Creating DVD-RAM Discs.

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by simkna, Oct 4, 2004.

1. simkna

simkna

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I want to be able to create DVD-RAM video discs on my PC to play in my Panny E55, then reformat and use again once watched. I am struggling to find any software for the PC that will do this. I use DVD Author and Nero to create DVD-R discs from e55 recorded DVD-RAM, but am not having any luck with creating Panasonic readable DVD-RAM discs from PC. Any ideas?

Si.

2. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,282
    Have a look at the Ulead products ( www.ulead.com ) - several of their applications can create VR mode recordings for use on a DVD-RAM. Alternatively why not use DVD-RW? Although your Panasonic cannot write to them it will read them. Accordingly you could author your video clips in TMPG Enc and just burn to DVD-RW instead of -R. You can then re-use the disk.

3. johnjackthom

johnjackthom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +250
    I would also recommend using DVD-RWs.
    They're so much cheaper than RAM discs and will play in most other DVD players.
    I'm using Datasafe discs, at 60p each, as the equivalent of cheap videotapes.
    These play back perfectly in my E60.

Not sure I'd use those for archiving however. :)

4. dude1971

dude1971

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    On the subject of DVD-Ram disks, how do you reformat them? I've tried it in my Panasonic e60 but it won't do it and reformatting ito on the PC using fat32 hasn't helped. What have I done wrong? All I did was copy a movie to it.

Regards

Dude

5. johnjackthom

johnjackthom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +250
    I've formatted Memorex and Panasonic RAM discs on a PC in order to try them out for data storage (SLOW), but didn't have any problems reformatting them in the E60, so I don't think that's the problem.

Were they good quality discs? :confused:

6. dude1971

dude1971

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It was a Smart Buy disk, the Panasonic ones are ok to be reformatted.

7. dude1971

dude1971

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Now the Panasonic one won't reformat either. If I try to burn to it on the PC it says it's full up but there are only a few files on there and they are tiny. I've erased it using Nero and now it think it's a CD. Help!

8. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,282
    Try reformatting it on your PC. Ensure you use the UDF2.0 option!

9. dude1971

dude1971

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have tried it on the PC, what is UDF 2.0 - I'm not familair with that and I searched for it on google but I'm none the wiser!

Regards

Dude

10. daydreamer

daydreamer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    from google:

What is The Universal Disc Format (UDF)?

The Universal Disc Format (UDF) specification was first released by the Optical Storage Technology Association (OSTA) in 1995 and is designed to be a common logical file system for all removable optical storage media. Over the years various updates to UDF have been introduced to add new capabilities. So with DVD, UDF 1.02 is the standard file system used for DVD-Video, DVD-Audio and DVD-ROM prerecorded and writable discs. UDF 1.5 is frequently employed for incremental writing while UDF 2.0 applies to DVD-RW and DVD-RAM discs written in the DVD Video Recording (DVD-VR) format.

http://www.osta.org/technology/dvdqa/dvdqa2.htm

11. dude1971

dude1971

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK, that makes sense but if I'm just reformatting the disk how do I know what version of UDF I am using? I think I formatted it using fat32 and I've also tried using Nero to no avail.

12. sweat100

sweat100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I suggest you install the Panasonic dvd ram driver, i once format to FAT32 and can change to UDF2.0 No problems. It supports drag and drop also.

It is very user friendly
    and is very good esp when u are using Panny standalone recorders.

13. dude1971

dude1971

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Sweat

I had a look on the Panasonic website but it seems to refer to Panasonic drives, I've got an LG device in my PC. Does anyone have the link for the drivers so I can reformat my DVD-Ram disks?

Regards

Dude

14. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,282
    Agree with Sweet100's advice - get the Panasonic DVD-RAM Format utility and your life will be somewhat easier. Have a look and see if you can find it - if not PM/e-mail/ask again on Saturday and I will link you to it (I am on GRPS at present and am not about to make Vodafone rich by searching for it).

15. dude1971

dude1971

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK, I searched for Panasonic DVD-RAM Format utility and it still seems to refer to Panasonic drives in the PC. I read a few posts on newsgroups and there were a few people with XP that could only get their DVD-Ram drives to use UDF 1.5 and not 2.0 - I don't want to download the drivers if they are the wrong ones. It took me a few days to get the correct ones from the LG website!

Regards

the Dude

p.s. There's no rush Raszcak, please don't get a huge phone bill on my behalf mate unless it's a company mobile and you don't pay the bill :-o

16. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,282
    Roger - I'll post a link on Saturday (if I haven't posted by Saturday evening just post again to remind me - I have quite alot on between now and then and am bound to forget).

17. dude1971

dude1971

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's baffling me now. The format of the dvd-ram disc is UDF, according to the PC, but it has no space left. But there's only 4kb of files on there. However, it says I have 4.7gb free on my e50?

Regards

Dude

18. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,282
    I did forget! Here's the link to the DVD-RAM Format ultility:
    http://panasonic.co.jp/mke/support/dvdram/lim/eoem/downxp.html
    The software your interested in is the DVDForm ultility which makes formatting a DVD-RAM simple. Try this programme and hopefully it will solve your problems.

Do you have InCD running BTW? It can cause all sorts of problems in my experience.

19. dude1971

dude1971

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers guys, I'll try this and see what happens.

Regards

Dude