Creed II 4K Blu-ray Review & Comments

Casimir Harlow

Movies Editor
Reaction score
Thanks @Casimir Harlow :smashin:
Good summary of the film and 4k disc and agree on all levels.
Movie is basically a rehash of previous Rocky's (but no bad thing - as we get what we want).
Picture is solid and excellent in the arena segments - sound is superb.
I would have preferred more use of Dolph and an expanded Drago storyline though.

This one was a completely unnecessary episode of the Rocky Saga.
To me it was even the weakest out of all the films. The previous Creed is one of my favourite, but i didn't enjoy Creed II at all. It didn't give me goose bumps or any type of excitement... Stallone seemed like he is very bored of this role as well... :confused:

I hope they won't do a TV show of Rocky. :)

A disappointing sequel. A hybrid of Rocky III & IV, but it fails to live up to either. Another fine performance from Michael B. Jordan, but he and his character are largely wasted. Drago Jnr's story was far more compelling and I found myself wishing the movie had focused on him instead. Not a good sign.

Ryan Coogler's direction is missed, especially in the fight scenes and training montages; highlights of the previous film. If a third Creed movie is made the producers really need to bring him back.

Last edited:
Thanks Cas, was like watching rocky 4 all over again!!

I struggle to like Adonis Creed though, comes across as someone with an attitude and chip on his shoulder, part of me was cheering the other chap on!

Adonis is no Rocky as a character but Stallone still going strong with some great entertaining movies like The Expendables and TBH I liked Sly's character in Bullet To The Head even if the movie all round was just ok. Cheers Cas.

A streaming pile of turd, I didn't give 2 shit's about the main boxer. Go watch rocky1 to 4 again instead

So, heavyweight champion of the world Adonis Creed gets ready for his toughest fight by sparring with a guy who looks like a cross between an ex-con and a tramp. With one foot in a car tyre? Hmmm.

Just watched it this evening and loved it. Tears of nostalgia in my eyes during some scenes and well worth the wait. Glad I avoided anything to do with it up until tonight. Brilliant.

It was okay, first one was better, great picture quality esp around the boxing ring.
Yeah, you could not help but think baby Drago vs baby Apollo, 30 years on.
I watched the original Rocky IV back in the cinema then and I agree it did cause some resentment from both sides as the cold war was still going on....At least our Soviet friends could dance to James Brown....................... Coming to Gulag ... cell to cell, coast to coast :D

Big Rocky fan and liked the first Creed movie, but this is just generic guff.

You would think that after so many years the fight scenes would get better and better, but they just look so poor and badly CGI'd.

Fell asleep in the cinema after 35 mins and Mrs woke me up to watch the rest.

Personally I would wait for netflix to have it in a few months.

Watching this now and it’s all very passable but for me suffers from the same problem as the Star Wars sequels, it’s only when the original characters are on screen that i’m really interested.

Below par compared to Creed.

Th
e turnaround moment of young Creed (Michael B Jordan) after a devastating defeat was unconvincing. It's supposed to be a key moment of every Rocky movie - where the character finds a breakthrough by delving deep in to himself, questioning WHY; suddenly a surge of energy flows through him and the audience; cue the montage. What we got was a below the radar quiet turnaround involving Creed punching a bag whilst his baby watched. So underwhelming for a key moment of the movie. I just found his build up to the rematch totally unconvincing.

Secondly, because of the above and the fact Creed now has everything, you struggle to feel sympathy for him and his so-called demons. Does he have demons? Why was he so bent on fighting the Russian? His motivation just didn't ring true nor his fallout with Rocky.

Finally, the back story of Drago was far more interesting - opportunity missed. Maybe they could have ended the fight in a respectful embrace? Say something like in the film Warrior when Tom Hardy's character and his brother make peace (in a tragic way after breaking his arm/shoulder). That sounds like a better resolution to me.

It just lacked the emotional moments of a Rocky movie. New director perhaps to blame?

6/10

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Cas,

Creed surprised me and I do love rocky 3/4 so this will no doubt get me all nostalgic :D

I watched the original Rocky IV back in the cinema then and I agree it did cause some resentment from both sides as the cold war was still going on....At least our Soviet friends could dance to James Brown....................... Coming to Gulag ... cell to cell, coast to coast :D

The anthem scene before the fight is pure class & enough to make even the coldest of cold warriors briefly consider the merits of Marxism–Leninism :D

The staredown is just fantastic with its lingering, Sergio Leone like close-up shot of their eyes.

The anthem scene before the fight is pure class & enough to make even the coldest of cold warriors briefly consider the merits of Marxism–Leninism :D

The staredown is just fantastic with its lingering, Sergio Leone like close-up shot of their eyes.

Etched the minds forever :)

I’m a huge Rocky fan and loved the first Creed.
I enjoyed this one but felt that Drago Sr was hugely underused. A bit like the villain in Spectre.
I thought the restaurant scene with Drago and Rocky was a missed opportunity for instance.
Still loved it though but maybe just me but I was itching for a vince deCola track or a Robert Tepper track lol

Lots of spoilers there @silent ninja for anyone who hasn't seen it yet.

Watched this last night and enjoyed it but they don't have the power and tension of the originals.

Also - anyone notice the error?
child deaf, mum goes out and slams door...baby starts crying

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom