1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Creative screen ideas for a bay window...

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by dunkyboy, Aug 30, 2002.

1. dunkyboy

dunkyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hi, I'm buying my mate's Hitachi CP-X325 4:3 XGA projector and was hoping to get it set up in my new room (about 3.5m x 5m). Unfortunately, if I want to project along the length of the room (and I'm almost certain I do, in order to get an 8-foot screen :D), my options are somewhat limited. On one of the walls there's a door in the way, and on the other, there's a big bay window.

Now, I'm looking for inspiration on how to set up a screen in front of the bay window. It's almost exactly 8 feet wide from one side to the other, so it might just work. I obviously don't want to have it permanently blocking the window (i'm not quite *that* much of a fanatic :)), so I either need some sort of pull-down (or pull-up?) fabric screen, or an MDF screen that I could keep to one side and move into position for movies, maybe on some sort of frame?

It's a high ceiling (11-foot?) so ceiling mounting seems a bit impractical, but I dunno - might be doable.

The thing is, I'm on a very tight budget - I want to spend as little as possible, so a "proper" screen would almost certainly be too much £££.

So, anyone got any cunning suggestions? I'll see if I can get a picture of the situation up sometime soon (I haven't moved in yet, though, so I don't know when I'll be able to do it). Cheers,

Dunc

P.S. - I intend to get a good set of blackout curtains for the window, so I shouldn't have to worry too much about light coming in from behind the screen (I hope...)

2. MerMan

MerMan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Some people have used roller blinds as screens. These have been painted with black borders to help contrast, definition.

If you buy a long enough blind, you could paint the top black.

The blind could be hidden between curtains and a pelmet when not in use.

3. karkus30

karkus30
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,261
    How much do you want to spend?

4. dunkyboy

dunkyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hopefully not more than £100 or so for the screen itself (+ extra for paints & whatnot), and I'm happy doing a little DIY experimenting. ;)

Dunc