Creating standard DVD using HD clips

Puzzled lad

Standard Member
Apologies for the long post.

In short, I want to create standard DVDs of HD video clips I have shot on a Sony Handycam HRD-SR12E.

Details of what I have done so far:

I have a Sony Handycam HRD-SR12E with which I have shot many video clips. I imported the clips onto my desktop computer using the Easy PC Back-up facility in the Handycam Utility. (Windows explorer shows that this resulted in a .m2ts file and a .modd file for each clip. I can play the clips on my computer using Windows Media Player.) The Sony application asked me if I would like to analyse the clips. I clicked yes. In the progress display, a "clock face with a moving arm" appeared to left of the filename being analysed. At the end of the analysis of each file, a yellow triangle with an exclamation mark appeared under the "clock face" probably indicating an error but no error report was visible. (Windows explorer showed a .moff file for each clip)

When I launch the Sony-supplied application Picture Motion Browser Version 3.0.00.11220 to view the clips, PMB comes up in Folders view and then takes an eternity to create the thumbnails for the clips and still does not succeed - the thumbnails are all the same and are not pictures of the first frame of the clip but some default blank or error thumbnail. (Compared to that Windows explorer instantly displays correct thumbnails.)

The PMB Guide says "Registering videos and still images is necessary if you want to view the videos and still images you have saved to a computer with Picture Motion Browser". But when I follow the procedure detailed the the Guide, in the "Register Folders to View" window, my cursor changes from an arrow to a "no entry" circle when I point to any folder.

I gave up on PMB and used Roxio Creator DE, Version: 9.0.116.I selected Video/ Create a DVD with MyDVD. In the window "MyDVD 9 - Untitled (DVD)", I selected Add New Movie. Added a few .m2ts files and opted to "insert all video clips as one movie". The display said "some or all files will need to be converted ...." and I opted for the conversion to go ahead. A "failure to create map" message appeared.

HELP!!

grahamlthompson

Distinguished Member
You don't need the extra files just the video m2ts/mts clips nor to analyse the clips. The extra files are required to store the face recognition and other things you don't need.

I normally simply copy the files direct from the camera to a folder for Example MyHDClips. (Just accessing the camera as usb drive). Create a 2nd folder to hold the mpeg2 downscaled clips (say MySDClips).

Open PMB and register MyHDClips. It will start to analyse the clips, just cancel the procedure.

Select all the clips in the folder, then under manipulate Choose convert to Mpeg2 and select your MYSDClips folder as the destination. After the conversion pretty well any DVD authoring package/Video editing package will create a DVD from the now 720 x 576 mpeg2 clips. DVDFlick is free but very slow.

If you want to create a AVCHD HD disc (you need a BD player to play back) try TSmuxergui it's a lot less buggy than MultiAVCHD.

Open TSmuxergui, Add the first file and join the rest and select AVCHD output. Select a folder for the output and then start muxing. Here's how to burn the folder using the free IMGburn.

http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive/burn_avchd_with_imgburn.cfm

If you burn the output as a .iso file you can easily burn multiple copies of the AVCHD disc.

Reckon on 20-30 mins for a single layer DVD blank (depending on bitrate used to record) and double for a dual layer.

Last edited:

rogs

In short, I want to create standard DVDs of HD video clips I have shot on a Sony Handycam HRD-SR12E.
I read that slightly differently from the previous posters. I assumed you wished to create DVDs that will play in a standard DVD player, rather than on a Blu-ray player.

In that case you will have to convert to standard definition Mpeg2, and author a DVD.

The easy way is to use DVD Flick

It's free, and essentially a 'one click' solution.
Input your .m2ts files --output a compliant DVD file ready to burn to a disc.

OK, there's actually slightly more than one click ! :), but it's really quite easy.
One thing: When you open your .m2ts files in DVD flick you'll probably have to access the 'all files' option from the drop down 'add title' folder menu, rather than the default 'all supported types' where the .m2ts files do not appear.
Don't worry though, DVD flick will accept and convert them OK.

Edit; Sorry Graham, I didn't read your post carefully -- I see you have alredy suggested the DVD flick option.

Last edited:

chrishull3

When footage is on a timeline dont all software allow the choice of how and what you want to render the film to ie bd /dvd /hdv /file , all the software i have used has.

grahamlthompson

Distinguished Member
When footage is on a timeline dont all software allow the choice of how and what you want to render the film to ie bd /dvd /hdv /file , all the software i have used has.

Generally yes but if the end product is a DVD it's a lot less processor intensive to start with DVD compliant 720 x 576 mpeg2 footage particulary if the PC is a tad underspecced.

chrishull3

oh well once on a timeline a 66m dvd can rendered and burnt in around 1hr 50m for me imaterial if the source video is hdv avchd etc, even when i had a less powerfull pc ,i see the point

Puzzled lad

Standard Member
Open PMB and register MyHDClips.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Working with PMB is proving quite painful - maybe there is something wrong with my system. When I open PMB, it takes a long, long time before it displays any thumbnails (typically 25 mins). And when it does display them, they are practically useless as they are not pictures. So if you wanted to manipulate only a few of the clips in a folder, you will have to view the thumbnails in Windows explorer and make a note of the filenames of the clips.

I downloaded DVDFlick and created a normal DVD using just 7 short HD clips (about 5 mins in total). The process took about 30 mins and the DVD played ok.
My Computer spec:
Dell Dimension DXP061
Processor: Intel Core2 CPU 6300 @ 1.86 GHz
RAM: 2 GB
Disc free space: 230 GB

Questions:
1. You say DVDFlick is very slow. Is there any freeware that is quicker? I say freeware because I do not want to spend money and then find it is as painful to use as my PMB.

2. 5 mins worth of video took up about 800MB on a 4.7 GB disc. At that rate I will get about 28 mins of video on the disc but I the label on the disc says 120 mins!

grahamlthompson

Distinguished Member
I don't have vista (thank heavens :D). In Win 7 you can change explorer to display the thumbnails and it works with AVCHD files.

You will probably be better off converting the clips to mpeg2 first. Try super(c).

If you just want to join these together without any fancy editing other than chopping out the bits you don't want and create a DVD with menus really quickly try Videoredo Tvsuite. It's not free but there is a free trial period (there is also a H264 version which works with HD .mts material).

Because the software only recodes at edit points it's unbelievably fast.

A 1 hour mpeg2 programme from a Freesat box took less than 8 minutes to write a dvd image using this. Burning the image of course depends on the speed of the burner.

rogs

Questions:
1. You say DVDFlick is very slow. Is there any freeware that is quicker? I say freeware because I do not want to spend money and then find it is as painful to use as my PMB.

2. 5 mins worth of video took up about 800MB on a 4.7 GB disc. At that rate I will get about 28 mins of video on the disc but I the label on the disc says 120 mins!
1. DVD flick uses ffmeg to encode to mpeg2. Very good quality, but slow. You could try an alternative mpeg2 converter -like Super, as Graham suggests - although I thought that uses ffmeg as well, so it may not be any quicker?
I know some people, realising that the process is going to be lengthy to get best quality, let it run overnight. Thay may be an option for you?

2.DVD flick will steer towards the 'target size' set in the project settings. This is for a single sided DVD (4.3GB) by default.
It is therefore likely to encode a short sample at the maximum permitted bitrate, as the optimum setting for a short file. It would automatically adjust for longer files, so that you might expect to get up to 2 hours or so, onto a single sided disc, without too much quality loss.

EDIT: You might like to read through the comments here SUPER 2010 build 42 - VideoHelp.com Downloads before you decide to try Super.
Maybe just someone having a gripe, but it does look as 'build 42' may have a problem? -- and apparently, you can't go 'backwards' to previous versions.
As I say, may be nothing, but forewarned is forearmed!! :)

Last edited:

Boostrail

I have tried DVD Flick with .MP4 HD footage from a cheap HD camcorder and run into problems with aspect ratio. I end up with a 21:9 DVD! Also it isn't as good PQ wise as I would expect.

I have followed an alternative route which works for me.

Convert .MP4 to Mpeg2 using Any Video convertor (freeware). Link

Edit using any video editor in my case Premiere elements.

Export edited footage as .avi with pixel aspect set at 0.9 for 30fps material or 1.0 for 25fps material.*

Author to DVD folder using AVS to DVD (freeware). Link

Set aspect to 16:9 using PGC Edit (nagware) Link
(Open DVD folder right click on main title(s) and select "Domain Stream Attributes" and check 16:9 radio button then save changes} - remarkable bit of software!

Burn to DVD using ImgBurn Freeware Link

May seem long winded but it takes no longer in practice. Also you get the opportunity to do a lot in terms of editing, adjusting video and audio parameters, adding text, etc.etc.

The result is of course not HD but is a remarkably good SD DVD displayed as 16:9.

Also I must say I was never really happy with DVD's produced from my older DV footage until I used AVS to DVD and ImgBurn.

I now also have a better HD camcorder that records in AVCHD. As yet have not tried to apply this to m2ts but will report back when I have a reasonable bit of meaningful footage to play with.

With acknowledgements to other members of this forum who over the last few years have suggested the elements of this procedure.

*Note that if I use 16:9 pixel aspect settings at this stage I get 16:9 picture but letterboxed in a 4:3 display! ( i.e. displays correct aspect ratio but with black border all round)

Last edited:

senu

Distinguished Member
Thanks
Saying that though costly Vegas Pro 10 does a very nice job in one package ( I made some SD DVDs from Sony Camcorder sourced AVCHD footage just last week) but the nuts and bolt method with free software is well worth knowing
Thanks for sharing:smashin:

Puzzled lad

Standard Member
Thank you Boostrail for a detailed response. It is all the more welcome as DVD Flick has stopped working.

DVD Flick was ok when I created a test dvd but for the next project, when I tried to add titles, MS Windows reported "mpgtx.exe has stopped working" though Task Manager showed it was using ~50% cpu time. I used Task Manager to end DVDFlick but that did not kill mpgtx.exe and had to kill it separately. I uninstalled DVD Flick and re-installed it. Still no joy.

I feel my attempts to create dvd's is jinxed - first PMB, then Roxio and now DVDFlick! One common factor is my computer with Vista. I wonder!

Boostrail

I'd try de-installing DVDFlick and re-installing. It works for me( XP) but with the shortcomings as described. Also you cannot do much in the way of editing.

As I say have not tried this route with .m2ts yet but I think it should work.

Premiere Elements is of course not freeware I got an earlyish version however bundled with Adobe Photoshop elements. There are freeware editors out there but I cannnot recommend one as I have only ever tried one and I never got on with it. I believe you could use Windows Movie Maker but I have never tried it except once where another poster suggested it could be used with an add on codec pack for HD .mp4, however it didn't work for me.

The one aspect of Premiere elements that I found useful was the ease of control of the video and audio attributes when exporting to .avi. This was not so (or perhaps as apparent) in the other older version editors (Pinnacle and ULead) that I have.

Premiere elements would actually import the HD .mp4 footage direct but again with an incorrect aspect ratio and took forever to manipulate the footage and gave issues with sound track disappearing halfway through a clip etc!

Trending threads

Latest news

T+A expands E-Series with PA 1100E integrated amplifier
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Bowers & Wilkins unveils new PX wireless ANC headphones
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Roku Premiere streaming device with 4K HDR hits UK
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
CTA launches 8K UHD TV display certification programme