Creating a time-lapse video from a camcorder video

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Making Forum' started by Winyard, Sep 2, 2013.

1. Winyard

Winyard
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is it possible to create a time lapse video from a regular video?
    I have a video of around 8 hours footage, and would like that reduced to a few minutes if possible. Is there any software that would enable that?
    Thanks

2. rogs

rogs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +383
    What format is your video in?......

This kind of thing is very easy if you have an 'intraframe' video format like DV. Not so easy if you have a compressed format like the AVCHD high definition format.

With an intraframe format, you can simply use the free program Virtualdub, and use frame rate 'decimation' set to what figure you decide. So if you have 8 hours of video you want to cut down to 10 minutes, you would need to set the decimation to 48, so that you kept only one frame in every 48 of the original video.

It's simple enough to do. The problem will be the working file sizes. If you are using DV you will be dealing with something like 13GB per hour - so over 100GB of video data to start with! :eek:

If your source is HD, then even more! So you'd need to do it in 'bite size' chunks, I suspect!

All guess work until we know what format your video is in.

Unless someone knows of a way of decimating long GOP format video natively of course?......

EDIT: I just tried to decimate an AVCHD file without re-encoding it to an intraframe format, and it does actually work!
    OK, so it's not as accurate, but for this purpose, you don't really care!

Still might depend on the format of your video though?.......

Last edited: Sep 2, 2013
  3. Winyard

Winyard
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you Rogs.
    My camera is a Canon Legria HF R206 and the format is AVCHD, although when recording for a few hours it splits the file into chunks of under 1Gb.
    I'm not too knowledgeable on this so have to admit I didn't follow all you said :confused:
    Thanks again for your help :thumbsup:

4. Anders B

Anders B
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Cyberlink PowerDirector 11 ultra does timelapse with AVCHD. You can choose any speed without reencoding.
    If You have many clips it could be a little timeconsuming I used a tripod in my car and Went into town and back at 350 km/hour. Very fun. It looks very smooth and not stuttery.

5. rogs

rogs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +383
    As you can see from Anders B post, it is possible to do it with commercial editing software as well, but if you want to do it for free, then you can using the following programs.......

x.264 VFW codec: x264 VFW Codec 2273 - VideoHelp.com Downloads

download and install (very small codec program - needed to allow Virtualdub to 'read' your AVCHD files)

MP4Cam2AVI :
    Video tools/software and downloads - VideoHelp.com

Unzip files to their own folder, and run the .exe (No need to install)

Open the program, and use the default settings except for 'audio format'.
    Set that to 'Source audio (no recompression)'

Locate the required video file from the source directory, and click on it. You should see the image in the preview window. Click on 'Start' in the lower right hand corner, and the program will produce an AVI copy of your file named 'VideoOut.avi' in the target directory.
    There is no re-encoding, just a renaming of the file extension to .avi, so it will be a very quick operation.
    Close the program.

Virtualdub : VirtualDub download (at SourceForge) - virtualdub.org

Unzip the files into their own folder, and run from the .exe file. (No need to install)

Select 'open video file' in Virtualdub and look for the new 'Videoout' file you just made.

Fom the top menu, select:
    'video' , then 'frame rate' - 'frame rate conversion'- 'decimate by' - and select a value to reduce your video to the required length. (decimate by 25 will retain 1 frame per second, for example). Click OK.
    From the same top menu select 'Video' again, and then select 'direct stream copy'.

Then select 'Audio' from the top menu, and select 'No audio' (the audio is useless now anyway, so no point is slowing things down by saving it.....)

Select 'File' from the top menu, and 'Save as Avi' --

Again, because there is no re-encoding, it all happens pretty fast.

Finally, open your new file again in Virtualdub, and select:

'Video' - 'Frame rate' - and then 'Source rate adjustment' -- then 'change frame rate to' and select 25.

Check that the video setting is still on 'direct stream copy' and save this new file.

That will then replay your 'decimated' video at 25fps, to give you the time lapse video you need.

May seem a bit complex, but once you've done it once, it gets easier to remember :).........and it is all free, so if you don't get on, no money lost, and you could then try one of the commercial packages --like the one Anders B suggested for example.....

Last edited: Sep 9, 2013
  6. Winyard

Winyard
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Wow, thank you once again Rogs and Anders for your very detailed help :smashin:

I've just realised that my laptop came with Cyberlink Power Director 10. I've never used it as yet, and wondering how much difference there is with version 11? the price to upgrade isn't prohibitive, and so if it's going to prove much easier to create the time lapse videos with version 11 then I'll upgrade, but also interested to know whether it really is necessary?
    Thank you again.

7. Winyard

Winyard
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys,
    Any possibility you could advise whether there is much difference between Power Director 10 & 11?
    Thanks

8. TheShadowman

TheShadowman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Have a look here

The new major features of CyberLink PowerDirector 11 include:
    •Create higher quality videos quickly, with the enhanced Magic Movie creator.
    •Use Content Aware Editing* to quickly find the most exciting parts and fix the poor parts of your video clips.
    •Unleash your PC's speed with TrueVelocity™ 3*.
    •Full round trip editing experience with AudioDirector*, ColorDirector*, and PhotoDirector*.
    •Import 2K* and 4K* Ultra HD video, and video or audio with up to 7.1 channels for editing.
    •Enhanced PowerDirector Design Studio (PiP Designer, Particle Designer, Title Designer, Menu Designer) for more precise, powerful, and creative editing of your movie production and discs.
    •Create 4 color gradient* borders and text in the PiP Designer, Title Designer, and Menu Designer.
    •Import and edit video with 5.1 channel audio, without the need to downmix it to 2 channel when previewing.
    •Utilize the updated Fix/Enhance tools to fix the lighting and white balance in media, or rotational camera shake* in videos.
    •View all the frames in the timeline of video files with frame rates of 50 or 60 frames per second.
    •Output movie productions in the Matroska (MKV)* video file format.
    •Output video in one of many 2K* or 4K* Ultra HD formats.
    •Undock the preview window for a larger view of your video and timeline.
    •Edit and customize the PowerDirector keyboard hotkeys for a more personalized editing experience.

Note: * optional feature in CyberLink PowerDirector. Check the version table for detailed versioning information. Please consult CyberLink PowerDirector product page for the most recent information.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2013
  9. 12harry

12harry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +387
    Wow! - that reads like a lot of Tech for a budget Editor . . . and if you really can import/edit/export 4K that will be useful when 4K becomes available for family filming!
    Some of the features appear to need a 64-bit OS -and more memory - only to be expected IMHO.

However, it's never been a popular choice, rarely mentioned here and that's a worry. If OP needs to speed-up his footage, one wonders why he didn't think how this would work, before filming started...

In taking the Cyber-Link -to- Amazon, found a paperback explaining How to do things in Sony's Movie Studio v12 (can't say if this Software will do what OP needs, possibly not - for the reason suggested above ) - but at £12 it looks like a Good Read, so thanks for the link, TheShadowman.

10. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,515
    Which thread do you want them moved to Graham?

Mark.

11. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,159
  12. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,515
    Posts moved as requested

Mark.

13. rogs

rogs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +383
    A quick look at the manual only seems to suggest a 'time lapse' feature that requires putting still images onto the timeline ... unless I've misread it?....

Maybe AndersB could tell how it works in version 11, and you could check to see if you can find the same way in version 10?....

I've made a very short (10 second) example of how it might look, using the freeware I linked to earlier. Only took a few minutes to do.....

The file is only about 4MB : http://www.jp137.com/lvs/clk.m2ts

14. Anders B

Anders B
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I searched on PowerDirector tutorials on YouTube and it seems that PD10 can only do timelapse from pictureslideshow. With PD11 though its very simple. JUst put any filmclip into the timeline and choose "Power Tools" where you then can choose any speed you like from the clip. Then drag next clip to the timeline (or storyboard) and do the same procedure.

15. 12harry

12harry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +387
    Isn't this the "wrong-way-round"?

OP has video-footage and wants to select every tenth-(or hundredth, thousandth, etc.)-frame so as to make a speeded-up movie, e.g. overhead-view of cars being parked, crowd-flow - and such.

If he's expected to do anything manually, that defeats the purpose of the Question...?

-or have I misunderstood the situation?

8hrs = 480m
    Final time 2min (say), so, reduction of Frames ~ 1/240
    to do this "manually" will mean selecting 240 frames out of the original movie 8hrs.
    Yikes!

FWIW it might be worth looking at GoPro website, as these cameras will collect a lot of footage and speeding-up to a "watchable length" might be up their street...

Last edited: Sep 9, 2013
  16. rogs

rogs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +383
    Not sure exactly how it works with Power Director Harry, but with Virtualdub you simply select the frame rate option, and enter the number you wish to 'decimate' the footage by. (OK, I know 'decimate' strictly means 'cut by ten', but in this case it's a flexible use of the word! :))

So if you enter 'decimate by 100', you only save one frame in every 4 seconds......

......but it does that automatically, and if you select 'direct stream copy' it all happens very fast

Then simply take the new file and increase the frame rate to 25 again. Automatic time lapse......
    (short example in my post above)

Simples! :)

17. 12harry

12harry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +387
    Sounds good rogs, I might even try it myself for the effects I mentioned - er, but starting with something like 3min to end-up with a quick snatch . . . . Thanks.

I wonder why such a feature isn't mainstream in Editors under "Time-stretching"
    When watching things like plant-growth, there might be an option to "blend frames" or just to 'blend outer regions' - where the eye might be distracted if something moved which is not central to the purpose....

18. rogs

rogs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +383
    Just a quick note to say I've edited post #5 to include a 'no audio' instruction.
    Not essential, but speeds things up .... no point in saving 'decimated' audio....