1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Creating web based e mails

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Dr Diversity, Aug 26, 2005.

1. Dr Diversity

Dr Diversity

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    We all get those e mails from CD WOW, E buyer etc that seem to be e mailed web pages. What package is used to create them? Obviously I could do someting in Word (Yuk!) and transpose it but I am looking for something more professional! I don't think that Outlook is fit for the job either.

2. kelvin

kelvin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    They're normally just HTML as opposed to anything really fancy. In Outlook you'll note that when writing email there's usually a "Plain Text" or "HTML" setting - switch to HTML and away you go :)

3. The Dude

The Dude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,385
    yeah, that's all you need.. :)

once you have outlook set to html format, you can bung external html straight in there if you so fancy... be warned though, lots of places block html email these days, and have policies in place to force outlook into plain text mode..:devil:

4. Astaroth

Astaroth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +114
    or, like our systems, they only get the text element of the HTML and cannot get the pictures/graphics - fine for some but others you cant make anything out at all

5. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    Good old Thunderbird blocks pictures until you click the "Show Images" button. :cool:

I think that my Misco emails are just a link to a page on their site which appears. :)

6. chedmaster

chedmaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    so does outlook :)

as much as i like firefox, i cant get along with thunderbird. it doesnt even work with gmail half the time.

7. The Dude

The Dude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,385
    nah.. I'm not a big thunderbird fan either... it's too old and clunky compared to Outlook '98 onwards. Probably still better than outlook express though..?

8. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    Not as good as Outlook (although I'm looking forward to the Mozilla Calendar project coming along a bit further) but much better than Outlook Express.

I can't use Outlook as it doesn't support my IMAP accounts.

9. The Dude

The Dude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,385
    it should do...? I think everything from '98 onwards supports IMAP, certainly everything 2000 onwards does.

what problems do you get when using IMAP?

- I don't think IMAP comes as a default provider on older Outlook versions, you'd need to add it as part of a custom install.... it's definitely supported though.... I've got the grey hairs to prove it! ;)

10. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    I've got Office 2000 and couldn't find the IMAP options when I was messing around with it a few years ago. Thunderbird definitely wins with ease of configuration but I'll have a look into Outlook again although on a single machine the extra functionality isn't a lot of use to me. :)

Eviljohn2: Hating POP3 standard accounts everywhere. :D :devil:

11. The Dude

The Dude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,385
    yeah, it's defo supported. maybe just not included as part of the standard Outlook install.....

Once you have IMAP support installed, it just appears as an option on the account setup dialog, alongside POP3 / Exchange etc.... :smashin:

I honestly couldn't live without my tasks and calendar...my memory is a bit fried after one too many bangs on the head..:rolleyes: my life would be a slow and painful existence, with "I'm really sorry" phonecalls on an hourly/daily basis..:D

I just love the way you can drag a contact to your inbox, drag an email to tasks, drag a contact to the calendar..etc etc.... Outlook is one of the best programs ever written IMHO, I think that's why nobody else has bothered trying to compete with it...

In 8 years all MS have really managed to improve is the reading pane behaviour, that by normal MS standards is very impressive indeed! :thumbsup: