1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Credid card charged and no pv500

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by willardone, Jun 23, 2005.

1. willardone

willardone
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I ordered a PV500 on Saturday 18th June from Currys,.I received the three confirmation emails. I have since telephoned enquiring when the delivery will be and I have kept being told there is no stock available but they may have a delivery Friday 25th June. I have today found out that they have taken the FULL amount on MONDAY 20th JUNE!!!!! when they knew they had no stock!!!!!
    Where do I stand on this? What can I do? If they don't get stock for a number of weeks Currys keep my money all this time and I will have paid for something I haven't got. Surely this is against the law to do this. :mad:

2. TonyA

TonyA

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +217
    I'm not sure of the legalities surrounding this, but I know credit card companies are absolutely against this sort of action.

Contact your credit card company and explain to them what has happened, and see what they recommend.

3. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +374
    This is the sort of thing you would expect of a dodgy smaller operator not a national chain. Why is it all the bigger companies are the ones displaying the lack of integrity at the moment?

4. svijay

svijay

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Often credit card companies ask you to try and sort
    it out directly with the retailer first, and only get involved
    if you have tried this without success.

5. bishman

bishman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +172
    I know there's a principle at stake but if they get your set on Friday it's only 5 days, is that going to make much of a difference? If they don't get one for you on Friday, then fair enough.

Like others have said though, speak to the retailer and the credit card company and you should be able to reach a satisfatory conclusion.

In fact, it's Friday now, have you had any luck with them getting a delivery?

6. Petrushka

Petrushka

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Afail most credit card companies (definitely Visa and Mastercard) do not allow sellers to charge the card before the date of shipment. I.e. if they charge your card and can't ship yet then I am fairly convinved that your cc company will be anxious to listen to you (and help you out as they are more than anxious about their reputation).

7. willardone

willardone
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Sent Currys an email last night , and they havnt even had the decency to reply to it. :mad: I got the wife to phone the Delivery Centre this morning to complain about the payment being taken and the girl agreed. They still could not tell me if there was going to be a delivery today and was told to ring back tomorrow. My wife insisted that she found out today so was told to ring back at 4.30. She did, they have now had a delivery but are unable to book a delivery date as the system takes 24 hours to update. HORRENDOUS!!!!!!! We have received the Credit Card Receipt in the post this morning to confirm that we have been stung for a couple of grand and to rub salt in the wounds we still have no goods. We HAVE NOW LOST ONE WEEK OF THE GUARANTEE AS THE RECEIPT DATE IS 7 DAYS AGO!!!!!!!!!!! Thats the next problen to deal with.

8. Hotshot147

Hotshot147

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I ordered my plasma from JL on the 4th of june but they dont ship it until 2nd of July.And they deducted my card immediately,when i complained to customer services they said the reason why was i live outside their free delivery zone so i had to book the delivery slot. :mad:
    Has anybody else been charged before dispatch from JL?
    I was unhappy but i needed a plasma. :nono:

Cheers.

Chris...

9. willardone

willardone
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    jeez , hotshot i thought i was being ripped off, but jl are taking the mickey,
    contact your ccc and ask them is this legitimate. I sent a mail today to my
    credit company asking about this procedure, awaiting an answer.

10. Hotshot147

Hotshot147

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I mentioned to JL about warranty, and this starts on day of delivery.But if i want to pricematch again its 28 days from card debited date.I need to get the warranty start date in writing ,because surely the date on the reciept is what they go by. I think its time for another phone call to CS.

Chris...

11. nheather

nheather
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,194
    For distance (mail order, internet) purchases .....

Under the distance trading laws, retailers are allowed to charge before the goods are available provided that this is clearly stated in their trading terms and conditions.

Warranties do not commence until you have received and had chance to inspect the goods.

Within 7 working days of receipt of the goods you are entitled to return them for full refund for whatever reason you choose. (It is your duty to take good care of the goods)

Within a reasonable time (typically 30 days) if the goods develop a fault you are entitled to a new replacement or a refund from the retailer. If you accept a new replacement then the warranty clock restarts from the receipt of the new replacement.

After a reasonable time, the retailer/manufacturer is entitled to rectify the fault by repair or supply of a used item. However, if a used item is supplied, it must be of, at least similar quality, condition and age. In this case the warranty clock is not stopped and restarted.

Cheers,

Nigel

p.s. Although JL wouldn't price match they were happy for me to order a PV500 without any deposit, payment or commitment to buy it when stock became available. So it seems wrong that they charged your card.

12. Petrushka

Petrushka

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    You also lost a week of the free insurance that your credit card company might offer on purchases paid with their card. :(

13. SonOfSony

SonOfSony

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Willard

I am in a similar position to you - order the 42PV500 from Currys about two weeks ago but had to wait a week before I got the second and third emails for confirmation as I am funding part of it by credit. We called them today to enquire about delivery and were told that it was coming direct from Panasonic and that they would call us this week with a delivery date.

Is yours coming from Currys warehouse or direct from Panasonic? I asked for installation when I ordered as I thought that might make the TV come from Panasonic and it seems to have worked.

14. willardone

willardone
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi sonofsony
    No, mine is coming from the warrington warehouse, on the delivery they got yesterday i was not on the list for one as they had to fill previous orders. :rolleyes: They said a new delivery on thursday was due, but couldnt tell me if i was on the list for one!! they did tell me my cabinet stand was there but will only deliver the full order. I was thinking of cancelling but it seems a lot of people are in the same situation, on the plus side they did comfirm that the warranty will only comence when delivery is made, basically they lie through their back teeth telling you anything , so sit tight and wait,... god this screen better be good!!!!!!!

15. SonOfSony

SonOfSony

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Currys have told me that if Panasonic haven't called us by Thursday this week then to call them (Currys) back and they will chase them up. When I ordered the TV 2 weeks ago I resigned myself to not getting it before July going by the stock shortage comments on here so I'm not reasonably fussed.

However I ordered all my new cables to get the most out of it and they arrived a couple of days ago, plus my calibration DVD so I'm all set and ready to go and now starting to get a little impatient! Let me know how you get on with things mate!

Edit: I won't cancel my order because I can't be bothered to go through all the trouble, besides I placed an order two weeks ago so I should be well ahead of anyone in the country who ordered one the past two weeks.