Creative Zen Vision M

zorro11p

Novice Member
Hi Folks,

I have an old Creative Zen Vision M that just went belly up with corrupted firmware. So I deleted the firmware and tried to reload it but the device does not respond when I hit enter! So I've been playing with this for overt 3 days. Downloaded the drivers and software, but loading the drivers fails on RegSrv32-CmeMtp64.dll. It won't install it. Installing is on Windows 10 in Vista 64bit mode but fails to load properly.

Any advice .... I've been thru similar posts here and nothing helps.

PLEASE HELP! Thanks .... Rod

mjn

Distinguished Member
If you’ve “deleted” the firmware, then the device will probably be dead. It’ll probably need a new ROM chip.

zorro11p

Novice Member
I should be able to reload the firmware .... But Windows 10 doesn't see the device ... with or without firmware .... I need a decent device driver. Any clues? I'm an Engineer and this doesn't make sense to me.

Hixs

Distinguished Member
ah wow that's a blast from the past. I put a few of these through the washing machine back in the day.

Ditch it and buy another. These must sell for literal pennies these days surely?

zorro11p

Novice Member
ah wow that's a blast from the past. I put a few of these through the washing machine back in the day.

Ditch it and buy another. These must sell for literal pennies these days surely?
Good one ... I would, but I'm an electrical engineer! I can't let this Driver thing get to me. So I'm collaborating looking for a partner! ;-) There is a solution out there from one of you and I'll kick myself for NOT figuring it out myself!

I guess I could but that would be too easy. Looking for a windows 10 solution!
;-) :)
Jesus. When you travel, do you always take the longest route on purpose? It’s almost like trying to play a video game with an eyepatch a hand-cast on hard mode. Why?

You have an old device which was compatible with 32Bit windows versions. So if it’s nostalgia that you’re after then put the effort and see where it leads.
If you’re looking at this from a different angle which I’m not getting, I’m not sure what else to tell you.

zorro11p

Novice Member
Jesus. When you travel, do you always take the longest route on purpose? It’s almost like trying to play a video game with an eyepatch a hand-cast on hard mode. Why?

You have an old device which was compatible with 32Bit windows versions. So if it’s nostalgia that you’re after then put the effort and see where it leads.
If you’re looking at this from a different angle which I’m not getting, I’m not sure what else to tell you.
Hey ... No problem ... I appreciate your feedback buddy! I really do. I was just hoping someone had this issue with Win 10 as well. It's got me technically curious now. I'm retired from IBM as an Engineering Mgr and this kind of stuff keeps me on my toes. I admit ... I waist a lot of time doing things like this. Sorry if I irritated you.

Johnmcl7

Distinguished Member
How did the firmware get corrupted in the first place? It sounds like a hardware failure compounded by deleting the firmware but if the device can't boot far enough to get a USB interface, then a driver isn't going to help you because Windows would still show the device when connected even with no driver available.

I was wondering about removing the hard drive and putting the files on manually but I can't remember if these were flash or hard drive and even then I can't see a way to copy the files, they're supplied as an exe and from what I remember of these devices they were MTP not mass storage compatible. It's unfortunate the anythingbutipod site is long gone as it was good for this type of information, Rockbox which was a popular alternative firmware for MP3 players unfortunately doesn't support this device.

Thinking about that you've mentioned the driver name is CmeMtp64.dll so I wonder if that's an MTP driver? From what I remember MTP support came late in XP's life (in terms of its service packs not its overall life) and Vista definitely supported it properly out of the box so older systems would need a driver but newer ones wouldn't. I did buy one of these I think and return it for that reason, it worked on one of my PCs but not another so went for a mass storage device instead.

If you want to test the drivers out without changing from Windows 10 you could always just use a virtual machine instead of any operating system of your choice, whether USB pass through would work to the VM is questionable but if the device isn't detected by your current install nothing else will.

zorro11p

Novice Member
How did the firmware get corrupted in the first place? It sounds like a hardware failure compounded by deleting the firmware but if the device can't boot far enough to get a USB interface, then a driver isn't going to help you because Windows would still show the device when connected even with no driver available.

I was wondering about removing the hard drive and putting the files on manually but I can't remember if these were flash or hard drive and even then I can't see a way to copy the files, they're supplied as an exe and from what I remember of these devices they were MTP not mass storage compatible. It's unfortunate the anythingbutipod site is long gone as it was good for this type of information, Rockbox which was a popular alternative firmware for MP3 players unfortunately doesn't support this device.

Thinking about that you've mentioned the driver name is CmeMtp64.dll so I wonder if that's an MTP driver? From what I remember MTP support came late in XP's life (in terms of its service packs not its overall life) and Vista definitely supported it properly out of the box so older systems would need a driver but newer ones wouldn't. I did buy one of these I think and return it for that reason, it worked on one of my PCs but not another so went for a mass storage device instead.

If you want to test the drivers out without changing from Windows 10 you could always just use a virtual machine instead of any operating system of your choice, whether USB pass through would work to the VM is questionable but if the device isn't detected by your current install nothing else will.

Johnmcl7

Thanks! ... It is detected by windows 10 ... but says the device driver is not installed correctly. I loaded it as Vista64 mode and also as Win 7. Doesn't like either. I need the PC to reload the firmware. Still thinking how to resolve this. Maybe I'll load an old Laptop with Win 7 and see .... I'm pretty sure that would work .... But convinced there has to be a work around for Win 10!

mjn

Distinguished Member
If the device doesn’t boot, it won’t make any difference what Windows driver you use.

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Which is the best decade for horror movies?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom