Creating a combined disco and movie room

macca4848

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'd like some advice from the experts and whether I'm going about this the right way.

I'm fortunate enough to be in the process of converting our cellar. We're in the first fix phase so want to get all the wires sorted now. The room that will mainly be used by the kids for playing and movies, but some times used by the big kids (me, wife and our friends) for parties

It's 7m x 4m and 2.2-ish high.

The picture is what I'm currently thinking of, with HT at one side of the room, with Sofa and TV on the wall

Here are my Qs please.

1. Is this set up ok to run a 5.2.4 set up...or does the sofa being on the back wall where the speakers are not work
  2. For parties can i turn this system in to a stereo system? Could speakers 1 and 2 combine to be the left channel and 3 and 4 combine to the be the right...i was thinking if they were mounted on the wall they could turn to point in to the room not at the sofa. Do any amp support Dolby Atmos and Stereo where you can choose which speakers to pair?
  3. is there are better way to achieve what i'm trying to do
  4. Any recommendations on kit with a budget up to £2k
Many thanks for your help
basement.jpg

Welcome to the Forum.

With the sofa being against the rear wall then that does basically rule out 5.1.4 unless you are prepared to move the sofa out into the room by around a metre. Even then it would be tight. I'd also suggest you move the screen more into the middle of the room so as to get the speakers out of their respective corners.

With the shape of the room the ideal placement of the screen would be on that short wall then a full 7.1.4 is very possible. It would take a little bit more floor space but would be very much better. Any speaker firing the short way into a room is always going to be compromised. You have the room use it wisely.

As for stereo then all current AV amps have the ability to engage all channel stereo and will output the right channel to all the connected speakers marked as such, same goes for the left.

Budget wise if you are talking about a full 5.1.4 with a nine channel amp then your budget is going to be very restrictive, especially with the space you have to fill. I hate to say it but to need to be looking at adding another grand for it to become a good sounding room. Nine channel amps with enough power are not cheap any more, speakers need to be of a quality that will fill the room and a room that size would also benefit from two subwoofers.

A Denon X3700 would be the amp I would go with and this is the cheapest I've seen it for a long time. There goes 50% of your current budget.

is there are better way to achieve what i'm trying to do
I think you are over complicating this. It makes a lot more sense to put the TV on the right wall, and use the left and right front speakers of the surround system whenever you want to have a party. The only problem is the sofa location, but in those occasions you can easily push it aside to the south wall.

You've got a very similar sized space to me. I originally started out with the room orientated like you are planning, but then moved everything round as suggested above. I'd have your couch one end, TV/Projector the other and leave space in the middle if you want to use the room for parties.

I'd have the screen on the wall between the doors and the couch at the opposite end.

Couch off the wall to allow for 5.1.4 and use multi channel stereo for you parties

If you spin the room around by 90 degrees as many have suggested and install a 7.1.4 system. Most AVRs will have an all channel stereo mode where all the speakers are used for whole room stereo. With 7.1.4 you will have speakers pretty much everywhere so there would be good whole room coverage for a Disco/ Dance party.

Thanks for all your advice. Just spent the day wiring for 5.1.4 with the room turned round 90 degrees as advised!

Hi, the build is almost complete so head shifting to making use of all the wires I’ve put in place.

Could anyone recommend an amp and speaker set for a £3k to £4k budget please

The .4 are all ceiling speakers and only floorboards on kitchen above so speakers that don’t fill the room above ideally.

As always - thanks for your help

Denon X3700 is a good buy for the money.

Speakers and subwoofers are very personal choice.. I opted for Dali Oberons but the choices are huge

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom