Creative Zen V Plus vs iPod Nano

angelphace

Standard Member
Reaction score
Have received a Zen V Plus for christmas. How does this compare to the iPod Nano's. I'm thinking of trying to exchange it for one. Don't know much about MP3 players, so any tips would be gratefully received.

are you insane? keep the zen micro! much much better than the ipods, and you don't have to use itunes! result! seriously don't swap it

as I said, i don't know much about them.

What makes it better than an iPod? The radio feature doesn't set it apart for me as I have a radio on my sony walkman phone.

It has a radio, and plays WMA which the nano doesn't. The Creative can also play video clips which the nano doesn't. Creative has a built in mike and a line in for recording straight from a Cd.

The zen micro also allows you to download music from sites like napster with their napster to go service, which ipods can't do (at least with napster - not sure for other services).

Shaz

On a screen that size video is probably just a novelty. Personally I'd still go for the Zen V Plus as I like to be able to use WMA files.

I've tried both Apple and Creative products and this is my two pence worth!

Apple Nano + Itunes = simple but effective, but lacks functions found on the creative. Apple looks and feels better too.

Creative + software = good mp3 player with lots of functionality, but the software isn't the easiest to use.

James

Gapless isn't an issue for me. Neither is video. Radio could be handy.

At the moment I am leaning towards the creative purely because I think it would be easier to change volume/tracks while it's in my pocket - a small point maybe, but my priority is for a user friendly player. I am led to believe that you need to be looking at the nano's screen to do these things?

Well you could always use a remote? Also, I don't think sticking tracks onto the Zen V Plus is that hard, I've used drag-and-drop with WMP11 with no problems.

I've tried both Apple and Creative products and this is my two pence worth!

Apple Nano + Itunes = simple but effective, but lacks functions found on the creative. Apple looks and feels better too.

Creative + software = good mp3 player with lots of functionality, but the software isn't the easiest to use.

James

although the creative comes with its own software, can you use itunes instead?

I've gone and ordered the Zen 8gb from Amazon [£145 - £5 cheaper than play].

For ripping and tagging, what are the good and bad points regarding using Creative software vs Mediaplayer vs Mediamonkey?

Disagee I would go for the 8gb Nano, software is a doddle and easy to use, sound quality with the I Pod is as good as the creative, more acessories and doesnt look like a remote control for a kiddies tv like the horrible creative does.
If you are a big person as well buttons are hard to use on the creative.

Disagree about the controls. It has an easy volume switch on the side and only two main face buttons which are quite big. The joysitck is also quite robust and is not open to error.

Just the thread I've been looking for!

After doing a lot of reading on the Creative Zen V Plus (8 GB) I think I've finally found my first MP3 player. As nice as the 2nd generation iPod Nano is, I don't like iTunes and it doesn't play WMA files. It's a shame the Zen V Plus has an embedded battery, but from what I've read it has a much longer life than the Nano's.

I have Windows Media Player 10, but don't use its library function, should I upgrade to 11?

The GodFather, MediaMonkey or both?

You may find that you need to upgrade to WMP11 just to install the MTP drivers on your PC. In terms of software I use a mixture of WMP11 and Windows Explorer. I do use MediaMonkey for tag editting but not syncing.

You may find that you need to upgrade to WMP11 just to install the MTP drivers on your PC. In terms of software I use a mixture of WMP11 and Windows Explorer. I do use MediaMonkey for tag editting but not syncing.
Is WMP10 no good then?

How do you get music onto the Zen V Plus using WMP and explorer?

What is syncing and does it make use of already ripped files?

I'm a complete MP3 player rookie. :)

both are good to be honest...

the best thing about the zen v series isnt even musiscal tho.

It is a perfect fit for the little inner pockets in most jeans/trousers right hand pocket....

:)

www.komplett.co.uk have a bit of a bargain on the 4gb which is going for £88

Don't forget to download the software update from Creatives site. One of the things you can do after is turn the screen round. Small point but might be useful if you want the screen the other way up from the headphone socket.

How do you get music onto the Zen V Plus using WMP and explorer?

Once the drivers are installed, the ZVP will appear as a drive in Windows Explorer which you can then just drag and drop music/video/photos to the appropriate folder.

WMP11 is arguably a little more fiddly when trying to transfer video and photos - I prefer Windows Explorer tbh.

I've got a nano v1 and am just about to get a nano v2 for my girlfriend. Don't know anything about the zen apart from its inferior looks but the nano has served me brilliantly:

I can control ie tracks and volume without taking it out of my pocket

having the headphone socket at the bottom means I dont have to flip it when I do take it out

It uploads all my downloaded podcasts as soon as it's in the cradle automatically and even the podcasts are downloaded automatically when subscribed to in itunes

battery lasts for ages even when it looks like its on its last legs

got the nike+ kit for it and that works brilliantly especially with the nike+ website

looks much more expensive than it is

sounds the nuts with my sennheisser phones and all my music automatically converted to aac, which by the way when compared to mp3 at the same bitrate sound less compressed - in my opinion.

:)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom