creative gigaworks t20 pc speakers - WAX?!

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by davidguest, Feb 4, 2014.

1. davidguest

davidguest
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just opened up one of these ( why bother you could well ask! ) because after an unexpected power cut while in use they seem to have quit working, the on-off light glows but no sound & no speaker hiss with volume control up full
    Anyway I finally got the thing open, in search of an internal fuse. I can see one in there but it looks intact.
    The amp circuit board looks like someone has melted an entire candle all over it. is that normal i.e. is some kind of seal applied over the components or is it all from horrible capacitor leakage, or a mix of both causes?

Some of it does seem to be oozing from top of various capacitors but there is so much of it! there are 2 boards, a main board with volume etc and a back board for the main power & signal input + the link to the other speaker. there is wax on both

I am curious as to what if anything this tells me about creative's manufacturing, I very much doubt the speakers are fixable ( well the LH passive one is probably ok but the electronics & controls in the RH one are probably fried).
    Finally, is that damage an expected side effect of a power cut? nothing else in house is fried, we had 3 PCs & a router on at the time & they are all OK,

2. spyder viewer

spyder viewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,285
    There's two kinds of coatings that spring to mind: one is hot melt glue which is generally used to attach heavier objects in place and stop them either flying off due to impact if dropped or vibrating and breaking the solder joints. The other is a conformal coating that protects the components from humidity and also provides mechanical support. This can range from a waxy material, easily indented by the fingernail to a hard resinous or varnish finish.

There is probably a single chip amplifier with a few peripheral discrete components. Unless you are lucky, repair is unlikely.

You might be able to fit a replacement amplifier module in there but I've no idea of time/cash required.

3. davidguest

davidguest
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks - some of it may well be hot melt glue, but were I see separate white waxy drops appearing at/near top of individual capacitors that would be leakage and that's bad, yes?

repair is impractical I'm sure,
    there's a 2 way x-over in there + tone controls + support for aux in, mic in; a lot of components on the boards.
    it is a little puzzling that a power cut could cause this though,as it's a 12v DC powered via-transformer unit, so it can really experience a surge, can it ?