants. Instead applicants would likely receive food vouchers (sainsburys/ tescos gift cards) or white goods only. That said they will most likely have a small portion of the budget for emergency cash needs (travel and fuel).

You can read the report here published from CPAG so it is pretty factual. Quite long but makes for informative reading depending on your level of interest.

http://www.cpag.org.uk/sites/default/files/Delivering the social fund - London.pdf

8. cebs_uk

cebs_uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +407
    I've got no problem with help for people in food vouchers but foods not the only essential, gas/electric/travel all cost everyday and are things people on low income struggle with.

You are supposed to be able to get a crisis loan even if not on benefit but I know when I tried I got nowhere, probably be even harder soon.

If they have the funds but don't have to distribute them in any set way , what can they do with it anything they want or just sit on it for a long as possible.

9. rockmonkey1973

rockmonkey1973

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +263
    Yes it will be a real problem. I arent sure what the qualifying criteria will be but it may remain much the same as it is already... which can already be very difficult for some people to be approved just because there is no flexibility based on individual need. It is a funny one because both crisis and budgeting loans are there for people on low incomes who need them for all sorts of different reasons and yet often the very people who need them are turned away. This turns them into the waiting arms of the ultra annoying legal loan sharks and thus into high interest debt and further poverty.

10. cebs_uk

cebs_uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +407
    you nailed it mate. Still not seen this mentioned anywhere maybe as the end of march gets closer.