1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Credits on Fellowship of the Ring. Taking the **** or what?!!!

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by Squirrel God, Dec 28, 2002.

1. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Okay, just watched the extended version of FOTR. First time I've seen any version, never read the books before apart from The Hobbit when I was a wee lad which I didn't like. Overall, thought FOTR was good (just good though, not great, not magnificent). First disk I found a bit dull in many places. Second disk was much better since they started the journey to Mordor and the action got more involved. Particularly like the big orc in the mines :D and the bit in the Elven forest :)

However, here comes a rant.......

There is absolutely no need for the credits on the extended version to be 27 MINS 30 SECONDS!!!!!!! :eek: :rolleyes:

Especially given that the last 19 MINS 50 SECONDS :eek: of the credits are to give "special thanks" to all the Charter Members of the LOTR Official Fan Club.

Now, excuse me but I know that even without the credits, the film still wouldn't fit on one disk because of the commentaries, dts, etc, BUT even so...... 19 MINS 50 SECONDS of credits to thank a bunch of anoraks who are members of the fan club is taking the p*ss!!!!

I always watch movies with the timer counting downards, and so I was expecting FOTR to continue further than it did. As such I found the ending very abrupt indeed and very anti-climactic as I was just sitting there stunned - half-hoping for some more footage interspersed into the credits :rolleyes:

As these were not forthcoming, I then turned into Dave Lister and screamed "SPIN ON!!" at the screen as I hit FF on the remote.
    Damn annoying to say the least....... :mad:

Surely these credits could have gone elsewhere, as an extra on one of the 4 disks if they were really needed :rolleyes:

Were these guys thanked on the 2-disk and theatrical releases??

BTW, I hope TTT will be better than FOTR as I don't fancy forking out another 20 odd notes for another 4 disk otherwise ... By the reviews so far on this forum, it looks like it will be so I'll content myself with that for now :D

2. Bone Daddy

Bone Daddy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    From what I remember Squirrel,a good chunk (i.e. most of) the extra 30mins of extre footage put back into the S.E. was the credits :eek: read about it over at digitalbits,when I have time I will backtrack to find the facts ;)

3. DodgeTheViper

DodgeTheViper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,501
    The extra credits are in addition to the extra 30 mins or so of extra footage that has gone into the movie. I do agree though, that these credits should have been on the extras disc.

Cheers
    Kev

P.S. Do i like the word ' extra ' or what.............:D

4. bobbles

bobbles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i thought it was very strange when the film ended leaving two chapters to go

TTT has far more action and really didn't feel like a 3hr film. I am probably going to get crucified for saying this but i actually prefered it to The Fellowship

The extra 30min did improve the Fellowship a great deal I thought

On a similar theme has anyone seen the ninth gate I thought those dodgy opening credits were never going to end

5. Splinter

Splinter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You're not the only bobbles, TTT really dissapointed me in a way - FOTR is one of my favourite films buit TTT just didn't work well. Also, SG i think you're being a bit anal about this ;) I think it's a nice touch to add the names and no one's asking you to sit through it. You also get the whole score of the movie to listen to over that 27 mins.

I can't see how it detracts from the enjoyment, there's no difference if the credits were 5mins or 30mins. I think everyone had the same feeling when watching FOTR for the first time when it ended - desperately wanting more.

6. ytgti

ytgti
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Yes, but when you buy a film and it states that it has over 30 minutes of extra footage ect you dont expect it to be 27 minutes of credits and only about 3 mins of film footage. They should of stated what the contents was, but then no one would of bought it just for the credits.

7. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,010
    Is there a soundtrack over these credits?

If so I think that’s great, think of it as a feast for the ears rather than the eyes.

8. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No, the credits are on top of the 30 mins of additional footage. The film is around 3 hours 50 mins in total.

Looking at the scene selection on the extended version, almost every scene has been extended and there are several new scenes as well.

I think it slowed the pace down too much for my liking though and I would've been happier with the regular 3 hour version of the movie - ah well.

Yes, but I can't sit there for 20 mins listening to the music while numpties are being thanked (and for what? for paying their subscription fees?) :p It's like a graduation ceremony :rolleyes: :p

9. Sgt.Colon

Sgt.Colon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    SG.

That is how part one of the book finishes :)

10. Sgt.Colon

Sgt.Colon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Exept the credits of course :D

11. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Phew, you had me going there. I thought the last 200 pages of the book where gonna thank everyone in the fan club :rolleyes: :D

12. ytgti

ytgti
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Oh. I heard that there was only about 3mins of film and about 27mins of credits. I'm still waiting for my collectors ED so i don't know yet.:mad: ;)

13. t-force

t-force

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +99
    Guys, it has to be said that if you don't like the idea of having to watch an extremely long credit sequence, DON'T WATCH IT!! No-one is forcing you to do this - unless you're someone INCREDIBLY anal who likes to memorise entire credit sequences in the forlorn hope that a question on them might appear in a pub quiz one day. And yes, to back up others, the credits are on top of the extra footage.

14. BadAss

BadAss
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +182
    Call me an anarak if you will, but ive put the credits on a few times just to listen to the music!

Yes I read the credits to see if any friend or family names are there. And wow what do ya know my mothers name comes up! Spooky or what?

15. narabdela

narabdela

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    No, not an "anarak"(sic). The music during the extended credit sequence is superb and well worth closing your eyes and listening to.

:) :)

16. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,010
    That’s what I was on about on in my post but I don't think it registered with Squirrel.
    I have a couple of DVD’s that you can play the music only, such as North By Northwest. I find them brilliant. And I do not watch the picture just enjoy the music.

PS Squirrel my LOTR has over 120 pages at the end appendix, index and maps.

17. encaser

encaser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    I think SG was aiming much of his complaint at expecting 20 odd min's more and instead having a shopping list of no no's. There he was, probably, settling down to a final smoke with his cup of tea and finding he was then expected to read through the smoke:rolleyes: instead of one for the road lads.

18. bowenjones

bowenjones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +434
    How can you say this if you didn't see the theatrical version???
    And just imagine how a fanboy was feeling when he saw his
    name appear on the credits!!!!
    Hooray for the technology of dvd where you can skip through
    something you don't like at the touch of a button to prevent
    you from getting a little irate!!!!

19. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It did register Garrett, but I'm not interested in sticking the DVD on and listening to the music :p If I liked the music that much I'd buy the CD and stick it on in the car ;)

That's my situation last night pretty much on the nose. There's nothing worse than expecting something and not getting it - it's like a smack in the teeth. I'm sitting there thinking, right about another 20 mins left, here comes the climax and the great ending and then.... whoops, oh dear, that was the ending, I missed it, oh it's all over, oh ........

Because kevb, who did see the theatrical version and the extended version, told me so :p And it's kinda obvious when you think about it because almost all the scenes are extended and there are new scenes, therefore the story is dragged out for longer .....
    Yeah, great. Woohoo. And at my ****ing expense too!!! He or she could've got the same spontaneous combustion from seeing his or her name on the DVD somewhere that didn't disturb normal people like my good self :D
    Yup. That's what I did. Turned it off. So basically no only did I not get the big buzz at the end of the movie like you're supposed to but I also had to get up off my arse to change disks after 1 hr 50 mins, only to find that I've only got another 1 hr 30 mins in store rather than another 2 hours. If I'd've known that, I wouldn't have had to sit there psyching myself up to press PLAY on the 2nd disk. I would've just watched it knowing it wasn't that long a movie after all.

Shame the film wasn't the great masterpiece that almost everyone said it was :( But also interesting that FOTR has not featured on many people's film of the year list - just TTT. I thus hope it's like a TV series and the next episodes will be better :rolleyes: :D

It would have been good if those credits were there in the regular version. Then you could have a hearty laugh at all the people who sat through the credits in the cinema, just on the off chance that there'd be a little scene at the end (like you sometimes get) :D

20. bowenjones

bowenjones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +434
    How come someone with your knowledge didn't
    know about those "fanboy names" credits at the
    end?
    I'm sure someone has posted it on this forum before
    and you read all the postings don't you!

21. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No, not before I've watched the film I don't. I used to, but I got sick of people posting spoilers without warnings.

22. alan8477

alan8477

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    FOTR was made in 2001 not 2002.

I used to work with someone who said that Shakespeare was crap. Well in his world he was.

23. chris thomas

chris thomas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I tell ya wot,, dont you lot go on,,, i mean we all agree that folr is a great film and with the extended version havin half hour extended footage in the film, oh and the 27minutes of credits, wots the problem, it aint costin you anymore, i paid £17 region 1 for the extended version just for the 30 mins of additional footage, its not really a problem about the credits, switch it off if you aint happy, really cant see what the fuss is about :confused:

24. kevb

kevb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Everybody is entitled to an opinion and this is Squirrel Gods. For me this thread isn't as pointless as posts about French writing on DVD covers and why am I paying customs charges on orders over £17.99.

He's not the first person to complain about the length of the credits and 27 mins is a long time in anybody’s books. The scenes are extended and the extra ones edited in so well you could be forgiven for not thinking they there at all and the extended credits are all your getting if you've never seen the film before.

The pacing of the film is slowed down quite a bit by the extra footage IMO but I still think it's a great movie in either version. All the hype it's been giving on these forums and elsewhere can and does lead to unrealistic expectations of how good the film is so some people will find it underwhelming. I have spoken to as many people who didn’t like it as did, there’s no law that says you have to like something just because someone else does.
    Did you read it all Garrett coz I know I gave up after a few pages.;)

God knows how many people had a dig at me because I enjoyed Star Wars Episode 1.:p

25. Lux

Lux
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    OK sorry if I repeat the views of some here:

1)the extended cut is about 30min longer and this DOES NOT INCLUDE THE CREDITS. there are more than 30 min of actual footeage and about 15minutes more credits.
    Don't start claiming that there are 27min of credits and only 3 min footage as it simply is not true!!!!!

2) Yes 27 min is long but u get more music (written for the extended cut by Horner) and the erason u have those names is simple: Those fans paid a lot of money to get their names on that piece of film. They partially financed the film, so it's only fair that they are mentioned. Now if u don't like that don't watch it, simple.
    U can also switch off the TV/Projector and just listen to 27 min of more music.
    And no , my name is not in the credits.

26. ytgti

ytgti
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    POINTLESS.... i alredy know now thanks.

27. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,010
    If you got an Hi-Fi in the house you might like listening to the music on the DVD, rather than having to buy the CD to go and sit in your car to listen to it.:p ;) :D

28. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    But the DVD came out this year so if you look at the film of the year threads, could be nominated.
    Sounds like a top bloke. I've never liked Shakespeare in its traditional format and as Kevb says, there's no law about that.

Oh and for the record, I didn't think FOTR was crap or even not good. I thought it was good, but no more than that. I have no problem with the books being a literary masterpiece because of the tremendous amount of work Tolkien put into them and his mastery of the English language (ditto with Shakespeare on the mastery front), such as creating the worlds, maps, history, etc. However, even by Jackson's own admission (yes, I did watch some of the extras!), turning that kind of book into a movie is tough work and doesn't work as well. Jackson's done a good job, perhaps the best that could have been done, but it's not a great movie for me and a lot of that is no doubt down to the fact that FOTR doesn't stand on its own. It needs the rest of the movies. In this sense, I should've waited for the box set like Garrett is doing and watched all the movies in one go.

I have a hi-fi at home Garrett but I do listen to most of my music while travelling. I just don't do it with DVDs anyway. I like to stick a few disks in and do something else while they're playing. I wouldn't dream of cueing up a DVD for the end credits and listening for 20 mins. We are clearly different people with different habits ;)

29. Lux

Lux
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    sorry I just didn't have the time to read all the posts and wanted to clarify things.:blush:

30. ytgti

ytgti
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Me to! woke up in a bad mood this morning and that seemed like it was aimed at me, well it must of been i wrote it.

Still waiting for play to send us my COL ED :mad: then i will know how much extras ect there is.;)