1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Creating a CDV

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by newtoallthis, Dec 16, 2004.

1. newtoallthis

newtoallthis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all.
    I have created my first short movie using Windows MM2.

This may seem a naive question, but how do I create a CDV that I can then play in a DVD player?

Can't seem to find any relevant help in the software, so any assistance would be gratefully received.

Regards

Paul

2. Brian110507

Brian110507

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Don't know what a CDV is.

If you want to make a VCD (Video CD) or SVCD (Super Video CD) or better still a DVD to play in a DVD player you will need another editing package. The VCD created by MovieMaker cannot be played on a DVD player only in a computer. Have a look at editing programmes from Ulead or Pinnacle among many others all of which produce VCD's , SVCD's and DVD's which *should* play on your DVD player to your TV.

3. laser

laser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    You could also try Nero 6 to create a VCD, SVCD or DVD. You could download a trial version to test it out. It's also worth having Nero Vission Express 3 whch can do marvellous things with video files and converting them to correct format for DVD.

www.nero.com

4. newtoallthis

newtoallthis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yep, VCD it should have been :blush:

So if I understand correctly I can't actually create the VCD from the MM2 file, I've got to convert it into another format first?

Paul

5. figrin_dan

figrin_dan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    Just FYI, a CDV is a 5" analog video disc which holds about 4 mins of video - Only playable in laserdisc/CDV players.

What format is the MM2 file?

6. newtoallthis

newtoallthis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Figrin_Dan,

It is currently saved as .WMV. Does this make a difference?

Paul

7. Brian110507

Brian110507

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes - that is just above the very lowest quality video you can get.

If you are capturing from a DV camera you should capture - edit - and save as .avi to preserve your quality. and only convert the final video to an appropriate format when you are ready to burn a disc. Most programmes should be able to accept an .avi and change it as necessary when you tell it what sort of disc you want to burn. Failing that if you have already captured as mpeg then you need mpeg-1 Not mpeg-2 for a VCD.

8. Centurion

Centurion

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you are going to make a vcd or svcd be sure to know you will be dissapointed with the end product. These formats go through alot of compression (meaning low picture quality) so that they will fit on a cd. If you have the money buy a dvd writer and save yourself all the hassle.