• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Create XP Lite to run from a USB drive

Raspberry

Standard Member
I think I saw a computer mag carrying an article on creating a stripped down version of XP to run from a USB drive recently. Does anyone know which magazine this was in or alternatively how one would go about doing it?

Thanks

y2k

Just google windows xp usb edition and you should find the info you need. You can download windows xp usb edition from various places but its best to make your own legit one, found this out after downloading one (60mb) that did not work for me so ended up making my own.

MarkE19

Bart PE Builder is excellent. I have used it to create bootable CD's with Passmark BurnInTest for testing failed Hardware on works old Dell PC's.

Mark.

Uridium

Distinguished Member
Just remember that booting an OS of a USB flash drive can cause the Flash drive to fail quite quickly. Flash drives usually have a limited number of writes (around 10k) from memory which although sounds a lot when used as the boot device for an OS isn't very much.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom