1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Creative Gigaworks S750 - 7.1 - 700 Watts

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Bluelaser, Dec 14, 2003.

1. Bluelaser

Bluelaser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all :)

I am thinking of buying these speakers here:
    http://uk.europe.creative.com/products/product.asp?prod=542
    For use with my sound blaster audigy 2. With 210 watt subwoofer and 7 satellites, giving at total of 700 watts, is this system very loud?
    Also is the bass powerful and roomshaking?
    Is it a good buy for £300 @ dabs?

2. andy572

andy572
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Seven hundred of your best watts, eh? Wow! I bet there's a ton of guys preparing a sale of their 'old' gear, right now...

Oops, sorry - I had my cynicism hat on! Goes with anything, you see :devil:

More seriously, I'd imagine that whether the speakers are a good buy or not depends on your setup (small room or large room, for example) and experience of other hardware. I expect that the Creative boxes are really intended for 'near-field' listening - to be used when sat at a PC, for example - though they're probably more than sufficient for a small room too.

I'd say it really depends on what you expect or want of a speaker setup. They'll almost certainly be loud, but you may find that your £300 pounds can find better places to be used. If it's only for the PC and 7.1 that you need, you'll probably not find anything like it and the 2-way speakers may just make things sound that little bit sweeter.

If the 7.1 isn't a major selling-point for you, then you are treading into all-in-one or separates territory at that price. Just something to consider...

Sorry I couldn't answer directly. I'm sure someone will be able to and am certainly interested to know too. Good luck with whatever you buy and...

Enjoy! :smashin:

3. Yandros

Yandros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +531
    Hiya, Andy pointed me at this thread as I'm a creative 7.1 owner.

Actually I've got the baby Inspire 7700 7.1 speakers, and the Audigy 2 ZS. I did do some research though into the Megaworks range before I bought it, and I've got one note of caution for you. Our local PC hardware store is pretty clued up, and they laughed at me when I asked if they stocked the Megaworks. They've stopped selling them due to the appalling returns rate - the subs keep failing. In fact he said they'd used one of the sub boxes for a custom PC chassis for a bit of a laugh (I saw it too...too much time on their hands obviously).

So, it seems that they have/had some serious quality control issues...just something to be aware of.

As for the power/bass/loudness etc...

Yes it will be extremely loud. If you're using it in a typical PC setting (bedroom/study), I personally think it'll be overkill. My girlfriend reckons I'll have the police firearms unit knocking on the door if I ever play "Raven Shield" at anything about about 1/4 volume..and remember I've only got the 90 quid baby brothers of the ones you're considering! Seeing the size of the sub, it'll do a very good job of shaking the floor too.

However, as andy572 was hinting...you need treat the wattage numbers with a shovel load of salt on PC speaker systems. I've got a separates system with a total RMS output of 775 "proper" watts. The sub is set at about 4/10, and to match typical loud multiplex cinema volume levels takes a vol of about 3.5-4/10 on the amp as well. I don't think I could get the amp over halfway and still be in the same room.

7.1 isn't a huge improvement over 5.1, and it's tricky to get the speakers to placed nicely in small rooms. Mine aren't ideally placed at the moment, and I can still hear the individual speakers, which does sound pretty naff in games as you pan around (less noticeable in movies). Remember also that there are precious few films that take advantage of 7.1. Gladiator, Attack of the Clones and LOTR all sound good though.

In conclusion, I think it's worth spending over £100 if you want a good set of PC speakers. My £90 7700s are OK but hardly hifi standard. By all accounts, the megaworks/gigaworks are a sigificant step up in sound quality, so if you're happy to spend £300, I don't think you'll be disappointed. If you've got high end 5.1 systems on your shortlist though, I wouldn't buy the Gigaworks on the strength of 7.1 alone.

...and you can get it at a local shop with a good returns policy for similar money,I would seriously consider that, rather than an online order from Dabs etc.

