Creating a New Home Theater Room

karcer

Novice Member
I am building a new home, my present set up was installed 18 plus years ago with an upgrade to the projector and receiver 3 years ago, so I am not up to date with the latest tech Which is why I come here.
There is a dedicated windowless room that is 4.3m wide by 5m long. There will be an equipment room behind for storage of all the equipment etc.
I am presently partial to the EPSON 9400 but that is not certain at this time. I have recently discovered that projection screens come in curved as well so I am trying to determine the best path forward.
1) curved screen or flat screen? What are the better screens available today( we are thinking a 141" diagonal)? other questions include fixed vs ceiling mounted retractable. I am a little worried about having the screen open to the world in a fixed application, (having the screen exposed at all times).
2) EPSON 9400 or alternate projector? Our present intention is to mount the projector in the equipment room, so aprox 5m from the screen,
I am also considering different in wall /in ceiling speaker systems. We are likely going with Dolby ATMOS. I am today partial to the Monitor Audio series as I presently have a Set of Silvers in my 5.1 set up but have been considering IW260X for fronts and center, have recently heard about the KEF Ci3160 RLB-THX with Ci200RS for ceiling. I have note settled on the Sub system yet. The installer has mentioned Dali but I know nothing about the brand and have never heard them so opinions welcome.
I have not really considered the receiver at present, I use a Yamaha today but the installer is suggesting a Denon. I will have to make sure there is enough power and channels for the system obviously, so feedback on the better receivers of the day would also be appreciated.
We intend on having a DVD player, we will need a multi area player if that exists as we are moving from Canada to Portugal. We also intend on using the WWW to access Canadian content, or utilize things like Amazon Prime.
I know it is a bit of a big ask but I am looking for opinions so that I can narrow my research.
I would like to thank everyone who helps in advance for their assistance.

Last edited:

karcer

Novice Member
We are presently at 2 rows, with the first row 3m from the screen which would put the viewers head at about 3.3m or slightly over 10 ft, we could even reduce to single row

password1

There are guides available on screen size to viewing distance ratios but imo its whatever you feel comfortable with and looks good without giving you neck strain

Regardindg curved projector screens this thread might be useful

what is it you're finding the silvers are lacking?

do you have a budget in mind for a sub?

karcer

Novice Member
Thanks Password, the Silvers are not lacking at all, I am moving from Canada to Portugal so I am not taking them with me, for shipping reasons. Monitor Audio is not easy to find in Portugal and I have found KEF dealers, Also read on here that KEF was a reasonable Home Theater Speaker especially the Ci3160 and the Ci200RS. If that is inaccurate please feel free to let me know.
I was thinking of using 2 SVS PB2000 subs, but I have very little knwoledge of subs, the last time I bought subs, some 18 years ago my requirement was in my basement when the diasaur stepped in Jurassic park and you saw the water in the glass ripple, the water in my glass had to ripple.

sebna

I have very similarly sized room. My recommendation is to look at JVC projectors. X7900 is what I use and I am very happy with it. They are supposed to be a step up from Epson offerings.

I use 133" 16x9 from 2.6m and it is great. I don't think you will be disappointed with 141" at your planned distance.

Fixed screen. Had same concerns but other forum members quickly let me know there is nothing to worry about.

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
Thanks Password, the Silvers are not lacking at all, I am moving from Canada to Portugal so I am not taking them with me, for shipping reasons. Monitor Audio is not easy to find in Portugal and I have found KEF dealers, Also read on here that KEF was a reasonable Home Theater Speaker especially the Ci3160 and the Ci200RS. If that is inaccurate please feel free to let me know.
I was thinking of using 2 SVS PB2000 subs, but I have very little knwoledge of subs, the last time I bought subs, some 18 years ago my requirement was in my basement when the diasaur stepped in Jurassic park and you saw the water in the glass ripple, the water in my glass had to ripple.

Those Kef speakers are similar quality to their R-range and also THX Ultra2 rated so they meet certain performance metrics aswell. The question comes down do you fancy some change or stick with Monitor Audio (IW-260X). Another popular option would be M&K IW950 or M&K IW150 if you have them available in Portugal. The latter might be too expensive.

The 2000 range from SVS is good pick without doubt and the new Pro models are even better so it certainly is strong option and locally available in few stores what i could find. We have members using two PB16Ultras in same size to yours so it all comes down to how much you want to spend and what kind of experience/headroom you are after.

Arendal 1723 1V would be great alternative although at higher price, but the shipping should be free for EU countries! They have reviews on the site if you aren`t familiar with the products and i will put one video to show it in room. Great support/service so if you want to ask anything from them, send email! The 1723 range has 10year cab/driver warranty and 5years for amp. Over the 6years or so they have been up it has come evident that they offer great products. This latest range is fairly new aswell and by the feedback it sounds superb!

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: LG C1 OLED + JBL Synthesis SDR-35 First Thoughts, plus TV Show & Disc Reviews & more
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom