• Apologies for the inconvenience, but AVForums will be down from 6am Thursday 21st January 2021 for quite some time while we perform a major update to our core software. See what changes are coming.

credit card charge

stegalv

going to order a couple of dvd's from dvdsoon, can anyone tell me if there is a charge by the credit card company for the change from pounds to dollars?

Will K

Standard Member
Ususally there is a charge, I don't think Nationwide have a charge though. Abbey's charge is 2.25% I think.

bonzobanana

There is a charge normally on most cards of about 2.5% added for foreign transactions. Howver if its a foreign firm that is actually charging in pounds sterling like cdwow I think there is no charge. Also Nationwide don't charge the 2.5% but there just about the only credit card company that don't. I've applied for a nationwide credit card twice and they won't let me have one :-(

At the end of the day though 25p for every £10 spent doesn't make much difference to the bargain prices you can get from dvdsoon.

Damn will k beat me to it.

chris110

Standard Member
Originally posted by bonzobanana
I've applied for a nationwide credit card twice and they won't let me have one :-(
I applied for a debit card from them and they wouldnt even let me have that! and I've been with them for about 5 years. Went to HSBC and got a credit and debit card no problem so Nationwide can get stuffed :devil:

cdave

Standard Member
I think this has been discussed on the site before. Someone rightly pointed out that even though they may not levy a charge, it depends on the exchange rate they use. You may get a better rate from a company who do charge. I just booked some hotel accommodation on my RBS Advanta card (now called Mint unfortunately) and got an exchange rate over $1.88 to the pound. This was very good as the bank rate on was not much more at the time. Looking to see what happens next time I use it.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: CES 2021 Special - Sony, LG, Panasonic, Samsung, TCL and Hisense TV news and more...
Top Bottom