Credit card fraud query

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Flashy, Feb 11, 2014.

1. Flashy

Flashy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,159
    Keeping this brief, the other half has been the victim of credit card fraud. Unusual transaction was picked up by her card issuer, who contacted her. Since she'd made an online purchase a little while ago, they'd managed to spend a bit, but had also changed the address on the account, the landline number and her occupation, and requested a statement be sent, presumably so they could refer to it if future purchases were queried.

She did nothing wrong and it's all sorted, thankfully, but her card issuer was unable to explain how someone could have changed all those details with only the credit card details and address (presumably from this order).

How is that possible, in the days of heightened security, secret passwords and so on? I'm baffled and online search throws up nothing. Just wondered if anyone had any ideas, because I'm curious. And surely they'd have needed her DOB, but have no idea how they'd have got that. She has only used this card online, and only three sites, and two not for a very long time. It all tallies with this one purchase last month.

I don't think it's good enough, so have suggested once it's all definitely resolved she destroys the replacement card and finds a new provider, but that might just be my anger about the whole thing talking.

But would be interested to hear whether anyone has heard of anything similar or could satisfy my curiosity.

2. booyaka

booyaka

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,585
    sounds odd - I would ask CC provider to check details of when her information was changed and how they managed to get it - don't let them fob you off with "we don't know"

It is surprisingly easy however to get dob details- facebook is the 1st point to look for someones information!

3. Wardy257

Wardy257

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +779
    I have had it twice, both times shortly after buying through Amazon Marketplace which is odd.

4. blue max

blue max
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,315
    Having suffered the same thing last year and over Christmas, both times having the cards cancelled and replaced, I have not found any particular pattern.
    Recently I have pretty well nailed it down to having my personal virgin media email account compromised. If you think about it, it gives them ultimate power over your accounts as they can request a password change and respond and change it themselves.
    I'd recommend you change your email password immediately and consider routinely changing it on a regular basis. Not fun, but can save a lot of hassle.

5. Flashy

Flashy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,159
    Thanks, all. I'll suggest she changes her email password.

There's absolutely no doubt in my mind it was this one transaction that led to it, given the card hadn't been used anywhere else for months and the fraud started two days later.

Comforting to know she's not the only person in this particular boat. But she's now dead set on ditching her card provider – I didn't realise the address, occupation, phone number, etc, were changed by the fruadster over a few days. Why they didn't think this was odd, I don't know, but it's not really good enough.

6. Juke

Juke

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +119
    Had it done to me once after making 2 purchases just before Christmas 2012, 1st purchase was from Ideal World and the other was from Amazon

7. Trollslayer

Trollslayer
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,983
    You can't stop the ten fingered virus (people working somewhere) every time.

8. blue max

blue max
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,315
    It is becoming quite rare that you have to hand over your card to anyone these days.

9. hippo99

hippo99
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,899