Creative Aurvana Live! or Senheisser HD 555

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by willykatie, Feb 5, 2009.

1. willykatie

willykatie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +450
    I'm getting ASUS Xonar D1/DX as will only using it with headphone for movies (mainly), gaming and music.

Until this moment still can't find HD 555 available and HD 595 is well over £100. And found this headphone called Aurvana Live! by Creative and it is the same headphone as Denon AH-D1001 which rebranded by Creative.

Is it a good headphone as i know many people mentioned to me about HD 555.

Creative Aurvana Live

Also my friend offer me his Xonar D1 for £50 only used around 2 months, will it be better get new one, Xonar DX?

Thanks

2. willykatie

willykatie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +450
    Can someone help me with this or any suggestion for good headphone for less than £80?

Thanks

3. pixel8

pixel8

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    I bought the Aurvana Live from the Creative Ebay site for £38.56 (inc del) so when i receive them i'll post again. If however, i don't like them - and i'm no expert - i'll probably go for the sennheiser HD555's...

PS: mainly for gaming but this JVC SUDH1 surround box thing is apparantly the dogs' with any decent stereo phones ... http://bluetin.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=120{8}41&osCsid=a0cd07a5b555c14541ca113a4c4de88f

Last edited: Feb 23, 2009
  4. willykatie

willykatie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +450
    I went for HD555 and i made the right decision :)

5. pixel8

pixel8

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    ..why did you decide on the HD555 and how dya know you picked well?
    My AL's arrive today (i think) but i'm still not sure whether i should'av got the HD555's (although i hate how they look)...:rolleyes: Have you used them for gaming?

6. willykatie

willykatie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +450
    Decided for HD55 because i had a few Senheisser before already and roughly i know the sound will be fantastic and clear also after reading, closed headphone i.e Aurvana Live will get my ears warm after a while and that would annoy me and open headphone will sound better than closed headphone (from what i read).

I have used hd555 for gaming, music and movies pair with Xonar D2X and sound absolutely amazing. I can tell that sound nearly as good as my sound system.

The other night was playing COD [email protected] and heard somebody sneaking behind me with knife and i turned around and shot him straight away :D

I can tell that i made the right decision :)

7. jp_bl_68

jp_bl_68

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +458
    I just bought a pair of HD555s from Amazon. They're still in stock at around £55 delivered.

I was also considering the Creative Aurvanas but opted for the HD555s as I'm more familiar with Sennheiser headphones. They're very comfortable. Excellent sound quality, quite spacious. When I first put them on it sounded like I was sitting near a speaker rather than wearing a set of headphones.

I'm currently using them with a fairly inexpensive MP3 player (SanDisk Sansa Clip 8gb) and they still sound fantastic.

At £55 they're definitely worth a go.

8. pixel8

pixel8

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    OK so i eventually plumped for the Creative Aurvana Live over the Seinnheiser HD555's and here's what happened...

This is more of a heads up than a review 'cos i'm not good at reviews but i know a few other members have been wondering about these, so this is more of an experience than a review...So i hope it helps someone :)

Purchased from Creative's own Ebay website, I received these cans in a very light (almost empty feeling) cardboard box from a very polite DPL delivery man. Delivery was very quick and communication was good.
    Opening the outer box, the headphones, well packed with "air baloons" were packaged in a pretty cool looking presentation box with a dinky little hologram of a pair of headphones...nice touch!!!
    So opening the box we find the accessories: Pull-cord closing microfibre type carry bag that can double as a cleaner for the Piano Black headphones; A very flimsy, 5ft extension cord with gold-plate 3.5mm male/female ends; A gold-plated "large" adapter plug for the normal amp - can't remember the size but we all had one in the 70's! Oh and whilst not an accessory, the Warranty -also included.

So to the headphones themselves.
    First noted was their classy black shine - look good beside the PS3 - and how very very light they were. As said before, when i signed for the box, i really thought it was empty...these are light but they look solid and feel well-made.
    The cups are quite small, carrying a raised silver "Creative" logo over the shiny black finish which, at the operational end, is also bordered by broad cloudy silver bands, taking you nicely towards the silky smooth leather ear pads.
    The cups swivel almost 45 degrees from left to right and up and down and the headband, which is also cushioned, is covered in the same soft leather used for the ear pads. The headband adjustment is rather large, extending in short clicks at both sides, around 2" above the cups so
    easy to access and adjust although my setting is "0". The actual adjustment is about 2" each side but the metal band from side to side is very flexible and conforms nicely to the head....not too tight and not too slack!
    When worn, the headband sits slightly forward, making then quite secure on the head but a quick, sharp flick backwards, causes them to slip ever so slightly... so no head-banging...at least backwards!
    What i did not like was the cord. The headphones have two cords leading into one (one for each phone) and i didn't really like that but the main thing was the length - it's only around 4ft so for me at least, hardly even enough to reach halfway towards my amp about 6ft away. So i hadn't even listened before i was on the net looking for a cheapish extension!!!!

So how do they sound?
    Well, on the head without source, you can hear pretty much most of what's around you-allbeit muffled... a bit like covering your ears with the palms of your hands. However, when the source is on, i heard very little background noise, even at low levels.
    I played COD4 (who doesn't) at -30db (WoW) and the missus couldn't hear a thing...so she gives them a 10/10 for zero-leakage.
    Now, i'm NO sound expert so this is about how MY ears responded - yours will be different but i was well impressed within seconds.
    I have only ever own one set of cans - a Technics digital brand costing around £20 when was about the same age and i've always been happy with them...good all rounders and that includes gaming. However, the Creative Aurvana Lives really blew me away.
    The soundstage i think they call it, was all around and beside but not IN my ear and even listening to TV adverts, i could hear even the finest sound crystal clear such as the coffee beans hitting the jars in the Nescafe ad....seen it but never heard it!!!
    Sometimes voices sounded a little bassy or dull but i think that might have been either my settings or those of the different ads, i don't know.
    When connected to my amp (see sig), i went through all my different sound settings and noticed loads of variation that was absent when using my old Technic digitals.
    I also noticed that the volume level didn't require the same levels either and when playing COD4, the Technics cans needed around -25dB whereas the Creatives required a very comfortable -40dB but maybe this is just a quality/driver issue...i really don't know, but it instantly improved my kill-ratio...the "spatial awareness" in my view, is incredible and please note that even although i have a great 5.1 system, i've noticed that i play more and more using the Aurvanas....which keeps the missus happy as well.
    Like the Nescafe coffee beans, i also noticed some subtle differences in COD4's sound effects as well i.e. in overgrown, lying in the grass i could hear flies buzzing around my head and "distant" voices in Strike. Having said that, a lot of other players' voices online were very muffled but i'm not a headset dood so they get muted anyway...i like to hear my opponents, not listen to them...

Are they comfortable?
    Well, my Technics digitals could only be worn for around 20 mins or so before getting hot and annoying. The Creative aurvan Lives however are far from that. I've used them for a while now and the longest i have worn them was around 5-6 hrs on COD4...only taken off for short periods and i found them very comfortable indeed. not or ever feeling too tight and although my ears were warm, they were never hot.
    You know that feeling you get when taking off your boots on a hot day...You don't get that with these cans 'cos they seem to stay quite cool?

IMO, the Creative Aurvana Live Headphones look good, feel very comfortable and don't cost the earth so yes, i would recommend them. :thumbsup:

Last edited: Mar 14, 2009
  9. skidu

skidu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +48
    The Creative's use the exact same Fosters driver found in the Denon AH-D1001's which are pretty highly regarded over at headfi and retail for about twice the price.

I recently brought a pair from amazon for £39.99 (they've gone back upto £70 now iirc) and compared to my HD485 - they're vastly superior in every area.

In comparison the HD485's, sound quite muffled due to the poor midrange and suffer from harsh trebles (silbance?) - assuming the 555 have a similar signature albeit slightly less bassy id go for the CAL's.

10. jat1964

jat1964
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank for the excellent review....just got a pair off the creative ebay site for 45 pounds....Now where can i get a high quality extension lead ????

Cheerz

James :clap:

11. pixel8

pixel8

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    I thought i'd spent enough so i got one of these 3M-3.5MM PLUG TO JACK HEADPHONE EXTENSION CABLE/LEAD on eBay, also Other, Cables Connectors, Home Audio Hi Fi, Consumer Electronics (end time 01-Apr-09 11:32:32 BST) good heavy insulated single cable and ?gold-plated fittings. No expert but i didn't notice any change/loss in sound quality...Oh and delivery was quick :)
    I also got one of these Belkin Pro Series Mini Stereo Extension Cord 3.5mm M: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo but haven't tried it yet but it does feel flimsy compared to the above. The coy. also get good ratings on the 'zon !!!
    PS: I got it from PCparts UK...:thumbsup:

Last edited: Mar 16, 2009
  12. jat1964

jat1964
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that just ordered extension cable for 3.49 including postage...looks reasonable quality two....

Creative have emailed me....should have the headphones within 48hrs!!!!

Will report back

Cheerz

James

13. Uriel

Uriel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    I bought a pair of CAL!s. They were pretty decent but couldn't compete with my Goldring NS1000s for detail and realism so I sold them on.

Still - a very enjoyable 'musical' sounding headphone. I spent a good few pleasant hours with them.

Would be nice to hear someone do a direct comparison with the HD555s.