Create a CMS based website

sleepyone

Novice Member
Been a while since I last produce one of these and wanted to ask the learned people of these hallowed forums for advice please? :hiya:

Last time I used a CMS called mambo I think but not sure if it will meet my requirements.

Basically I want to create a website for my wedding next year where my relatives/friends can go to, login and upload their photos that they took.

Provide a gallery where you view small versions of the photos and the ability to view/save/print the original/bigger version of the photo.

And obviously give me some control over how the website looks.

I have a shared hosting site already that runs .NET 4 and MSSQL 2008 which i used while trying to learn .NET but gave that up as a bad job, my brain can't compute this new fangled OO thing :laugh:

Anyone got any ideas?

Thanks,
Mark

imightbewrong

Distinguished Member
They can all upload to a Flickr albumn, then you can organise it there and/or use the Flickr api to create a website if you want to.

sleepyone

Novice Member
Ok cool, that sounds good. Will have a look and a play, Didn't think Flicker would let me change the layout and stuff to let me have a personalised site?

Elrond

Have you had a look at Wordpress? There's probably plenty of add ons for galleries and there's plenty of themes out there as well.

imightbewrong

Distinguished Member
Ok cool, that sounds good. Will have a look and a play, Didn't think Flicker would let me change the layout and stuff to let me have a personalised site?

No, but it provides all the mechanisms for uploading etc. and viewing in their site. Then if you want you could use their API to build your own website and link into the photos on there. The website could be pretty simple, and just query flickr for, for example, a albumn or set, get the photos and display.

Just an idea. There are probably plenty of other solutions out there, including some 'turn key' ones.

SanPedro

Have you had a look at Wordpress? There's probably plenty of add ons for galleries and there's plenty of themes out there as well.

+1

Loads of free themes to choose from. Piece of cake to install and you can add on loads of plug-ins to suit your needs for stuff like galleries. And you can have full control over what access you give contributors (via another plug-in).

Can't recommend it highly enough.

And it's free... :)

Dextur

Distinguished Member
You'll struggle to do better than a simple a Wordpress install until you need custom Enterprise CMS solutions.

The permissions you need can be done natively in 3.3 and the gallery effect you can choose from dozens of plugins, almost all support cool light box effects etc.

You'll even be able to find a nice gallery theme and jazz it up in seconds.

You can even add categories so your family can upload into easily sortable sections etc.

We implement Wordpress solutions into high end corporate clients it's now so robust.

imightbewrong

Distinguished Member
Looks perfect.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Samsung TV Launch & QN95A Neo QLED Review, plus Film & TV news & Reviews
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom