1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Creative Zen problems.Please help!

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by dognuts, Apr 3, 2005.

1. dognuts

dognuts

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Hi all,

i bought a 20gb creative zen player the other day but im having nothing but problems.for various reasons ive managed to copy just 30 albums in about 10 hours.i
    im having major problems with the pc locking up and often crashing, to the cd drive just spinning as fast as it can and being unable to open the tray.
    any advice much appreciated!
    anyone else had the problems im having,and is it just me(which it probably is as im not a very"pc" person) or are the instructions completely useless?

thanks in advance.

2. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,767
    Have you checked out the Creative website to see if you have the latest version of the software ?

3. Pecker

Pecker
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Huddersfield, People's Republic of Yorkshire
    Ratings:
    +4,347
    If the CD motor is going like billy-o, and the tray won't open, it sounds like a pc/mechanical problem, rather than anything to do with the Zen.

Steve W

4. dognuts

dognuts

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    yeah ive downloaded the newest drivers but its made no difference.
    at the moment the main problem i have is when i put a cd in the tray,the cd spins very quicky,and then slows down.this takes about 2 minutes before it stops.i can then copy the cd as intended,but most of the time it gets so far through the copying process and then just crashes.
    does anyone have any idea how i stand with sending it back.its from amazon,but it came in a sealed plastic case which had to be cut open.

cheers.

5. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,767
    Have you tried ripping a cd into another media player to see if you have the same problem ?

6. jamesvtidohc

jamesvtidohc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    what are your pc specs (ghz and ram) and operating system.

i sometimes go onto the creative website forums and havent seen any problems that your having, this is more likely a pc mechanical fault on your end..... saying that, it could also be the software on the cd itself that may not have been burnt correctly....

check out the creative.com forum for the player and how to resolve problems, there are creative representatives floating about there.

good luck

i too have a creative zen touch, its great!!!!
    the only down side is the touch pad, too sensitive even on lowest setting, plus it hard to organise play lists on the player itself, got to do it on a pc with the software. also, if you want to use it as a portable hd, and transfer files over to another pc, that pc has to have the creative software.....

apart from that,igreat

7. weebroonieuk

weebroonieuk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i thought a firmware from the american creative site allows the creatives zens to operate as a removable hard drive ?

8. dognuts

dognuts

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Right then....

its going slightly better now,or at least it was.

what im getting now is,sometimes whilst in the creative media source software,the message "ctcms"(the program has performed an illegal operation,etc) with the windows sign next to it comes up and the program exits.

also,quite often,it says that the device is not connected(the zen) when it is,sometimes it even says its docked on the display.

im quite often,well always now,getting the message "svchst"(the program has performed an illegal operation,etc) message when the computer has been on for about 30 seconds.

cds are rarely being recognised and the discs just keep spinning and locking up the pc for a few minutes.

help please!!!!im going insane!! :mad:

9. Stewtheking

Stewtheking

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the Zen Xtra 30Gb model, and I am VERY happy with it, however I too had the same problem with a couple of CD's as you describe. I am on a fairly new Dell machine, and on one or two cd's, yes, it was just one or two in the 200-odd i have transfered, they do the thing you described. In both cases it was due to the cd's being scratched.

In my experience, the software is great when the cd it's ripping is pristine, but when it looks like you've been sanding the floor with it, it tries to read the disk again and again to find the data, and that's where it gets stuck.

My advice as the first thing to try (maybe a bit late for that, but the next thing to try anyway) is to get a CD lens cleaning kit and see if that helps!

The Stew

10. dognuts

dognuts

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    right,i think ive sorted it.
    i suspected a virus/viruses.couldnt install any kind of anti virus downloaded or via cd.formatted my whole system.installed windows xp and all of my other programs.
    the problem is not as bad now,but i think the main problem has been faulty cd and dvd drives.im going to buy new ones tomorrow and keep my fingers crossed!

thanks for all the replies