Creative Sound Blaster x-fi 7.1 PCI Sound card

qwakuk

Creative Sound Blaster x-fi 7.1 PCI Sound card

Will this card (which i believe is PCI 2.1) work in my Dell pc which has the following motherboard slots

PCle x16 Slot(s) 1
PCle x16 (wired x4) Slot(s)2
PCle x1 Slot(s) 2

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
PCI Express (PCIe) was the successor to PCI and is an entirely different and incompatible interface.

You can get bridges but they typically require you to rig something up to support the card rather than straightforward being plug-in solutions.

Having said that, if I recall correctly it was only the first generation of X-fi models (circa 2006) that were PCI, all of the later ones were PCI Express. And PCI is old enough that in recent years it's not uncommon to see PCI Express being referred to as just PCI.

You don't give the specific X-fi model (I don't remember there ever being a plain X-fi model) but it's possible it's actually PCI-Express rather than PCI.

The connectors are easy enough to tell apart, especially the shorter PCI-E connectors typically used on sound cards so if you post an image of it then we could say for sure.

qwakuk

Attachments

• BCCC1551-CB76-4E21-8905-301DF081B91F.jpeg
    BCCC1551-CB76-4E21-8905-301DF081B91F.jpeg
    598.1 KB · Views: 12
  • 5070 motherboard slots.pdf
    996.4 KB · Views: 17
  • 5070 motherboard.pdf
    252.3 KB · Views: 15

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
That looks like the XtremeMusic.

It's definitely PCI and wouldn't work in your system without an adapter. You'd want something a slightly later model like the Titanium.

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Streaming Theatrical Releases And The Future Of Cinema
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom