Creating Folders on SBT

Drongo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi

Thanks to the superhuman efforts of forum member cjed; I managed to set up my Logitec Squeezebox Touch and ReadyNAS.

I have been using it for several months with only minor hiccups (which I may well ask about later on) but now need some assistance with something that I am sure is very simple; but seems to be beyond me… :facepalm:

I use dBpoweramp to rip my CD’s which are all arranged alphabetically.

What I would like to do (without hopefully re-ripping everything) is to arrange the contents into folders i.e.

1) Rock & Pop
2) Jazz
3) Classical
4) Opera
5) Mrs Drongo’s Music
6) Audio Books
7) Audio Plays

I’m sure that this must be possible? But how? :rolleyes: Obviously; I should have done this to begin with; but there we are.... :blush:

I thought it would simply be a matter of creating a folder within the CD RIPS folder that the CD’s ripped on dBpoweramp go to.

I created the folder and put one of my wife’s CD’s into it; it’s visible on Windows Explorer; but not when I search the files on the squeezebox; even after rescanning.

The path to my NAS as set on dBpoweramp:

dbpoweramp.jpg

My music folders as seen in Windows Explorer:

musicfolder1.jpg

The subfolder I created for my wife (Marilyn) which contains the All Angels CD. As you can see; it's there on Windows Explorer but not visible via the Squeezebox:

musicfolders2.jpg

What have I done wrong and what do I need to do to create folders that I can access via the SBT? :blush:

As you can probably tell, with regards to everything computer/IT related, I am a complete and utter moron.

Please keep your explanations nice and simple.:D

Many Thanks

Drongo

I may be oversimplifying here, and sorry if I'm not directliy answering your question but;

As the Squeezebox apps for Android and IOS all have sort/select via album, artist, or genre, capabilities I let the Squeezebox do the heavy lifting.

My NAS is all set up with Artist/Album as the default folder/file structure under /MUSIC. My brother has all of his files by album/artist on his NAS. Doesn't seem to make a lot of difference. I don't bother with a subfolder under that for CD RIPS like yours either. I'm using a simpler folder structure. All music (CD rips or paid downloads are put in the same /MUSIC folder. Any criteria-based searches or sort/select I do is via the Squeezebox Touch apps (Ipeng on Apple, or Squeezebox Remote) or even the actual remote control and I don't manage/arrange my folders as closely and specifically as you want to. Seems like too much work to me. Just went with the dbpoweramp defaults. I do try and get my metadata right though. That takes a bit of ongoing maintenance.

As for favourites, I haven't gone as far as you want to with personal settings and wifey settings etc. My wife can find what she wants by working with the existing artist/album/genre options. It's close enough to her Ipod touch menus that she understood it right away.

Last edited:
Hi

Thanks for your reply.

I’m currently doing what you are i.e. using the Artist/Album default file structure.

As you can see; I would now like to increase my use of the Squeezebox and also store Audio books, Audio plays as well as my wife’s music. Whilst I’m sure that I could store all these things in a long Album list; it just seems very messy to do so.

I might know that a certain title is an audio book and not an album or a play; but it would be much easier if I could create folders for each category instead.

When I tried to create a folder in my ‘CD RIPS’ folder (using windows explorer) it is not visible when scrolling through the album list on the squeezebox touch.

The folder is also not seen when scrolling through the album list on my Ipad; using either Ipeng or the free Squeezebox app.

I’m baffled (something that frequently happens when ever anything computer related is involved!) and would like to be able to sort this out.

It can’t be that difficult; can it? :confused:

Sorry I am unable to assist. Still don't really understand the need for such granular, hands-on management of your file structures. In a way you're asking the SBT to act as a PC on your network. It is after all primarily just a music streamer.

good luck.

Sorry I am unable to assist. Still don't really understand the need for such granular, hands-on management of your file structures. In a way you're asking the SBT to act as a PC on your network. It is after all primarily just a music streamer.

good luck.

Thanks.

I suppose there isn't a need to do this; just a desire. But a desire based on making life easier.

