Creating a 5.1 System utlising existing Hifi System

Rich Drury

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi folks

My first post here for some time, apologies if im in the wrong section but figure its cabling/connection advice i require.

Currently have the optical output of my tv feeding a Naim Unitilite and it subsequently feeds a pair of KEF R300 stand mount speakers. Nice sound for TV via the SKY Q box ( Dolby switched off in Sky Q settings ) and superb sound for music via the Naim built in amplifier.

I would like to add a home cinema amp and a centre channel speaker ( later adding a subwoofer )

I wish to however retain the Naim for music and not feed the speakers solely from the home cinema amp. Is there a way of doing this without a speaker selector switch ( only ever seen cheap things in Maplins for this purpose ), dont really want the aggro of manually switching if possible.

Sincere thanks for the advice in anticipation

IMG_4323_zpskry6qvq7.jpg

Last edited:
Could you give us an idea of your budget?

I only ask because researching a matching centre for your R300s, comes up with the R200c at £800(ish).

Also the UniLite only has one analogue output (for pre-amp) via stereo 4-pin DIN. And obviously the stereo binding posts.

You should be able to set one of the Analogue Inputs on the Naim to fixed 'AV' - you then ensure whichever AVR you go with has Analogue multi-channel Outputs and connect the Front LR Out of the AVR to the 'AV' Input on the Naim.

That way the Naim is powering the Front LR for Movies (with the AVR doing all the processing, level setting and Vol) and still working as you Hi-Fi for Music Sources connected directly to the Naim.

Joe

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom