1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Creative Jukebox Zen MP3 player review

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by Ian Cox, May 14, 2003.

1. Ian Cox

Ian Cox

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well I decided to get one of these last week as I wanted an MP3 player for the Gym, going to work on the train and for holidays. I also wanted a device that could hold a decent amount of music and be fairly small in size. Before the Zen came out the only device that really met all of these criteria was the iPod but I was not going to spend £400 on a portable music player no matter how good it looks.

The Zen measures 75.9 x 112.6 x 24.5 mm weighs 268g and has an in-built lithium-ion battery which is meant to give 14 hours of playback, I have not been able to test this yet. The device looks good and fits fairly easily into a pocket. It has a small blue backlit LCD screen that is easy to read, USB 2.0 port (there is a firewire version available as well) and most importantly a 20 GB hard drive that is big enough to store 333 hours of MP3 music encoded at 128Kbps.

The sound quality of the Zen is very good with music having good bass and treble extension. As creative know a thing or to about digital music there is a whole host of controls to customise the music exactly to your tastes. The menu system for selecting music is a little bit quirky but once you get used to it, it is fairly easy to use even when you are on the move. There is no recroding facility as standard so this is basically just an MP3 player.

Transferring music on to the Zen is easy through the creative software and the new USB drivers allow you to transfer music via Windows Media Player 9 as well. Transfer speed it pretty quick with each song taking a couple of seconds, this is through USB 1.1 as I do not have a USB 2.0 port on my PC. Overall if you are thinking of getting an MP3 player then I would thoroughly recommend getting the Zen. I picked mine up from Simply Computing for £243.

8/10

2. tomson

tomson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +187
    I very nearly bought one of these, I heard many good things about them, had a play with one and generally liked it enough to buy one. Lack of firewire was the only downside i could see, but all in all a really good mp3 player.

(The only reason I didn't buy one was cos I managed to get hold of a 10gb ipod for £180)

3. GaryG

GaryG
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
  4. Ian Cox

Ian Cox

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I did not know they were thinking about doing a 60 GB version, which would mean it could store 41 days worth of music :eek:, does anyone have that much music?

The Zen comes with loads of EQ settings like rock, pop etc and also has environmental settings that adjusts the music so it is easy to listen to if you are on a train or a car. You can also adjust the EQ yourself as it comes with a 4 band graphic equaliser. I think the bands are 100Hz, 800Hz, 3KHz and 12KHz all can be adjusted from +/- 12dB

5. Ian Cox

Ian Cox

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Forgot to add a picture to my review, so here it is......

Attached Files:

6. GaryG

GaryG
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks for the info Ian.

7. funkster

funkster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I agree, the Creative Zen player is great - however, I need to send it back and have gone and deleted all the files off it (sample mp3's and tutorial) and am desperate to find someone who still has them and could possible let me download them from their machine...oitherwise I'm worried I won't get a refund from the online supplier and I've seen something different I want!!

Please contact me if you can help, I'll try and make it qworth your while!

funkysteve@tiscali.co.uk

8. Commited

Commited

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    just got one of these second hand - fanstastic buy - If anyones in the market for a second hand MP3 player - these can be picked up for £100 refurbished on fleabay!