When eventually; the stored content gets to a few thousand CD's plus Audio Books, plus Audio plays and my wifes music; I would rather not have to scroll through a very lengthy list to find things.

I don't think that I'm asking the Squeezebox to do anything other than to read the file structure of what's stored on my NAS. It's sorting that file structure that is the problem.

The Squeezebox system doesn't really have the concept of "folders" in the same way as a filesystem does. There are a number of ways in which you can shortcut the accessing of content, either by Genre, or by Playlist.

You can create your own Genres at the point you rip the CDs (using dBpoweramp for example), just type a unique keyword into the "Genre" box at the top before ripping the CD.

Playlists are another way of organising your content, although they require a little more work.

You mentioned Audiobooks - in what form do you have them? If they're on CD then it should be possible get them into the Squeezebox system, however, if they're digital downloads (such as from Audible) then they will probably have DRM and cannot be played through the Logitech Media Server/Squeezebox.

Hi cjed

Thanks for that information. So if I create a subfolder within my CD RIPS folder; there is no way the Squeezebox will see that sub folder?

Thanks for the idea of using 'Genre' - I should have thought of that earlier. Is there anyway of inputting or editing the genre of an already ripped disc? Or do I have to delete it and re-rip using dBpower amp?

I have several audio books on CD; however I was thinking of downloading new ones from Audible. That presumably isn't going to work if they have DRM? It would seem as if they can only be played back on the device on which they are downloaded? Could I get round this by making my NAS / CD RIPS folder the destination when I down load an audio book?

Thanks for your help and I cannot say thank you enough for the help you gave me when I got the NAS and Squeezebox. Without you I wouldn't gave got it going at all. :thumbsup:

... So if I create a subfolder within my CD RIPS folder; there is no way the Squeezebox will see that sub folder?

Well, the server software (Logitech Media Server - I'll refer to it as LMS from now on), will scan the folder and look at the media files in it. Each media file (audio track in the case of CD rips) has metadata embedded, this metadata (often called Tags) includes Artist, Genre, CD Name, Track Name, Year recorded and so on.

LMS puts this metadata information into a database it maintains, and then presents different views of the information, indexed from different Tags (that's where the Artist, Genre, Year etc. lists come from).

As far as I'm aware, the location of the media file on disk (i.e. which folders it's located in) is not available as a piece of metadata (Tag) and so you can't use that to index the media files.

Thanks for the idea of using 'Genre' - I should have thought of that earlier. Is there anyway of inputting or editing the genre of an already ripped disc? Or do I have to delete it and re-rip using dBpower amp?

There are certainly applications that let you edit Tags on batches of files at the same time. In fact I think you can do it with one of the dBpoweramp utilities - I'll investigate and see if it's possible.

I have several audio books on CD; however I was thinking of downloading new ones from Audible. That presumably isn't going to work if they have DRM? It would seem as if they can only be played back on the device on which they are downloaded? Could I get round this by making my NAS / CD RIPS folder the destination when I down load an audio book?

The DRM embedded in files such as those downloaded from Audible don't usually restrict which device you can play them on, but does stop applications "copying" them (or in the case of LMS, broadcasting them over your network). There is unfortunately no convienient workaround for this :(

For example, in the days before I had an iPod in my car, I would import an Audible audiobook into iTunes and then use that to burn it onto CDs to use in the car - However, as a CD only holds 70 minute or so of audio and audiobooks are frequently 20+ hours long you can see what a tedious process this is.

Alternativily you could play the audiobook on your PC using Audible's application and record it direct to an MP3 audio file, then add that to your squeezebox library. Downsides to this approach is that you must leave your PC to do this in real time (i.e. it would take 20+ hours), and you would lose all the chapter markings.

Well, the server software (Logitech Media Server - I'll refer to it as LMS from now on), will scan the folder and look at the media files in it. Each media file (audio track in the case of CD rips) has metadata embedded, this metadata (often called Tags) includes Artist, Genre, CD Name, Track Name, Year recorded and so on.

LMS puts this metadata information into a database it maintains, and then presents different views of the information, indexed from different Tags (that's where the Artist, Genre, Year etc. lists come from).

