Creative Labs DDTS-100 Decoder

Bassbin

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Can't seem to find more than a couple of computer magazine reviews about this device. Amazon have it for £87.10

Currently I have a Denon 3802 with twin Servo 15 and Paradigm speakers all round. I also have 3 rotel power amps handy and am toying with using the Denon just as a proc but don't really have the room for it if i use the power amps.

I'm wondering how the Creative product might compare as non of the money has gone on amps/video/tuner/big case etc.. Is it reasonable to assume that it would decode to the level of a £500-800 receiver? I can't find any proper spec for it so I wondered if anyone had come across it.

I've just bought one ... so I hope its up to the job :)

I take delivery in the morning ... I'll let you know !

I checked the Creative site a couple of weeks back about it and their info is pretty terrible isn't it. I was going to get one anyway but then I downloaded the manual and it didn't mention any bass management which I need with my speakers. I'd like to know how you get on with yours Jabbs and if the manual was wrong.

Bassbin said:
... Amazon have it for £87.10 ... Is it reasonable to assume that it would decode to the level of a £500-800 receiver?

NO!

It's a great 'budget' piece of kit - it will probably sound like the real deal to most ppl without a particularly trained ear, and would anyway be more than enogh. But cannot compare it to none of the 500 to 800 AV amps! (I'm sure Denon and others would be offended at that comparison!)

avanzato said:
I checked the Creative site a couple of weeks back about it and their info is pretty terrible isn't it. I was going to get one anyway but then I downloaded the manual and it didn't mention any bass management which I need with my speakers. I'd like to know how you get on with yours Jabbs and if the manual was wrong.

I'll let you know as soon as I know (this evening :))

Sniper said:
NO!

It's a great 'budget' piece of kit - it will probably sound like the real deal to most ppl without a particularly trained ear, and would anyway be more than enogh. But cannot compare it to none of the 500 to 800 AV amps! (I'm sure Denon and others would be offended at that comparison!)

I still think it may be worth a look. Most midrange receivers are a compromise due to the amount that has to go in them for the money and the power amps and video circuits can be harmful to the sound. There's no decent information on the SN ratio for the creative but if it's built using similar components to their top soundcards it could beat a lot of receivers. I don't lik the 3.5mm jack connectors it uses for outputs but then again the phono sockets on most receivers are pretty cheap.

That said I'm still on the fence about whether to get one. I'll wait to see how Jabbs gets on with it.

I ordered the Gigaworks S-700 speakers and the DDTS-100 frm newegg. Haven't received them yet but as soon as they arrive I plan to them for a while and post a review here. Im thinking of using a chaintech AV-710 and use the optical S/PDIF passthrough to feed the DDTS-100. Hope it works well :)

I ordered one a couple of days ago with some creative speakers going to have a shoot out with it pitched against the budget set up I have in my flat.

The sound is awesome especially when watching movies. Only problem is when I play music or MP3's I hear sound in the front 2 speakers and the sub but the rest of the speakers are quiet. I know that music is stereo and thats why only 2 speakers are working. But I was wondering if there is any way to make all speakers work. Like a auditorium setup where the stereo sound can be heard in multiple speakers placed at different locations in the hall. Any suggestions? The DDTS-100 does not have an option to do this :(

Got this information now and my problem is solved! The DDTS-100 has Neo:6 and Pro logic. A huge majority of the current crop of home theater receivers contains one, if not both, of these processing formats (currently, more receivers offer DTS Neo:6 than the newer Dolby Pro Logic IIx). And no wonder! Both Dolby Pro Logic IIx and DTS Neo:6 do some pretty amazing stuff with material that was not formatted for multichannel sound. Instead of simply decoding information, both of these processing formats can take stereo sound from a CD, older Pro Logic surround from a VHS tape, or a 5.1-channel DVD movie, and transform it into 6.1-channel sound. They do a great job, and, best of all, they let you enjoy your entire 6.1 system with all your music, TV, and movies. Dolby Pro Logic IIx and Dolby Pro Logic II (the 5.1-channel version) also work with video games, which can be encoded for this "processing" technology. If you've never gamed using a serious surround system, you're in for a big (and wonderful) surprise.

Of course, Dolby Labs and DTS weren't the only ones to come up with specialized processing for multichannel sound. A number of manufacturers have built their own unique flavor of surround sound processing into their receivers. For the most part, though, those receivers have that special processing right alongside the more universally known types discussed above.

I would like to know if the DDTS-100 automatically detect what kind of decoding is used or do I have to select it manually. I want to use it with my Sat receiver and a pre-amo with 5.1 input and output.

Mike

Been shifting my room around today so it's not connected at the moment will check for you in the next couple of days but I think it doesn't auto detect formats.

Ok all plugged back in. Mixed news when you first switch the decoder on it defaults to stereo and optical input 1 (that's the only input I use though) If I switch on my freeview box it doesn't change to Prologic II on its own but it will stay in the that mode once you switch it unless you turn the mains power off.

It will switch to Dolby Digital when a DVD with that format is played. After I stop the dvd and switch back to the STB signal (the STB signal goes through my DVD recorder so no input switching is required) it goes back to Stereo. If you used seperate inputs it should remember the settings for each input until the mains is turned off. For me it makes no odds as I either way you will have to switch inputs or or surround modes. Everything is on the remote control so it is a breeze to use.

By the way I think it is a smashing little product and works very well with Creative's 7700/7900 7.1 speakers which I have with mine. You can get them as a package for about £150-180 I think.

Sorry to hi-jack the thread but i thought it pointless to make another one just for this question.

I'm thinking of getting one of these decoders myself but i need a quick question answering as i'd like to order it today for delivery tomorrow. Do you have to manually select which input is active or are they all processed at the same time? The latter is what i want, theres no point me getting it if it can't do that.

Hi,
Can you just confirm that the outputs from this (via the 3.5mm plugs), are pre-amp, ie they require feeding into a power amp for speaker-level output?

Thanks

Hi there peoples ..after looking at all the comments i think we all in da same boat .. i also have e mailed creative to find same answered .. i am in australia and creative online e bay shop doesn't ship to australia ?? mmm it's still listed on creative website here .. so just waiting for return e mail

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom