1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Creative Zen or Sony NW-HD series??

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by Marije, Sep 9, 2005.

1. Marije

Marije

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Currently I'm saving up for a really good MP3 player, with 20GB space. After reading a lot on the internet, I've decided it will either be a Creative Zen player or a Sony NW-HD5. I've been hearing good things about the Atrack-system but I've also read several complaints about Sony's volume and complicated handling of the player (lot's of questions about software).
    Which is better in your opinion??
    I want to listen to my MP3's AND convert my CD's.

2. Cloysterpeteuk

Cloysterpeteuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +867
    I would go with the Sony, but only because i've had no experience of Creative's players. Hopefully there will be someone on here who has a Zen.

3. sirlukas

sirlukas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +91
    Zen to my taste looks hideous, moreover it's huge and bulky. If you don't mind "bulkiness" go for iRiver h1xx or H3xx? Also worth mentioning iAudio X5L.
    Personally I own Sony NW-HD5 (previously NW-HD1) and I really like that player, even love after fixing it's volume :D

4. Marije

Marije

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    iRiver is way to pricy for me. I'm aiming on a price between €200 and 250 (.
    With a 20 GB goal, there are not that many players available.
    When it concerns looks, my preference tends towards the Zen (hey, I'm a girl, I'm supposed to like things with few buttons that resemble my make up kit) and that also has a radio. But in the end, I don't want to spend my money on a player that's going to annoy me by breaking down or having an incomprehensible menu or irritating (Microsoft mimicking thus Borg-like) software.

5. sirlukas

sirlukas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +91
    What will You say to That! :cool:

6. Steven

Steven
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,230
    I'd say I've seen it for £40 cheaper, can't remember where online

7. samwem

samwem
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry... read that and am still too busy laughing to reccomend anything. :D

I have a HD5... It's my first player, and I love it. I find Sonic Stage easy to use, but then I'm not trying to do anything complicated. I rip all my music using Windows Media Player and use 256K mp3 format.

I cant recommend it over anything else, cuz I've never owned anything else. I did play with an IPOD in the shop, and prefered the Sony. All in all, I'm happy with it, so that's the best I can offer ;)

( can I quote the make up kit bit elsewhere ? ;) )

8. ipodstudio

ipodstudio

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  9. Marije

Marije

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Glad you liked my remark, just living up to the stereotype ey :thumbsup:
    Please quote!

Hm, that Zen looks really good but I really think that doesn't fit into my budget :cool:

I saw the iRiver for cheaper indeed...falling into my price range suddenly, now you guys are just confusing me!! 40gb doesn't sound bad at all....hmmm... :suicide:

Maybe I should look at it this way: either choice is fine, I will be ending up with a player with lots of space (more that I'll probably ever use) and with the one choice I will look cool to my female friends (and more feminine to my male friends), and with the other I will look cool to my male friends...
    A win-win situation I reckon? I'll just go to the shop and take the gadgets for a little testride...

10. Sasso

Sasso

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Most girls i know have ipods...thats really all they know of unfortunately....it will depend whether or not you want to be unique. I would deninately go the HD5 over zen, but consider the Ipod if you are going for "popularity", i wouldn't recommend it though, the sound isnt that good and battery life isnt either, but its easier to use. HD5 sounds better, has better battery and looks FAR better, its much smaller and its lighter. The volume is fine after removing the cap and navigation is still reasonably acceptable. If you dont mind having smaller capacity (4 gig) then get a Ipod nano it looks awesome...but it will be not better than a normal ipod in every other aspect apart from size (with less battery life too).

SO yeah final word, I recommend getting a HD5. :)