Creating wedding videos on solid state drives

Max Palmer

Novice Member
Reaction score
I film weddings, and I currently deliver on BluRay and a portion of it is delivered online (5 min highlight). As relevant as BluRay still is, I'd like to experiment with USB delivery. What I'd like to do is this:

• Have a DVD-like standalone player with chapters, built in HTML for computer playback
  • Have the file (without the standalone player obviously) also play if the device is plugged into a TV with a USB port on it
  • Possibly have it play on other devices such as Roku, Amazon TV, other set top boxes
My question is, does this sound like something that is feasible for modern TV's and some set top boxes? Do most of them just play a standard H264/MP4 file without issues?

In my experience it isn't the tech, its the clients. I shoot around 50 weddings a year and only in the last year have people been readily accepting Bluray. Some clients we have even bought them bluray players so they can watch the films in the best quality. Perhaps your clients are more tech savvy but mine wouldn't even consider taking a USB key as the main delivery format.

In answer to your question, yes, h.264 encoded MP4s should be pretty much universally supported at this stage of smart TV tech.

If anyone asks for a digital video file they are probably tech savy enough to understand they are getting a MP4 video and not much else.

There is no menu like system for MP4, you'd have to wrap your video in some sort of player with it's own UI e.g Flash if you go down that path so it autoplays the exe to bring up the UI, you could have a plain mp4 on the stick as well for playback on regular media player.

MP4 is just a file, to create a menu structure you need to use the well known file and folder structures used for optical storage media.

The navigation data (chapters, menus etc), uses additional files from the actual video/audio content.

DVD-Video for SD content stored on DVD media (Digital Versatile Disk)

AVCHD allows HD 1080i content with full menu access on DVD blanks

Blu-ray

Some media players will replay with full menus from either the correct file and folder structure fom the above or a iso image file. You can mount a .iso file on a PC which will play back just as if you had a optical disk.

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom