Creative Outlier Air and Outlier Gold

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by Zooks, Apr 28, 2019.

1. Zooks

Zooks

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
  2. Steven

Steven
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,615
    Compelling spec sheet and < three figure price tag. Quick research says it has been out a short while in Asia.

Creative Outlier Air

The UK site has an 8 May 2019 shipping date :cool: but need to pay for shipping

3. Zooks

Zooks

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    Seeing as their offering a satisfaction guaranteed refund for any reason I went and ordered. Should they be all hype i've only lost postage.

10% promo code was still working as of last night - OUTLIERAIR

4. Ado43

Ado43

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Got a pair of these in the post today. Havent had a chance to have a real listen yet but pairing was simple and isolation seems very good.

€71 delivered.

5. youngsyp

youngsyp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,558
    Mine arrived yesterday and I gave them a quick spin last night for an hour or so. Have to say, they're great. Great sound (obviously important), very good isolation (important to me) and seem well put together. I have some Comply tips that I will try with them, to see if they improve on the already good isolation.

I've been using a pair of Jabra Elite 65T's for the past 6 months or so, and on current impressions, I think the Jabra's will be going in the classifieds. I'll give the Outlier Air's time to bed in before I make the decision on that though.

Paul

6. Zooks

Zooks

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    Got mine too now. They seem ok for the money but not wonderful.

The buds themselves are comfortable and sound good but tips supplied don't fit my ears well so noise isolation isn't great for me. I don't think you can get foam tips for these yet.

On the plus side the conectivity is good. No drop outs so far.

7. Ado43

Ado43

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Mine are going back unfortunately. Despite excellent sound and being very comfy I’m getting dropouts, 2-3 every half hour or so. Would drive me mental.

Have sent an email to Creative.

8. chrislad

chrislad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +153
    I've ordered a pair, that should be here early next week - I have my QC35s but can be a bit cumbersome in some scenarios so these seemed like a nice middle ground.

9. kabal99

kabal99
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I urgently want to order these but official site doesn't ship them to my country (Latvia) and i cannot find them anywhere else. Can you guys help me find any other site that sells them?

Thanks.

10. Ado43

Ado43

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Was in contact with me and they have advised me to do a hard reset and they reckon that should solve the dropouts issue. I`ll give it a go tonight and see how I get on.
    Would much prefer that I didnt have to send them back and they worked properly. Apart from the dropouts they are really good.

11. Zooks

Zooks

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    Mine were sent from the Netherlands so I'm assuming you would have to return them to there?
    I'm waiting to see what they say about replacement tips before I consider a return.

12. Ado43

Ado43

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Mine came from there too but not sure where they would want them returned to yet.

Have reset them as instructed and been listening to Spotify for 25 minutes and had 2 dropouts so far. Not looking good.

13. kabal99

kabal99
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What phone do you have? Have you tried them on multiple devices?

14. Zooks

Zooks

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    Ok I'm done with these, RMA requested.

I was so busy trying to get these to fit with the supplied eartips I had only used them with them in line of sight of my Samsung S8 and hadn't actually left the house with them.

Now I have and they drop out constantly whilst walking with my phone in my pocket. The reviews i read highlighted their great conectivity but these are worse the the Jabra 65t's I had before.

It doesn't seem to matter whether i'm paired to the left or right bud or using SBC/ACC/APT+ codec. I have tried the master reset and also tried them paired to my wifes iphone, they still drop out.
    I'm really disapointed because musically their really good, maybe lacking the bass the reviews promised but that could be down to the poor fit on me.

Having tried the Samsung Galaxy Buds and Jabra's before I think I'm done with true wireless buds because just don't think the techs there yet!

15. kabal99

kabal99
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Damn, I just sold my creative outlier sports to buy a true wireless earphones but i still cant make my mind about what to buy. Reading that you guys are having dropouts and not good fit in the ear, idk what to buy then.

16. Zooks

Zooks

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    Tbh fit in ear is subjective and its probably down to my ears. The buds themselves are ok and don't drop out but the seal against my ear canal is poor hence so is the noise isolation and they then lack bass. I had a reply from customer support to say no other sizes are available and nobody currently makes foam tips for them.

The sound drop outs are another matter. Its not unreasonable to expect them to work properly with a phone on my person somewhere. Its not as if it was in another room or something!

17. Ado43

Ado43

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Ive only tried them with my phone - OnePlus 6T.

Tbh if they dont work properly with that then Ive no interest in them as thats what I would use them with 95% of the time.

18. kabal99

kabal99
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That is a very good phone. Ehh, i guess i'll just buy the jabra elite active 65t. I can't get the outlier air anyways since they dont ship to latvia.

19. Zooks

Zooks

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    Be carefull with those too. I found they were another set that would suffer sound drop outs if i had my phone in my chest pocket and my head between it and the right(master) earbud although they were better than the creatives.

20. kabal99

kabal99
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    65t's have the best reviews. It seems to me, that is the most reliable purchase at the moment.

21. chrislad

chrislad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +153
    Mine just arrived - paired very quickly. Listening away now, and the sound is good enough (not quite my QC35s but a bit smaller) for what I want from it.

No drops or anything yet, but I'll do a bit more testing this afternoon. Quality wise, they seem pretty good, and I have some foam tips I want to try out, though I did hear they may not fit in the case (and therefore charge) with these tips.

22. chrislad

chrislad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +153
    In terms of the drops, I've heard that if you change your codec from aptX to SBC via the Android Developer Options, it resolves the drops. My Note 9 was set to SBC anyway, and I've not experienced the range of drops that has been discussed here.

23. youngsyp

youngsyp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,558
    There are several options for foam tips for these currently as they're the same size fitment as the Jabra Elite 65t's. I'm using the Comply Truly Wireless Pro tips with mine.

Re the drop outs some of you are experiencing, I'm not getting any that aren't expected and the same is true for my Jabra Elite 65t's. My handset is a Pixel 2 XL for reference.

From the web chatter I've read around the Outlier Air's, there seems to be inconsistencies with quality. So if you're experiencing drop outs or other issues, you may have a duff set.

Paul

Last edited: May 15, 2019
  24. Zooks

Zooks

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    This might well be the case as mine were really bad and i have not seen too many bad reports on their conectivity. I have returned them now anyway but i hope those who are awaiting orders have better luck.

25. youngsyp

youngsyp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,558
    Just to add to this, it would seem even with the low profile Comply Truly Wireless tips, the buds don't quite fit in the case correctly, to allow consistent charging.
    With that in mind, I'm going to buy some full profile foam tips to see if I can improve isolation. I'm not bothered that I'll need to remove the tips to charge the buds.

Paul

26. Dreadknot

Dreadknot
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Got mine Yesterday. Thought i'd give some insight given the lack of user reviews anywhere.

EDIT- Using a galaxy S9 and APTX and U shaped EQ.

Sound Quality - With the correct seal and EQ settings these are almost on par with my RHA750's. Bass is slightly boomy and most prominent with slightly recessed mids and highs but they still remain clear (listening to metal). Clarity is slightly lacking but nothing to worry about. Great for the price and fact they are TWS.

Fit- The stock tips are a joke and I doubt many will get a decent seal. As someone said above, any standard any third party tips don't allow the buds to charge correctly. I'm hoping the ones youndysp mentioned will allow for charging.

The overall fit of the earbud is great and comfortable and slots into the ear nice and easily. I don't see these of falling out with normal excersize movements. Tested by headbanging, jumping about, star jumps and they didn't budge at all.

Connectivity - I'm getting no drops for maybe 30-60 minutes then going through other period of drops every 5-10 minutes. This was only tested while sitting at my computer for an extended period of time. I did hard resets of the buds, cleared Bluetooth cache, reset my phone, changed codes. Seems to be hit and miss. I've only ever owned Anker Soundbud Slim+ which are not true wireless ( Bluetooth only) for £17 and never had a dropout once.

*The whole time I was tying this message and doing other stuff around the house not one dropout (~60 or so minutes?) - I don't understand the inconsistency - could be be all the devices in my bedroom)

Ergonomics - The button is stiff AF and can't see myself using the onboard controls as it will mess up the seal by pushing too hard into the earbud. One would be best to use index finger to hold the inside of the bud while pressing the buttons. For me, i'll be using my phone for navigation etc

Battery - So far seems these will go the distance of 7.5-10 hours depending on volume used.

Any other questions let me know. I am hard to please and might send them back if they continue like this. I'll give it until the end of the week and trials in the gym, walking to work, london underground trains etc before making a final decision and provide an update here.

Thanks for this as all my tips are just coming off in my ear. Can you explain "expected dropouts" for TWS earbuds as i've only ever had bluetooth from anker and surprisingly had no dropouts at all over 1.5 years. Guessing I should expect 3 per hour or something?

Adam

27. youngsyp

youngsyp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,558
    By expected drop outs, I mean when there's is an external factor influencing the interface. For example, if I'm on the tube and stand by the door (phone in pocket closest to door), I'll get the odd flutter of drop outs as the doors open/ close. This is most likely the large metal surface of the door doing odd things.
    Also, if I'm walking with my hand in my pocket, near my phone (smart watch on wrist), I'll get an odd flutter of drop outs.
    This behaviour is the same with my Elite 65t's, on both counts and actually less so with the Outlier Air's.

I wouldn't expect regular dropouts, for no apparent reason though, as you suggest you might. And don't get them.

Paul

28. Dreadknot

Dreadknot
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK understood and I know this is typical of bluetooth. I went to the gym yesterday for 2 hours and only experienced these micro cuts once or twice when someone was walking by with what looked like bluetooth headphones also/across line of sight to my bag with my phone in it.

The most microcuts I experienced was sitting in my room at my computer but probably due to multiple devices being in close proximity.

If this is acceptable for TWS then I must say that the performance of the outliers is really really good.

29. Steven

Steven
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,615
    Not foam, but the spin fit cp360 has been announced for true wireless nozzle size

With thanks to @Zooks went down the internet rabbit hole and think the JBL Reflect Flow and OnePlus true wireless can be added to the watch list for summer 2019

30. youngsyp

youngsyp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,558
    It seems there's a 'hop-up' version of the Outlier Air's on the horizon:
    Outlier Gold

I've emailed Creative UK for information on when/ if they'll be launched in the UK.

My Outlier Air's will be returned and I'll buy a set of the Gold's when they arrive.

Paul