Creek Evolution amplifiers

foxmeister

Established Member
Reaction score
How do these amps sound and perform (Evo & Evo 2)?

I gather Creek are a good brand in audio, but havent had the pleasure myself of hearing any items. There is one 2nd hand Evo currently for sale and one new Evo 2 at a good price i see.

I was initially going for a Yamaha AS500 but seeing i can get the Evo 2 for around double the Yamaha, is it worth pushing budget for it? Similar power wise so really depends on sound i think.

Also, what are the differences between Evo 1 and 2, similar specs other than Evo 2 can seperate pre and power amp from what i have gathered.

I think they are superb amps, and certainly my favourites at that price mark. I currently have a Creek Evolution 5350 amp which I love to bits, but I have previously owned a Creek Evo 2 amp too.

I love their dynamic nature, with impressive detail. Plenty of power too. Never heard a Yamaha amp so can't comment how they compare.

They don't come with a phono stage as standard, but you can, like I have done, buy one of the Creek phono boards that are dead easy to insert and top quality.

I never heard the original Evo amps but all the reviews suggest that the Evo 2 was a step up.

I also particularly like the Creek look, very simple yet very smart.

If you're looking at the 2nd hand one on Ebay from Acton Gate Audio then I can vouch for that retailer personally. I recently bought an Evo 2 CD player from them to compliment my 5350 amp, it makes for a fantastic combination.

From what I've seen lately good condition 2nd hand/ex demo Evo 2's go for around the £350-£400 mark, and I'd be surprised if you were disappointed.

It is pretty hard to find any fault with the CREEK amps, but I will remind you that these are minimalist amps. That's neither good nor bad, I simply want you to understand what you are getting for your money.

In terms of features the Yamaha AS500 and the Creek amps are not comparable. However, if all you want is a very basic straight forward amp, then for the money, the Creek are a good choice.

Again, I'm not criticizing either choice. Just wanting to make sure you are clear of what you are getting in each amp.

Again, completely different feature set, but the Rotel RA12 is a very sweet 60w/ch amp with built-in DAC, priced at about £599.

So, don't just look at amps, but rather ask yourself what you really want and need? What are your preferences and priorities?

If you are willing to sacrifice a bit of quality in exchange for power, yet still maintain acceptable quality, the Yamaha is a good choice. Bearing in mind, they make better Yamaha Amps - AS700, AS1000, AS2000.

If you are willing to sacrifice features for quality, then the Creek can't be faulted.

So, rather than look at amps, first look at what you want and need, then find amps to fit those wants and needs. If that is the Creek, then more power to you.

All, I'm saying it know and understand the choices you are making.

For what it is worth.

Steve/bluewizard

Last edited:
I think they are superb amps, and certainly my favourites at that price mark. I currently have a Creek Evolution 5350 amp which I love to bits, but I have previously owned a Creek Evo 2 amp too.

I love their dynamic nature, with impressive detail. Plenty of power too. Never heard a Yamaha amp so can't comment how they compare.

They don't come with a phono stage as standard, but you can, like I have done, buy one of the Creek phono boards that are dead easy to insert and top quality.

I never heard the original Evo amps but all the reviews suggest that the Evo 2 was a step up.

I also particularly like the Creek look, very simple yet very smart.

If you're looking at the 2nd hand one on Ebay from Acton Gate Audio then I can vouch for that retailer personally. I recently bought an Evo 2 CD player from them to compliment my 5350 amp, it makes for a fantastic combination.

From what I've seen lately good condition 2nd hand/ex demo Evo 2's go for around the £350-£400 mark, and I'd be surprised if you were disappointed.

Thanks for the info, unfortunately its the original Evo im looking at as my system will be black finish, i would prefer the Evo 2 out of them so would probabaly hold off just now.

It is pretty hard to find any fault with the CREEK amps, but I will remind you that these are minimalist amps. That's neither good nor bad, I simply want you to understand what you are getting for your money.

In terms of features the Yamaha AS500 and the Creek amps are not comparable. However, if all you want is a very basic straight forward amp, then for the money, the Creek are a good choice.

Again, I'm not criticizing either choice. Just wanting to make sure you are clear of what you are getting in each amp.

Again, completely different feature set, but the Rotel RA12 is a very sweet 60w/ch amp with built-in DAC, priced at about £599.

So, don't just look at amps, but rather ask yourself what you really want and need? What are your preferences and priorities?

If you are willing to sacrifice a bit of quality in exchange for power, yet still maintain acceptable quality, the Yamaha is a good choice. Bearing in mind, they make better Yamaha Amps - AS700, AS1000, AS2000.

If you are willing to sacrifice features for quality, then the Creek can't be faulted.

So, rather than look at amps, first look at what you want and need, then find amps to fit those wants and needs. If that is the Creek, then more power to you.

All, I'm saying it know and understand the choices you are making.

For what it is worth.

Steve/bluewizard

Very good points Steve, and thanks for clarification.

My problem is, i always look for better, even after making a decision.

I am aiming to build a good starter seperates system, and had chose the Yamaha due to its reviews, good power and name i trust really.

But after seeing a good deal on the Creek Evo 2(Gone by time i responded) i am just wondering if it would be better to push the budget slightly for a better home audio brand.

Priority is to build a system to incorporate CDP, Network Streamer with digital radio and keep it simple but sounding good. Probably better sticking with the Yamaha for time being i reckon.

Thanks again guys.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom