Creating An Install Image?

J7MAN

Having just done a fresh Vista32 install and got everything installed, how do I create an install image so I can install Vista to this point again without all the re-installing of drivers etc?

Google doesnt really throw up any clues.

Uridium

Distinguished Member
Ghost or Acronis to name but a couple of apps.

You don't say which version of vista you are running but if it's business or Ultimate you can do it with the OS backup utility.

Just type backup into the search menu and it will find it ;)

spyder viewer

try typing "Disk image" into Google instead.

J7MAN

Ghost or Acronis to name but a couple of apps.

You don't say which version of vista you are running but if it's business or Ultimate you can do it with the OS backup utility.

Just type backup into the search menu and it will find it ;)

Its Vista Ultimate. How does that utility work exactly? Looking at it, it looks like it just copies the whole OS to a series of DVDs which looking at my C: is about 39gb worth. Is that how it works? From what people had said when suggesting to do it I was under the impression it was single disk like the OS install disk?

Uridium

Distinguished Member
Its Vista Ultimate. How does that utility work exactly? Looking at it, it looks like it just copies the whole OS to a series of DVDs which looking at my C: is about 39gb worth. Is that how it works? From what people had said when suggesting to do it I was under the impression it was single disk like the OS install disk?

It can go onto DVD's yes but it's easier if you have a USB hard disk or second internal disk as it will just copy to there. When you want to do a re-install just hit F8 or boot from Vista DVd and choose repair, you can then just browse to the image and rebuild.

Only real limitation is the lack of ability to just image a single partition (but it is free)

Tip: the final image size is often quite a bit (about a 1/3 less) than Vista's estimate.

J7MAN

It can go onto DVD's yes but it's easier if you have a USB hard disk or second internal disk as it will just copy to there. When you want to do a re-install just hit F8 or boot from Vista DVd and choose repair, you can then just browse to the image and rebuild.

Only real limitation is the lack of ability to just image a single partition (but it is free)

Tip: the final image size is often quite a bit (about a 1/3 less) than Vista's estimate.

Luckily my PC has a built in removable USB drive :clap:

What do you mean by 'lack of ability to just image a single partition'?

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Q Acoustics Q3030i, Humax Aura, Roku Streambar & WandaVision Reviews and more...
Top Bottom