1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Creative Zen Micro or Ipod mini ?

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by Sra, Aug 20, 2005.

Tags:
  1. Sra

Sra
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi - I am not a technical person so though I honestly do bother to read other posts I get easily lost. Could I get some opinions from you more knowledgeable people in simple terms ?????Please???

I have a mini IPOD and my twin daughters love it . So I decided to get them one each as a birthday present ( at the end of a truely dreadful year - but that is another story.....). However now I look I see it is more complicated. Is this Creative one better ? Will they be disappointed if it is not an IPOD ( they are 14 so not sensible) ?

I am at the point of thinking of getting one of each and if there is a problem I can swop the Creative for my IPOD and then I get to have the one with the radio !

Then I thought - does this mean I have to have 2 different systems on my computer ( I ave Itunes already ) to get the music onto it ??? Is that a problem ??

I am becoming increasingly alarmed now at the choices. Is there anyone who can see this more clearly than me? Any advice as to the cheapest way to get them ??
    Thanks everyone.

2. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,887
    If I were you I would play it safe and get them exactly what they want :D Fourteen year old girls who say they want an iPod wouldn't be interested in anything else in my experience.

3. extremelydodgy

extremelydodgy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    The Creative one will probably not be better to a 14 year old girl who wants an iPod. It is better for people who want something different to the iPod Mini and need radio, removable battery and voice recording. Public sightings of the Zen Micro have not been good. Me (total geek) who had no problems with it bar the battery, poor build quality and bizarre UMS implementation, a man probably in his late 50's clearly struggling to come to terms with it on the Underground by the look of his squint and hesitant thumbing, a clearly, um, 'happy' man on the District line, a girlfriend of a friend of mine who hates it and is looking forward to aforementioned friend buying her an iPod Mini.

On the whole, no. I run close to ten different programs on the same machine for getting music onto different players. The only ones out of those which relatively speaking constantly gives me problems are Sonicstage which you need to load music onto Sony machines, and the truly POS iRiver Plus.

Creative's offering, Mediasource and iTunes will coexist to a degree. HOWEVER, it is probably wise to separate the music folders that both uses, as Mediasource and iTunes frequently disagree on the music information embedded in the MP3 file ("tags") if you record CD's using iTunes... and Mediasource insists on overwriting it as 'Unknown'. Perhaps given the differences in preferences, this is wiser lest you find yourself listening to something unpleasant :devil:

iTunes Music Store is not compatible with Creative players. Any tracks you buy from iTMS, you'll need to burn onto CD then import as MP3's or WMV's for the Zen.

Also if you went with the default encoding in iTunes, you're probably recording to 128K AAC files which are not compatible with the Zen Micro. You'll need to set your encoding to 160K MP3 in iTunes, select your music files, right click and select 'Convert to MP3'.

4. dups45

dups45
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Get the iPod Mini, you already have iTunes so copying music wont be a problem, plus they will be thankful of an ipod more than a creative, and correct me if im wrong but doesnt the new mini have better battery life

i think the sound quality on the mini is better anyway, i heard a hissing souns whilst i was listening to several albums on the creative, furthermore, the iPod is easier to use, imo

5. Sharpy14

Sharpy14

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Get the Ipod, because their mates will take the mick out of them if they don't have that fashion statement.

As for the merits of each, the Ipodders will tell you theirs is better, the Creatives the same. I fall into the latter camp, having both a Zen Jukebox and a Zen Micro. I love them both and I am not limited to Itunes and can use WMA files which many download sites have (which Ipods can't use without faffing about burning to CD and converting). For the price, Creatives have more capacity, a removable battery, and in the case of the micro, a radio.

And best of all, I don't look like a fashion victim, and don't risk getting beaten up and having my "Ipod" stolen.

Be aware though, that probably a week after you give them Ipods, their mates will have mobile phones with MP3 players built in and they will have to have one of those. The new Sony W800 can take a memory card up to 1GB and has a media player built in.

6. David Mackenzie

David Mackenzie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,310
    To me the iPod and Mini sounded brash whereas the Zen sounded muffled and airy.

But either way, get them the iPod if that's what they want.