Creating a media centre from scratch..

panasonicman666

Standard Member
Hi All,

I am in the process of renovating my house and my wife has agreed we can have a projector in the back room, i have an idea on what i want but i am not too sure if it can be done.

I will add pics at the weekend but for now...

Screen - Cinemax tab tension - Installed in the ceiling - in the next few weeks we will have this wired to a switch remote so i can put it up and down easy - I am not going to wire into the projector as i originally through as i want the option of putting up and down myself.

projecotor - Havent yet bought - this is approx 3.5 metres away from the screen 9Screen is 100 inch)

I have wired cat 6 cables to one main point and will be running HDMI from this point to the projector and the 2nd and 3rd TV's in the room (we are not sure where to put the TV)

I have a yamaha amp (RV 675) and a new speaker set (i have forgotten the make but they sounds awesome), now this is where things get a little tricky.

I can send the signal from this main point to the screens but i want an interface - for example my brother has a 60 inch LG TV, the interface is fantastic, his HDD is plugged into the side of the screen and it works straight away, no need for a laptop - I am having a laptop in the corner along with blu ray, tivo box and probably a PS3 all wired into the amp and on to the projector but i was thinking about buying a broken TV so i can remove the innards and make my projector the TV screen.

Has anyone done this or is there a better way of doing it?

In addition - The CAT 6 cables all run to one central point in the house, would it be easier to put the media centre in this part and connect to the projector from there?

Questions questions questions.......

No rush on any of this - time scales wise - in the next 2 months i will have the room plastered so all i need to do for now is ensure all the correct cables are in, i can then once plastered build my media cabinet and start to get the AV eqipment installed.

Oh - I also have sonus but i was thinking of leaving this seperate - Plus i was hoping i can control this all through an i phone - not much to ask eh!

Thank you all,

Cheers

Mike

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
You lost me at removing the innards of a TV to convert a projector to a TV screen :)

Joe

dante01

Distinguished Member
I think that the op is trying to hijack the smart features associated with the TV for use in conjunction with his PJ? A much simpler solution is to buy an IP streaming device such as an Apple TV, Roku etc and use this to access the features you would associate with a SMART TV.

UK - What is Roku | Roku Streaming Player

Shop Apple TV - Apple Store (UK)

Many Blu-ray players and Freeview boxes now also have such IP SMART capabilities built into them.

ChuckMountain

Distinguished Member
Yep I wouldn't break up an old TV because as dante01 you will be able to get that in a standalone box (or blu ray) and there are loads on the market now. Now TV etc. Some of the TV manufacturers do standalone boxes which will probably be more up to date then the broken TV.

Stripping a broken TV means all sorts of issues from 230V and some big capacitors plus you then have to put it in a box and it may not function without the screen etc.

My projector screen I had wired into a switch which also had a custom built toggle so that either the PJ controlled it or I could use the up down switch manually. Gives best of both worlds.

panasonicman666

Standard Member
Toggle switch - yeah i will get one of them thank you.

You have it with the interface i was thinking of doing - I have a blue ray player and was going to get an XMBC box but i dont know a hugh amont about them.

I was worried if i used something like now TV it would be out of date or not function as i want, simply i want to be able to access smart functions (and update them as and when), in addition i have items on a memory stick and want to be able to play them also without the use of a laptop.

i need to look more into what has been said above and look at the other options.

I am 99% sure i have all the wires already in place, the only thing i am unsure on is - - -Re the projector, i have power, 2 x hdmi (3D ones) a coax and 1 x ethernet - Do i need any more?

Cheers

ChuckMountain

Distinguished Member
You only need one HDMI cable to the PJ if you are switching via your amp. But a spare never hurt. Also consider something to run the 12V trigger over. You could just run another CAT5\6 cable and use that and terminate it as required.

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Streaming/Media Storage questions are best looked asked/researched in the dedicated Forum - Streamers & Network Media Players | AVForums

Cabling wise to the Projector you look OK.

Positioning of the Media Store is down to how you will control/interact with it - no reason for it not to be out of the way (often preferable as they can be noisy and produce a lot of heat).

Joe

panasonicman666

Standard Member
perfect information everyone thank you very much, i know what and how i am going to work/wire everything which is great thank you.

The only question i have now is - 5.1 or 7.1? I have the space for 7.1 but am unsure where i should layout with my room, a pic is below??

Attachments

• back room layout.png
    back room layout.png
    26.6 KB · Views: 39

panasonicman666

Standard Member
all sorted with the layout now, roku bought - some things are great but i doesnt seem to have the free channels i expected, everything seems to be in american!!

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Q Acoustics Q3030i, Humax Aura, Roku Streambar & WandaVision Reviews and more...
Top Bottom