Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

creative zen micro question and general questions

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by weebroonieuk, Mar 21, 2005.

1. weebroonieuk

weebroonieuk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi im really into these creative zen micro 5gb players but im wondering if i can use it in the gym without knackering the hard drive?

im guessing that the drives are so small an built to very tight tolerances that it would be of i mean the arms that hold the heads are hardly going t be heavy enough to hit the platters are they ?

im really not into a flash drive as i want a decent little player with half decent storage and i really like the loo of the micro in black or white

so .... does the zen have line out ?

are the supplied earphones good enough and do they fit your ears well ?
    if no what earphones will be best as i hate those oests on public transport who have music blasting out of there players and its usually shocking music!

what accesorys can i buy for it , i will probably by a second battery and one of those radio transmiters i know which one i want so dont worry about that

also im not a fan of creative softwarei will probably fill the drive with windows explorer to start with .

is there any simple light software that will transfer the songs and let me organise them does media player 10 not do this sort of thing ?

2. weebroonieuk

weebroonieuk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    should i have started a thread slagging off ipods hd3's and creatives to get some attention ?

cmon folks im not asking much :)

3. extremelydodgy

extremelydodgy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    You can use it in the gym, but a hard disk is a hard disk. Drop the player and it has a fair chance of dying.

Didn't use the ZM supplied earphones, sorry. I don't usually bother with the included buds unless they look very interesting. The Sony MDR-EX71 at the low end, the Shure E2c at the next step up and the midrange Shure E5c are all good choices with the Zen Micro.

The ZM doesn't have a line out. As a consequence it's not good when used as a line out source.

You can buy various cases, second/etc battery, alternative phones, etc

The ZM ships with Nomad Manager which acts as a simple transfer conduit. Also included is Mediasource, the usable but not stellar main management software. You can also buy third party software if you don't like any of those.

Unless you need the radio, take a look at the Rio Carbon as well. They had a lot of teething problems but it seems to be fixed now, and it's a good player (not to mention slimmer than the distinctly rotund Zen Micro). The iPod Mini's very good too (and cheaper nowadays)... it's probably the best in terms of filling the player with music in useful ways, thanks to iTunes and Smart Playlists.

4. weebroonieuk

weebroonieuk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hmm cheers for the reply mate im off to have a look at the rio carbons i vaguely remember haveing an interest in them a good while back but the zen micro kind of swayed me by its looks and the experience of creative ......

might be back with more questions later

5. weebroonieuk

weebroonieuk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hmm really dont like the look of those rio's

so its still looking like the creative wins , the ipod mini is still a possibility i wouldnt rule them out but think i prefer the creative

plus isnt itunes very strict on drm ? e.g. will all my mp3's i have now be able to work with itunes ?

6. extremelydodgy

extremelydodgy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    Did you actually take a look at one 'in the flesh'? I mean, opinions about style will differ with anyone but the Rio is significantly sleeker and thinner than the ZM. Get hold of one actually in your hand if you can.

DRM? No, there's not a problem. Sony are the only idiots still to have DRM-locked MP3 files. The iPods make it slightly more difficult than many other players to move MP3's freely OFF the player. I suppose they've got to go some way towards satisfying the labels... but third party software (many free) takes care of that though. Rio and Creative have no problems in this respect, but actually the Zen is a slightly bigger hassle because you've got to install the drivers and Nomad Manager or Mediasource (requiring a restart) before you can get tracks on or off the player.

7. weebroonieuk

weebroonieuk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hiya im not too fusse about the size of the player as when they get this small differences are little .

i have seen that with a firmware update for the zen you can now use it as a removeable hard drive and therefore not needing the software that comes with it , which was another factor which put it of my list as im not a fan of creative software

but that is apparently fixed with the firmware update as stated

think it will be out of a zen an mini ipod (is there a 5gb version?) coupled with a pair of those shure earphones

i also like the idea of being able to carry a spare battery for the zen and swap over with little hassle if im away for power for a long time.

8. jtf

jtf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    the idea of having a removeable battery is handy but i have had 2 micro that both had problems and my brother in law has had 2 again both of his have gone wrong with identical probs to mine. if you look at the creative forums you will read that a lot of people have had problems with these players and the same faults keep on apperaring. yes they look nice but they are a pain to use( the scroll bar is a waste of time) and keep going wrong. i now have a 4g ipod and it is alot better than the micro i terms of ease of use and built quality. personally i would stay away from creative but then that is only my opinion

9. weebroonieuk

weebroonieuk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hmm i could also be swayed with the zen touch player aswell alot of capacity for not much money and decent review ..... descisions ....

10. IBORGUK

IBORGUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I'm on my 2nd Zen Micro. The first developed a problem with the head phone jack. I use it 3 times a week down the gym. No issues with jog etc. I also find no issue with the touch pad.

11. weebroonieuk

weebroonieuk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i cant see a prob with the touchpad to be honest im used to laptops , plus all the reviews ive read say you only have to turn down the sensitivity of the touchpad and its fine .....

so its probably down to the zen micro or the zen touch for extra space and the option of a remote control , does the zen micro have this option ?

12. weebroonieuk

weebroonieuk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    also where can i find the remote for the creative as i cant seem to find it , i can find the remote for there zen portable media center but nothing else :s

13. eddiethered

eddiethered

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    I've had 2 zen micros with problems with the head phone jack. I see one other person has mentioned this on the thread. Is this a widespread problem? It would be helpful to know before I return my second one.

eddiethered