Creative screen ideas for a bay window...

dunkyboy

Hi, I'm buying my mate's Hitachi CP-X325 4:3 XGA projector and was hoping to get it set up in my new room (about 3.5m x 5m). Unfortunately, if I want to project along the length of the room (and I'm almost certain I do, in order to get an 8-foot screen :D), my options are somewhat limited. On one of the walls there's a door in the way, and on the other, there's a big bay window.

Now, I'm looking for inspiration on how to set up a screen in front of the bay window. It's almost exactly 8 feet wide from one side to the other, so it might just work. I obviously don't want to have it permanently blocking the window (i'm not quite *that* much of a fanatic :)), so I either need some sort of pull-down (or pull-up?) fabric screen, or an MDF screen that I could keep to one side and move into position for movies, maybe on some sort of frame?

It's a high ceiling (11-foot?) so ceiling mounting seems a bit impractical, but I dunno - might be doable.

The thing is, I'm on a very tight budget - I want to spend as little as possible, so a "proper" screen would almost certainly be too much £££.

So, anyone got any cunning suggestions? I'll see if I can get a picture of the situation up sometime soon (I haven't moved in yet, though, so I don't know when I'll be able to do it). Cheers,

Dunc

P.S. - I intend to get a good set of blackout curtains for the window, so I shouldn't have to worry too much about light coming in from behind the screen (I hope...)

MerMan

Standard Member
Some people have used roller blinds as screens. These have been painted with black borders to help contrast, definition.

If you buy a long enough blind, you could paint the top black.

The blind could be hidden between curtains and a pelmet when not in use.

dunkyboy

Hopefully not more than £100 or so for the screen itself (+ extra for paints & whatnot), and I'm happy doing a little DIY experimenting. ;)

Dunc

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Cleer Audio speaker + HiFi Rose Streamer Reviews & Movie/TV Show talk
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom