Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Creative Audigy 2ZS - 5.1 with HDWMV's?

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by superjim, Jan 22, 2005.

1. superjim

superjim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Has anyone found a workaround for getting 5.1 or DTS from the Creative Audigy 2ZS via SPDIF and external receiver? Creative say it can't be done on their FAQ section. DVD's work fine but other 5.1 encoded files only come out in stereo, even tough I know they are encoded in 5.1. Obviously, I have set the decoder to passthru' SPDIF. :lease:

2. BassThatHz

BassThatHz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Creative should change their motto to:
    It can't be DONE and we will NEVER support it! LOL

Well there is good/bad news: first isn't not DD or DTS it's WMA9 Pro, second unless your receiver supports WMA9 Pro decoding (good luck)...and even then you'll still need at least MP10, DX9.0b, XP and a sound card to output spdif 5.1!!!

By the way, i am a programmer and I knew this would be a problem before the Audigy 2 was even on the drawing board. I blame Creative for not supporting DD Live Real-Time encoding in the Audigy 4 (DVD-A in SPDIF with Audigy2 too) and Microsoft for trying to monopolize the audio world with WMA9 Pro.

Microsoft's Explanation can be found here:
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/d..._d53e7cae-7fc0-4461-89a1-9b2a95ba2871.xml.asp

What will be next you ask? Well the same issue between multichannel lossless digital PC Audio and external audio components(receivers/"pre/pro"). What else do you think they will do with all those extra bits on the Blue Laser/HD-DVD's LOL.

There is good news:
    -If you happen to have a reciever supporting WMA9 Pro then great
    -If you happen to have a hardware solution to DD Live like
    the Nvidia Nforce 2 then great
    -if not then download ac3filter 1.01a rc5 and you should be able to transcode the signal into DD 5.1 over the spdif in real-time using about 5-10% CPU power.

Otherwise just wait around and buy audio components that feature a Windows Longhorn compatibility sticker LOL.

3. stripe

stripe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +123
    I gave up on trying to get anything out of my Soundblaster, even when connected to Soundblaster digital theatre. Now using the output from the built in spdif on the motherboard, which works great with everything I have connected it up to.