Create blu-ray on DVD

rojgelf

Distinguished Member
I just upgraded from VideoStudio 11.5 to pro X5 . There used to be an option to create a HD DVD on a Dvd9 disc, it would not play in dvd player and held 45 ish mins of HD material. That option is not there in X5 but I assumed there would be an option to do the same with a BD on a dvd disc. I can't find it though, how do I do that?

There is only BD on 50 or 25 gb disc or BD-j on 8.5gb disc, what is that? Size looks like a dvd but it says no when I try and use it.

Last edited:

chrishull3

I just upgraded from VideoStudio 11.5 to pro X5 . There used to be an option to create a HD DVD on a Dvd9 disc, it would not play in dvd player and held 45 ish mins of HD material. That option is not there in X5 but I assumed there would be an option to do the same with a BD on a dvd disc. I can't find it though, how do I do that?

There is only BD on 50 or 25 gb disc or BD-j on 8.5gb disc, what is that? Size looks like a dvd but it says no when I try and use it.
Blu-ray Disc - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia May be worth a study,what you call blu ray on a blank dvd disks is known as avchd discs,all the softwares i have now and have used allow between 30-35mins on a 4.7GB dvd blank.Pro X ? not coral as that has an avchd disc option.

rojgelf

Distinguished Member
Blu-ray Disc - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia May be worth a study,what you call blu ray on a blank dvd disks is known as avchd discs,all the softwares i have now and have used allow between 30-35mins on a 4.7GB dvd blank.Pro X ? not coral as that has an avchd disc option.
Yes I mean Corel video studio x5 and i think you are right avchd is new to me - my camcorder is hdv, but looks like the option i need. Explains why all the googling last night on BD9 only seemed to find links that were 3 years old.

chrishull3

Yes I mean Corel video studio x5 and i think you are right avchd is new to me - my camcorder is hdv, but looks like the option i need. Explains why all the googling last night on BD9 only seemed to find links that were 3 years old.
Yes you can make AVCHD discs from HDV as well as avchd chip cams

12harry

Some software will allow it (creation of AVCHD discs to play in BD players), but some eg Vegas' DVD Architect Studio, won't (although I read it used-to).

The results are very good (on suitable TV/projector, etc), but I'm finding I need to be a bit more selective in both "taking" and in Edit - to make the most of the higher definition experience. This route was forced on me when DVD Architect Studio packed up for no ovbious reason (Sony's upgrade wiped it off! - DYOR.)

The snag I've found is that I can't get have an interactive AVCHD-Playlist, although there are some free authoring packages that claim they work OK....but it's a tedious struggle, when I'd rather be Filming when the sun's out - and Editing when it isn't.

I tried Coral's free 30 day trial and never used it - can't even start Editing.....looks like my clips have gone into a shreader.... not at all intuitave, IMHO. Vegas is 10x easier and half the price, even if you buy the Production Suite - but don't expect any Support.... Forums will help with all those "How do I?..." - so, that's another reason for using a package that is "popular".

Last edited:

rojgelf

Distinguished Member
I burnt an avchd to DVD with Corel videostudio x5 and I like the results, not too hard to do either, although interface has not really changed from when ulead owned version 11, so I already knew what to do.

vkmast

Novice Member
12harry,
re Vegases and DVD Architects dropping the AVCHD disc option (without a workaround) in the software's later 2011 builds, SCS support did recently come out with the obvious reason. See this thread (the post 7/6/2012)
Sony Creative Software - Forums - Vegas Pro - Video Messages
Unfortunately, that feature was taken out due to legality issues with the Blu-ray format trademark, and had to be taken out in a newer build of the software.

chrishull3

I burnt an avchd to DVD with Corel videostudio x5 and I like the results, not too hard to do either, although interface has not really changed from when ulead owned version 11, so I already knew what to do.
Glad it worked out ,any software that does not include an easy AVCHD render burn option is not up to much.

12harry

I guess the issue is that Sony has to be seen to adhering to the BlueRay rules and as vkmast suggests it is no longer allowed. Oddly, it used to be the way to make budget HD quality discs, but then Big Business thought they'd rip-off punters by forcing us to buy expensive BD discs.

Pretty unreasonable, if very few of us make lengthy vids. - but they think they are being ever-so clever.

Thank goodness for the Internet, or we'd be paying full-price for everything.

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic HZ2000 OLED TV Review: The best OLED for movie viewing in 2020
Top Bottom