Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Cricket coverage - CH4 Vs Sky

Discussion in 'TV Show Forum' started by Lex, May 23, 2004.

1. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    It's been really good to have the cricket back on Channel 4 this weekend :smashin: The Sky lot are okay, but they aren't of the same class as Mark Nicholas et al

Interesting though to see how different their perspectives can be - Sky seem to be a lot more critical/negative. Yesterday for example when Shrek was in as the nightwatchman, Ch4 were saying what a great job he was doing, whereas Sky were slating him for halting England's momentum... not saying who is right or wrong, but it is just fascinating how these little groups of commentators seem to work, you find similar differences with the radio too...

Anyway, much prefer Channel4 - my only gripe is Richie Bennaud can be a bit too understated for my tastes at times - yesterday for example when Trezgothical got out, Bennaud barely even noticed he was so wrapped up in waffling on about when he played for Australia in 1692 :rolleyes:

2. thamesider

thamesider

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm of the opposite opinion. I find Skys coverage superior.

I always enjoy listening to Beefy, Gower, Holding etc. (Not Willis thou)
    Where Sky seem to get it right for me, is by pairing commentators from the opposing countries together.
    Its good to hear a bit of rivalry on the microphones, even more so when theres a hard decision for the umpire to make. (lbw's + did he nick it?)

Do sky use more camera's than C4 ?
    Watching some of the play over the weekend, it seemed to me that they have a shortage of camera's.
    They don't seem to follow the ball as well as Sky. On Saturday they were struggling to find a camera angle showing whether a ball had gone for six or not?
    Should be a good days play today, no early wickets.......please :smashin:
    I hope Strauss can get another century, Vaughan won't be able to get back in the side :rotfl:

3. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,905
    I am pleased that Sky's coverage is now over for a while as I think that whilst he may have been a great cricketer, David Gower is a very poor commentator as he feels that he has to keep talking non stop even when most of what he says is rubbish.

I thought that the star of the Sky winter commentary team was Ian Bishop.

Overall I much prefer the Channel 4 team but I think that they have taken a retrograde step by employing Sir Geoffrey as whilst his analytical skills are first rate he does prefer to talk about himself too much for my liking and youngsters watching cricket for the first time aren't interested in what he got up to before the dawning of time.

Sir Geoffrey had a little spat with Dermot Reeve when the first knight of Yorkshire pointed out that Dermot was a lousy bowler who only played 3 test matches and probably shouldn't have played them. Dermot tried to reply with good humour but admitted that the producer had told him to change the subject.

What Boycott doesn't seem to understand is that your ability as a Test cricketer is completely irrelevant to your ability as an analyst. Give me Dermot Reeve, Simon Hughes and Michael Atherton anyday as I think that they are the best of the bunch.

4. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,905
    On a slightly different note I was amused at the huge difference in the cricket watching public in the West Indies and here. The C4 cameraman was focussing on all these middle aged men with their ties and jackets sitting there quietly watching the game, pens in hand to record every dot ball whilst in the West Indies the spectators dress more appropriately for the weather and seem to enjoy the game far more.

The final point is that the crumpet watching the game in every ground on the Winter tour of West Indies was far better than what was on offer this weekend from Lords

5. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Yes I heard that little moment too - be interesting to see whether they will still be paired together come August time! :laugh: Boycott does seem to have mellowed a lot, but you can still sense that underlying arrogance now and again... I also saw it as a backward step bringing him back - for me channel 4 had been all about a new generation of people taking on the batton, having Richie Bennaud added the necessary historical context, I just hope that Boycott doesn't upset the balance too much...

Bob Willis (like Boycott) has that arrogant edge to him which can often grate...

Not sure about whether Sky have more cameras or not (i know they use Ch4s feed, but whether they have their own additional cams there too I don't know), I definitely think that they use Hawkeye a lot more than channel 4 do though...

I like Botham in small doses, but sometimes he engages his mouth before his brain - the amount of times I have heard him contradict himself is almost funny... and wasn't he very publicly calling for Nasser to be dropped last week - wonder what he thinks now :laugh:

Great win today anyway - English cricket is looking more positive than I can remember right now :smashin:

6. thamesider

thamesider

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well done Strauss.
    Definitely a dilemma for the selectors now, only Nasser prevented a second century :rotfl:

Great victory well done England :clap:

7. Spligsey

Spligsey
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +199
    Just a few casual observations.

Good to see Boycs back on the box. He's always worth a place on any panel.

Mark Nicolas loves himself too much.

"Ohh yah - yahhhhhhhhh"

Benaud is a class act.

Botham has lost it.

Allott never had it

Michael Holding is the guvnor.

Atherton cannot do end of match presentations.

Gower is not a good presenter.

Dermot Reeve is good.

It's about time they employed Navjot Sidhu a bit more for commentary.
    (as a neutral)

"When you dine with the devil - you need a long spoon"

Adz

8. scrapbook

scrapbook

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +550
    I'm with you all the way on this one!

9. Logo Hater

Logo Hater

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Well I'd like it back on the Beeb, all those frustrating ad breaks annoy the hell out of me. :lease: :lease:

10. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Yeah but when you're as good as he is you're allowed a little self-lovin :laugh:

Definitely agree.

:laugh: Give they guy a break, I'm sure it was his first time... (didn't Reeve used to do it?)

Never had dinner with Botham, but thanks for the tip :smashin:

11. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Yep, adverts suck big time! :mad: :censored:

12. Harj

Harj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    yeah a bit of Sidhu is always good for livining things up a bit, my fav's are:-

"My idea of a bird is 36-24-36".

"Sri Lankan score is running like an Indian taxi meter"

"If Indian batsmen were given proper fishing lessons, they wouldn't go fishing for the ball outside the off stump."

And for more check out http://www.sidhuisms.com/winners2.htm

13. HMHB

HMHB
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,489
    One thing that Sky/Channel 4 has done is to bring the coverage of the play on by leaps and bounds. No longer to we have just the one camera at one end of the ground. We can now have 3 or 4 different replays of every ball bowled if required - all from slightly different angles. We have excellent graphical statistics of every run scored. We have the Hawkeye thingy which is superb.

14. Spligsey

Spligsey
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +199
    :D classic Sidhu mate.

I remember a couple of years back when the Indians were playing Australia.
    He had all the Aussie pundits in stitches with his sayings.

He's a top bloke.

Adz

15. HMHB

HMHB
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,489
    I was going to start a new thread in the general section - but I thought this one would attract the cricket fans.
    Hussain has officially retired BBC story
    Do you think it's the right time for him to pack in ? I think he's probably got it about right - finish on top.

16. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I am sad to see him go but I can understand why he has done it - after suffering at the hands of the media for years he has decided to go whilst they are all wanting him to stay, as he said he will be retired a long time and so now he will always be able to look back and feel good about leaving at the top on his terms as opposed to being kicked out in three or four tests time...

He has just said that he will be joining Sky's commentary team - will be interesting to see how he sits alongsoie the likes of Willis and Allott... Funny cos he said at his press conference that he would take some time to weigh up his options, then an hour later he decides to join Sky - another well thought out decision there then!! :D

17. FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I very much hope Sky television gets full Cricket coverage without highlights being made available to terrestrial television.

I don't have Sky.

18. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    The next test match vs NZ is only available on Sky... :(