1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

credit card charge

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by stegalv, Feb 20, 2004.

1. stegalv

stegalv

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    going to order a couple of dvd's from dvdsoon, can anyone tell me if there is a charge by the credit card company for the change from pounds to dollars?

2. Will K

Will K
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ususally there is a charge, I don't think Nationwide have a charge though. Abbey's charge is 2.25% I think.

3. bonzobanana

bonzobanana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +218
    There is a charge normally on most cards of about 2.5% added for foreign transactions. Howver if its a foreign firm that is actually charging in pounds sterling like cdwow I think there is no charge. Also Nationwide don't charge the 2.5% but there just about the only credit card company that don't. I've applied for a nationwide credit card twice and they won't let me have one :-(

At the end of the day though 25p for every £10 spent doesn't make much difference to the bargain prices you can get from dvdsoon.

Damn will k beat me to it.

4. stegalv

stegalv

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    thanks,

5. chris110

chris110
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I applied for a debit card from them and they wouldnt even let me have that! and I've been with them for about 5 years. Went to HSBC and got a credit and debit card no problem so Nationwide can get stuffed :devil:

6. cdave

cdave
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I think this has been discussed on the site before. Someone rightly pointed out that even though they may not levy a charge, it depends on the exchange rate they use. You may get a better rate from a company who do charge. I just booked some hotel accommodation on my RBS Advanta card (now called Mint unfortunately) and got an exchange rate over $1.88 to the pound. This was very good as the bank rate on was not much more at the time. Looking to see what happens next time I use it.