1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Creating DVD's from Mini dv

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by sanj_4, Nov 1, 2004.

1. sanj_4

sanj_4
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi There,

I was wondering if any one has any tips on creating DVD's from Mini DV tapes?

I have a sony dcr-pc105 and last night I tried to transfer my video's to dvd, but the quality was very poor when the DVD was played back? I did use a usb cable rather than firewire does this affect quality?

I was using Movie maker and then converted it in Nero 6 to burn onto DVD not sure if the conversion drops quality?

Any help/pointers would be appreciated regarding How to's for best quality reproduction onto DVD's.

Thanks

2. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,380
    Well I can honestly say that you will never get good quality onto a DVD if capturing DV via USB, its just not up to the job. The only way to get full quality video onto the PC is via firewire.
    File conversion to MPEG-2 (this is the file that is used by a DVD) to be copied onto the DVD does result in a loss of some quality, but under normal circumstances this will be slight and mostly unnoticed. Movie Maker is fine for editing and Nero is a good program for burning a disk but you may find a dedicated authoring program makes life easier and you can add chapters and a menu that I don't think Nero will let you do.

Mark.

3. johnjackthom

johnjackthom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +236
    Hi, THE most important thing is to use the firewire connector.

USB is only useful for webcam or stills.

If you don't have a 1394 connector on your PC you can get the one I'm using from dabs.com for around £12. This even includes a 6pin to 4pin firewire cable.

ie Manufacturer : DABSVAL
    Product : Lucent Firewire 2/3 Port PCI
    Quicklinx : 179GZD

Hope this helps :)

Sorry Mark, you just beat me to it. :thumbsup:

4. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,380
    Yeh, when you have 'waisted' as much time on the forums as me you'll be able to type a lot quicker too :devil:
    15 years working in IT and its the forums that teach me to type, now all I need to do is learn how to spell :blush:

Mark.

5. sanj_4

sanj_4
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers for the help guys off to Dabs or Ebuyer for a Fire Wire card!