As far as I'm aware, the location of the media file on disk (i.e. which folders it's located in) is not available as a piece of metadata (Tag) and so you can't use that to index the media files.

Right; I understand that. :) So I thought it was possible to create subfolders but it is not with LMS.

There are certainly applications that let you edit Tags on batches of files at the same time. In fact I think you can do it with one of the dBpoweramp utilities - I'll investigate and see if it's possible.

Thanks; that would be very useful. :thumbsup:

One question with regard to genres. The Squeezebox has a list of genres that one can scroll down; but is that list fixed within the squeezebox or does it read the genre of the disc you are recording? In other words; if I enter a genre that is not on the list i.e. 'Audiobook' will the squeezebox recognise it?

The DRM embedded in files such as those downloaded from Audible don't usually restrict which device you can play them on, but does stop applications "copying" them (or in the case of LMS, broadcasting them over your network). There is unfortunately no convienient workaround for this :(

For example, in the days before I had an iPod in my car, I would import an Audible audiobook into iTunes and then use that to burn it onto CDs to use in the car - However, as a CD only holds 70 minute or so of audio and audiobooks are frequently 20+ hours long you can see what a tedious process this is.

Alternativily you could play the audiobook on your PC using Audible's application and record it direct to an MP3 audio file, then add that to your squeezebox library. Downsides to this approach is that you must leave your PC to do this in real time (i.e. it would take 20+ hours), and you would lose all the chapter markings.

So I can get my Audible download on my NAS; but the squeezebox won't read it then?

Thanks for the idea re converting to MP3 in my PC and then adding it to my library. I hadn't bargained on it being so much of a faff. I'll have to think about that one.

Many thanks for your clear and comprehensive reply. :smashin:

One question with regard to genres. The Squeezebox has a list of genres that one can scroll down; but is that list fixed within the squeezebox or does it read the genre of the disc you are recording? In other words; if I enter a genre that is not on the list i.e. 'Audiobook' will the squeezebox recognise it?

No, the list of Genres is not fixed. LMS will generate it from the values of the "Genre" Tags it finds on your media files. So if you enter a new Genre (which you've made up yourself) when ripping CDs, that will appear in the list following the next LMS re-scan of your library.

So I can get my Audible download on my NAS; but the squeezebox won't read it then?

That's correct. I actually store my Audible downloads (.aax files) on my NAS, but that's only to make sure they're backed up and to allow me to import them into my iTunes library for subsequent use on my iPod.

You can manage genre tags in something like MP3Tag (free software), and similar library management tools.
IIRC, there are podcast plugins but I've never used them

You can use the 'browse music folder' feature in LMS via your squeezebox to go directly to audio books, or the SWIMBO's music collection. As long as the audio file is in a format that Squeezebox can play back..

'Browse music folder' is therefore a sort of file browser that bypasses the internal tag database of LMS.

So you could have a structure like..

Audio>
------Books>
------------Pratchett
------------Tolkein
------Drongos music>
---------------------Acdc
---------------------Aerosmith
---------------------Black Sabbath
------Marylins music>
---------------------Abba
---------------------Assorted girly stuff
------Plays>
----------Radio plays
----------Shakespeare

Hope that makes sense

As long as LMS is configured to see the Audio directory you should be good to go.
Its a kludgy workaround but it should work fine. Downside is all your non music will show up as music so maybe experiment with various tagging schemes for the books/plays

If you re-organise your music directory, you will have to rescan it to make sure the regular music indexing picks up the changes, I always 'clear and rescan' if I make big changes like changing the file structure.

No, the list of Genres is not fixed. LMS will generate it from the values of the "Genre" Tags it finds on your media files. So if you enter a new Genre (which you've made up yourself) when ripping CDs, that will appear in the list following the next LMS re-scan of your library.

Thanks; that clarifies things for me. :)

That's correct. I actually store my Audible downloads (.aax files) on my NAS, but that's only to make sure they're backed up and to allow me to import them into my iTunes library for subsequent use on my iPod.

OK, so it looks as if I want to store my Audiobook downloads on my NAS and access them the Squeezebox, then I will have to go with your idea of converting them to MP3.

You can manage genre tags in something like MP3Tag (free software), and similar library management tools.
IIRC, there are podcast plugins but I've never used them

Thanks for that. Someone else has suggested MP3Tag to me. I did download it awhile ago and to be honest I haven’t got the slightest idea of how to begin to use it. I really need an idiots guide…. :blush:

Perhaps if cjed or anyone can explain how to retag my existing recordings within dBpoweramp that might be best? :confused:

You can use the 'browse music folder' feature in LMS via your squeezebox to go directly to audio books, or the SWIMBO's music collection. As long as the audio file is in a format that Squeezebox can play back..

'Browse music folder' is therefore a sort of file browser that bypasses the internal tag database of LMS.

Audio>
------Books>
------------Pratchett
------------Tolkein
------Drongos music>
------Marylins music>
------Plays>
----------Radio plays
----------Shakespeare

Hope that makes sense

As long as LMS is configured to see the Audio directory you should be good to go.
Its a kludgy workaround but it should work fine. Downside is all your non music will show up as music so maybe experiment with various tagging schemes for the books/plays

If you re-organise your music directory, you will have to rescan it to make sure the regular music indexing picks up the changes, I always 'clear and rescan' if I make big changes like changing the file structure.

Thanks; this is most interesting.

From what I understand of your post and cjed’s comments is that normally LMS will not recognize subfolders within the music folder. But if I use the ‘browse music folder’ feature then it will read subfolders?

The path way you have described above is exactly what I want.

As I said in my first post; this is my music folder pathway:

musicfolder1.jpg

My albums all appear on my Squeezebox in this order. Is this what you mean when you say “As long as LMS is configured to see the Audio directory” ? :confused:

OK; now the really dumb question. Where is the 'browse music folder' feature in LMS? I can’t find it! :blush:

Thank you both very much for your help! :thumbsup:

Try Foobar2000 for tagging it's simple to use and very powerful. Just point it to your library and you can then select an album> right click>properties and all of your tags will appear. Change the genre to whatever, hit save and you're done :)

... OK; now the really dumb question. Where is the 'browse music folder' feature in LMS?

I didn't even know you could do this! On my squeezebox (not in LMS) I select my library (CJEDsMusic), then the default choices are "Artists", "Albums", "Genres", "Years", "New Music", "Random Mix", "Music Folder", "Playlists". "Search", and "Switch Library".

Select "Music Folder" and you get a list (Alphabetically sorted) of the folders that LMS is scanning, which you can then navigate down until you find the media files you want to play.

So you could organise your folders as nacmacfeegle suggests and be able to browse through them.

Firstly thank you to all who have responded.

Secondly, apologies for my delayed reply, but I have been very busy.

Audio>
------Books>
------------Pratchett
------------Tolkein
------Drongos music>
------Marylins music>
------Plays>
----------Radio plays
----------Shakespeare

Hope that makes sense

I didn't even know you could do this! On my squeezebox (not in LMS) I select my library (CJEDsMusic), then the default choices are "Artists", "Albums", "Genres", "Years", "New Music", "Random Mix", "Music Folder", "Playlists". "Search", and "Switch Library".

Select "Music Folder" and you get a list (Alphabetically sorted) of the folders that LMS is scanning, which you can then navigate down until you find the media files you want to play.

So you could organise your folders as nacmacfeegle suggests and be able to browse through them.

Thank you both!!! :thumbsup:

I’ve had a quick try and this seems to work; though I want to create a few more sub folders to be sure.

Try Foobar2000 for tagging it's simple to use and very powerful. Just point it to your library and you can then select an album> right click>properties and all of your tags will appear. Change the genre to whatever, hit save and you're done :)

There's a guide to using mp3tag with LMS - Mp3tag - SqueezeboxWiki

Thank you. If the above described method of searching for subfolders works; I shouldn’t need to re-tag my music. But I will look at Foobar2000 and read the link to using MPtag – just in case. ;)

Thanks everyone. I’m sure more questions will follow… :D

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom