Creating DVDs, Nero 11 or not?

Jackal

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hey guys n' gals!
I'm looking to make some friends some DVDs for christmas from some of the home movies on my PC, most of them are WMA format.
I want to encode them onto a DVD video so they dont ahve to play them on the PC.
I also have a new PC with no burning software on it so I need to buy something so I can burn, I also need to backup onto BD-R.

I know Nero 11 has Nero video and Nero burning ROM which will work for my needs, but Is there soemthing better/more reliable for crating a DVD?
If so, I'll jsut get Nero Burning ROM.

Regards
Jackal.

As it is a new PC I assume it is running Windows 7?
If so then you already have all the software you need - Windows DVD Maker

Mark.

You're assumptions a correct, but is the DVD maker any good? I can give it a try but I dont mind paying for something that going to make my life easier, that's the best thing to spend money on!

*goes to try DVD maker*

IMGBurn is a well made and easy to use bit of software AND it's free.

I agree that IMGBurn is excellent, but AFAIK it does not have the ability to author a DVD only burn a previously authored ISO or folder structure.

Mark.

Ok problem resolved, i have purchased a copy of Nero 11 standard and created a DVD... it took me 3 days but I did it! first it wouldnt install, then the Pc kept crashing... I blame windows 7 for all this! but eventually it's wonderful, burned a dual layer DVD9 too! 4.4 hours on one disk.

The editing software (nero video) is vastly superior to anyhting in the past yet just as simple to use, it must be easy 'cause I managed it! It even lets you put intro videos! It wasn't horably expencive either and although most of the features I will NEVER use, I feel like I've got a good value for money product.

One thing though, I still dont trust it to encode and burn in the same process so I burn to a disk image then burn it to disk with nero express.

Windows DVD maker is so basic and woudlnt even work, either it doesnt have full support for all drive, DVD9s or WMVs, or it's jsut a badly written, incomplete piece of software which I've come to expect from a gimiky add on program bundled with a microsoft product. But it's free and you get what you pay for.

Thanks for your support guys, you were a help! well at least you were MarkE19.

Ok problem resolved, i have purchased a copy of Nero 11 standard and created a DVD... it took me 3 days but I did it! first it wouldnt install, then the Pc kept crashing... I blame windows 7 for all this! but eventually it's wonderful, burned a dual layer DVD9 too! 4.4 hours on one disk.

The editing software (nero video) is vastly superior to anyhting in the past yet just as simple to use, it must be easy 'cause I managed it! It even lets you put intro videos! It wasn't horably expencive either and although most of the features I will NEVER use, I feel like I've got a good value for money product.

One thing though, I still dont trust it to encode and burn in the same process so I burn to a disk image then burn it to disk with nero express.

Windows DVD maker is so basic and woudlnt even work, either it doesnt have full support for all drive, DVD9s or WMVs, or it's jsut a badly written, incomplete piece of software which I've come to expect from a gimiky add on program bundled with a microsoft product. But it's free and you get what you pay for.

Thanks for your support guys, you were a help! well at least you were MarkE19.

Well it sounds like you have some software that you are happy with - and that is what counts :smashin:

Enjoy it and I hope it does all you want it to :)

Mark.

Well it sounds like you have some software that you are happy with - and that is what counts :smashin:

Enjoy it and I hope it does all you want it to :)

Mark.

I hope so too, and if i find anything better, I'll be sure to let you guys know.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom