1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Creating DVD's!!!!

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by WBC, Sep 22, 2003.

1. WBC

WBC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Guys,

What software do you recommend for creating your DVD's????

Thanks
    Stace :D

2. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What part of "making your DVDs"? The burning or creation?

Depends on what source material TBH. VOB Edit/Ifo Edit/Img Tool for vobs obviously, then whichever burning software you prefer (I don't like burning with Img Tool - not many options available).

For other sources..........that's another story.

Try here & look at recent similiar threads here - loads of useful info therein.

:smoke:

3. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,956
    For copying original dvds or from scratch?

Different software is needed for either application.

For copying, I used DVDShrink, DVDDecryptor and Nero, for DVI capture I use Premiere and might try XPs Movie Maker. I use Pinnacle Instant CD/DVD to get them onto DVD after that.

Gary.

4. gab2001uk

gab2001uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Ulead DVD Workshop is easy to use and works with many different video file formats. Can also burn the discs directly, although I prefer Nero 6.15 for that.
    There is a trial for Ulead, but to avoid all the form filling you can get it direct from them via FTP ftp://ftp5.ulead.com/pub/Trial/workshop/
    This should work in IE6, else use an ftp client. (Right-Click on the file DVDWS12_Eng_Trial.exe and select Copy To Folder on the pop-up menu)

The makers of TMPGenc also do their own DVD authoring app at http://www.pegasys-inc.com/e_main.html

5. Rob.Screene

Rob.Screene

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    I briefly tried the demo of TMPGenc Author for my daughter's first Christmas DVD (yes, I didn't finish editing until July!). It worked very, very well.

Seems to import and export the large files faster than the Spruce-Up trial (no longer available since apple bought them). Didn't hog the machine either, so can be left running in the background.

Also esoteric AC-3 soundtracks as well as MPEG2 audio (plus the standard uncompressed PCM audio), like Spruce-Up, but also looks to allow moving menus, etc.

The wizards for chapter menus worked well and split the chapter screen grabs across many pages nicels. The advantage with Spruce-Up is that it allows up to 24 smaller shots on one page, which I prefer.

brilliantly

6. WBC

WBC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for all the input guys.

Basically, I have used VStudio to create a movie project from mini-DV. The project is now finished and I want to burn it onto a DVD that will play on a standalone player.

Visual Studio will create the mpeg2 file. I just need a good bit of software that will create my menus and burn to disc. VStudio claims to do this but I thought something else may be better!!!!

Obviously not as straight forward as I had hoped!!!!!!!!!

Stace :D

7. mikeq

mikeq

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I tried the TMPGEnc DVD Author first but found it pretty restrictive in terms of the menu creation etc

Moved on to the ULead DVD Workshop trial, brilliant lots of felxibility and easy to use.

Mike

8. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,956
    If you want to create sinple menuse with sound and moving backgrounds or a static image of your own then Pinnacle Instant CD/DVD will do that for you. At only £5.49, it's a bargain:

http://www.blankdiscshop.co.uk/acatalog/Accessory_Section__Cables___Software___Console_.html

The product is about half way down:

{AC 530} Pinnacle InstantCD/DVD Ver7.0 copying software (OEM packaging) for use with CD and DVD recorders.

It will even burn to CD as a DVD with the menus etc - I tried it and both DVD and CD worked great and were the same quality. Of course the CD is fairly limited on time, but cheap and great for short films.

HTH

Gary.

9. vonhosen

vonhosen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
  10. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,956
    I think Expression (or a cut down part of it at least) is part of the Pinnacle Instant CD/DVD software, and it does seem to work well. My only complaint from the little I've used it so far is that it's quite slow in the final burn, but that's my only niggle with it so far.

Gary.