1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Creative Jukebox Zen Xtra 30GB

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by Northern Monkey, Jan 26, 2005.

1. Northern Monkey

Northern Monkey
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi everyone

Having spent a fair bit of time reading some entertaining threads on here re respective merits of the Zen versus I-Pod I have (almost) decided that the 30 gig Zen at £140ish the best option for me.

I have a couple of questions which I hopee one of the experts should find pretty straightforward:

1.) It appears that there is no line out. I will not really use the player portably, most of time will want it plugged into my AV receiver. Q- presumably I will be able to connect through headphone output but is this a massive difference to line out and will it provide an acceptable level/standard of output (I know "acceptable" is v subjective but suffice to say I am not a purist and it will be more background music for parties etc)

2.) Usage in car- will I be able to connect wirelessly in a similar way to i-trip ie are there non i-pod equivalents out there for Creative devices- can NE1 reccomend best way on this?

Cheers

NM

2. mick's cat

mick's cat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Apologies for the length of this reply.

1) Having no line-out on a player is not a particular problem other than that the player's output volume is of course variable (so inevitably you'll end up fiddling with the controls both on the player *and* the amplifier, to set it at the level you want), and if sold in the EU with its legal volume restrictions, is always low - so you have to turn up your amp volume quite high (which means that unless you remember to turn it down again before switching to another input, you'll be deafened till you get the volume turned back down). Line-out alleviates this, that's all.

2) I have used several of these fm transmitter devices for both iPod and non-iPod variants (a quick search on ebay is all you need): and can certify that they're none of them ideal, although some are much better than others, in both concept and quality. Quality problems you'll get are transmitting station drift and downright poor sound on the cheap ones, and the possibility that other stations will cut into your music occasionally as you drive around - again, worst on the cheap ones. Conceptually, unless the player is fixed somewhere in-car, rather than just loose on the passenger seat, you'll find it moves around the car as you drive, inevitably falling off the seat - this more often than not also affects transmission quality and makes them hard to use.

For both questions though the iPod family has the best solutions, but I won't bore you with that unless you want me to expand.

3. Northern Monkey

Northern Monkey
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Cheers cat - v helpful