4. overfloe

overfloe
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    the Megaworks (+ Gigaworks) range is one of the best PC speakers you can get. designed purely for PC use only. nice partner with the A2 / A2 ZS

5. russraff

russraff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    As is the Logitech 680 speaker package. This is another truly superb system, and costs less than the Creative one. Though it is "only" 5.1, I reckon that this is enough for gaming (and Home Cinema, come to think on it).

Go here for more info (its at the bottom of the screen).

Russell

6. Bluelaser

Bluelaser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Don't worry about dabs exchanging things, that do it much better than ebuyer and always will do. Problem is they are overdue and will be in stock 3 - 4 days. Is there anywhere local to me that might sell them?
    PcWorld don't!

7. Yandros

Yandros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +531
    just done a quick hunt around for you... looks like dabs, dabs or dabs at the moment :-(

You might want to try these guys.I've been doing business with them for 10 years. They're a small friendly supplier but they seem to be able to get hold of virtually anything, usually in 1-2 days. You might be able to get them to price match dabs too.

http://www.readycrest.ltd.uk
    tel: 01634 304060

8. Bluelaser

Bluelaser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There is allways ebuyer as well, 1 in stock and another company. I only trust dabs. Another concern is that my subwoofer will be right next to my customer build pc (by myself - I am technical!) won't the subwoofers vibrations shake something loose and break the pc?

9. Yandros

Yandros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +531
    Oooer that's an interesting one! Yes, that's a big sub for a PC setup, and I'd imagine unshielded. Personally I wouldn't put it side by side with your PC case. Vibration could be a problem too I suppose if you've got a wooden floor if you listen at high volumes a lot (check out the thread about subs on concrete slabs further down ;-) ). Can you site it elsewhere in the room?

10. andy572

andy572
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Ah, the old 'in stock in 3 - 4 days'! :laugh:

Late last year, that caused me to rethink my options regarding 5.1, as the 680s could never be found (and had some probably 'net-hyped problems). The issue of supply and widening of options continued and as I was low of budget, I eventually settled on a Pioneer all-in-one.

Have you considered that, Bluelaser?

I can't report on any other machines, but imagine that they're quite comparable at around £300 and can certainly say that for a Pioneer DCS-303 you'd almost certainly find it "very loud... and roomshaking" :eek:

Mine resides in a three by three metre room and has the capacity to be uncomfortably loud, should you be so inclined as to keep pressing '+'. I'm not! :laugh: Nor is anyone I know, come to think of it. All bow before the 'mighty', little box :clap:

There you go. If £300 is a strict budget, as it was for me, then an all-in-one is (in my little opinion) worthy of serious consideration. If you can stretch a little further, you may fall into separates territory. For this latter option, just remember to add the cost of cables onto your budget! Regarding all-in-one alternatives and in no order, Pioneer, Sony, Samsung, JVC (who have made a 6.1 model) and Panasonic appear to garner favourable review. A quick click on the 'search' button up at the top right of the screen or a browse around the dedicated all-in-one section should find all that you need.

I hope that helps and that you return with a report on your purchase.

11. Bluelaser

Bluelaser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No, I do not have a wooden floor. Actually, I have a high thick pile carpet. Is it ok if I place the Sub 1 foot away from the pc now?

12. Yandros

Yandros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +531
    I meant is the underlying floor wooden or concrete? Concrete floors (for example in our lounge), transmit less low frequency vibration than wooden floors (eg on our 1st floor).

I think you'll be ok with regards to magnetic fields 1ft away (this is a guess..I'm not digging out my EM theory lecture notes to prove it!)
    I also think you'll be ok for vibration to be honest, since I doubt if you'll be listening at earth shaking volumes all the time. I do wonder though whether you'll actually want a 210W sub right under your feet.

13. Bluelaser

Bluelaser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well I was here actually when this was built. The underlying floor is made of wood, then under that there is polystirine stuff (white) then there is concrete beams and bricks, then into the foundations, there is just earth under the concrete beams and bricks. Also, the floor about 1 meter away from the sub, was raised with a thin layer of concrete, and after that it is just hard concrete.

14. Bluelaser

Bluelaser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a picture when I had my old altec lansing 5100 speaker set that I sold. Sorry about the damb mess, it is tidier now and the surge protector is in the corner, and all the wires are tidy. Also the pc is the same, like the aquarium :p
    (Sorry about the low res pic, forum restrictions!)
    Do you think if I put the sub a bit more to the left, away from the pc, about the current sub, will I be ok?

Attached Files:

15. Bluelaser

Bluelaser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well guys?
    I just had a thought, on bass notes, won't you see ripples of waves in the water:eek:

16. Count.d

Count.d

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I have just received my S750 set today.

They are very, very good. Good clear sound with no distortion. The sub is excellent.

They are perfect for games where the deep sub really kicks in to give atmosphere. I can't imagine much better in the sub-sat market. For music they are nice sounding and well balanced, but being the owner of a £15,000 hifi system where the speakers cost £4,000, I find myself over critical when listening. In the end of the day, they are pc speakers.

17. Line_Man

Line_Man
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    These speakers look quite good. Where did you get them from and for how much?

18. Bluelaser

Bluelaser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    7.1 isn't a major selling point to me really at all, all I want is power and loudness and a lot of bass. As you say £300 is going into seperate teratory. Well I now have about a max of £400 ish, say if I wanted a stereo 2.0/2.1 setup with a lot of bass, what would be my best bet?
    Any good brands at all, I am new to this so please help out, thanks

19. andy572

andy572
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Your options are manifold, bluelaser.

Do you have any requirements beyond loud and full of bass? Is Dolby Pro-logic II a prerequisite, for instance? Or do you have to consider available space and hence need to keep to small hardware?

If you're considering separates, it may be a good idea to build a setup progressively - leaving a sub for a later stage, for example. Even an apparently :devil: modest bookshelf speaker can project jaw-dropping sound and in the case of one friend, left him sub-free and happy for at least a year.

As the situation allows, he adds or replaces a piece of hardware. In his case, a few months ago, a REL sub entered the fold and more recently, he bought a new DVD player. All the while, his smiles (and those of 'his' audience) are getting ever-wider :clap:

If you are thinking of separates, as I mentioned earlier, don't forget to factor the cost of cables into your potential setup (£50-100 at a very vague guess).

Right, let's get you sorted! :smashin:

20. Bluelaser

Bluelaser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I want to connect my setup to a sound blaster audigy 2 card using spdif or 3 analogue jacks....

21. Count.d

Count.d

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Mr Bluelaser,

You say you're not interested in 7.1. What do you want to listen to from your pc?

If it's for games, then a sub is a must and 6.1 or 7.1 does add enormous sound effects.

If it's for hifi then I would stay away from Logitech, they have far too much bass coming from the subs.

The Creative range are made by a hifi manufacturer and nicely balanced for music.

This is basic advice, but if you wish to know more please ask.

22. Bluelaser

Bluelaser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok, for games and music mainly. But, is it possible to add another subwoofer to the system or would it be overkill?

23. Count.d

Count.d

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Adding another sub would be an overkill on the S750. When I say Logitech have too much bass coming from the sub, I mean it's a muffled, non distinct bass which is actually irritating and over powers the music.

The S750 has a more refined bass and sounds detailed. I increase the sub power for games and decrease it for music. It's easily done as the wireless remote is in front of me. I play Colin Mcrae Rally game and the deep sub makes this game sound fantastic. If I kept the sub on the same setting for music, it would be too overpowering.

One comment I would make, is that we are discussing pretty cheap speaker set-ups here, in hifi terms. All these pc speakers are small plastic units and will not give you room filling, sweet sound. It all depends on what you class as acceptable for a given budget.

24. Bluelaser

Bluelaser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    did you get the last set from ebuyer?

25. Count.d

Count.d

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I got them from www.Scan.co.uk for £272.

Dabs are not that cheap any more.

26. Manfred

Manfred
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I might buy a pair. I havn't ordered online before, but is scan better than dabs?

27. Count.d

Count.d

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Scan are very good, you will have no problems with them.

How about that for a quick answer?

28. Manfred

Manfred
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is it possible I can hear or even see this speakers in action?
    Pm me for my Msn Messenger addy or Netmeeting Ip :)